3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Don't Lose Your Key!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you only have one key you have to go to dodge with your registration, ID and the VIN number.... They put it in the computer and then a few weeks later you get a key from the factory and a price that is way to high...

My cousin is a parts manager at dodge.. First thing he told me was to make 2 extra keys.. I think you can make up to 5 (as long as you have 2 programed keys).and then it won't make any more..

It is all in the manual..

I also had a non chipped key made and put it in a hide a key magnetic holder.. If I lock my keys in the truck I can get in.. If someone should crawl under my truck and find it at least they can't start the truck and take it..
Old 01-03-2007, 09:59 PM

That is what I did when I got my 07...two new non chipped keys. Now I better bop over and get a few chippers. Something else to spend money on.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lomarker
Can you only have a spare made at the Dodge dealer? Also, how much does it cost to get a spare if you have both keys still?
You can get spare "chip" keys on the "net" for about 15 bucks each. Then you take them to a locksmith and have them professionally cut (don't do it at WallysWorld) I have 2 spares in my safe cost; around $40.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:56 PM

Crap.....none on epay matched my numbers. I guess I'll have to be careful until they show up. Dealer wants about $130 for a blank chipper.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by butchb
Yes Megan, you need two keys to be able to program a third one yourself, other wise it's a trip to the dealer. And I'll bet Silverbullet had the remote entry key to cost that much!
F.Y.I you can pickup blank chipped on ebay for about $20-$25 & program them yoursely IF you have two keys!

Yup, it is a remote entry one, I can only imagine the ones that are remote start too Went in there today and only took about 45 minutes cause there were a few people ahead of me. Oh well.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by butchb
Yes Megan, you need two keys to be able to program a third one yourself, other wise it's a trip to the dealer. And I'll bet Silverbullet had the remote entry key to cost that much!
F.Y.I you can pickup blank chipped on ebay for about $20-$25 & program them yoursely IF you have two keys!
Thank you very much for the info! I appreciate it!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullet02
Lost the spare key to my '07 somewhere in Ohio, just got a new one out here in WA...$277! So, word to the wise, don't lose a key. My butt still hurts...

Brian
Yep that is one of the bad parts of having an anti theft device built in to the key. Now if you would of had to old key fob type like the 2005 and older have it would have been a lot cheaper. Is this what they call modern tech at work?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:18 PM

I wish there were a way to use an 06 key on my 05. does anybody know if it can be done?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
something to keep in mind when installing a Viper alarm too. One of your spare keys has to be integrated into the system to utilize the door lock features.
Its not the door lock features its the anti-theft system. "Chip-in-the-key" to trick the truck into thinking the key is in the cylinder. The remote start uses a transponder device which the key goes in to and a wire coil loop around the key cylinder when activated simulates the key being there. I'm liquored up tonight...
Old 01-04-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by AAmeeting
Its not the door lock features its the anti-theft system. "Chip-in-the-key" to trick the truck into thinking the key is in the cylinder. The remote start uses a transponder device which the key goes in to and a wire coil loop around the key cylinder when activated simulates the key being there. I'm liquored up tonight...
I have been using a different module that does not require the use of the factory key for remotestart. It reads the data bus system.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullet02
Lost the spare key to my '07 somewhere in Ohio, just got a new one out here in WA...$277! So, word to the wise, don't lose a key. My butt still hurts...

Brian
Well I lost one of my keys this morning at a house fire and the dealer was kind enough to bend me over gently for $153 for the key and $90 to program it . I told the parts guy "dude its not an IPod its a frick'n key". I just got through telling my wife not 4 days ago about this thread and that I need to get some spares made. Word to the wise, go get some spares made before you fall victim to another dealer scRAPING.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
Well I lost one of my keys this morning at a house fire and the dealer was kind enough to bend me over gently for $153 for the key and $90 to program it . I told the parts guy "dude its not an IPod its a frick'n key". I just got through telling my wife not 4 days ago about this thread and that I need to get some spares made. Word to the wise, go get some spares made before you fall victim to another dealer scRAPING.
You guys need to find a new dealer, we get 0.2hrs to program a sentry or fob(and that's not each, that's as many as you want up to 8 if you have skreem) That would work out to $18 if it's done at the $90/hr rate.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:40 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...0973QQtcZphoto

here is the EBAY link to transponder keys for less! I got the 2 keys delivered, cut, and ready to program for 40 $'s.

Paying the EDIT 278 $'s for keys is blasphemy!!

Furthermore, it just goes to show you how the EDIT's really feel about their customers (bend over)!!!
anyway....
Old 01-13-2007, 01:05 PM

Would that type of key work on a new '07? Didn't know they had ones like that. I had only seen the big remote keys like the ones I have. I would like the small style better I believe.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:47 PM

Is this only for the "Sentry" Alarm System

When I bought my truck it did not list the Sentry Alarm System on the window sticker. The keys I got have the remote entry (lock.unlock/panic) buttons. I don;t see the 'security' indicator light up when I start the truck.

So, will extra keys be expensive (>$150) for my truck or is it only those with the special alarm system? In other words, are all keys chipped or just the 'Sentry" ones?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Don't Lose Your Key!!!