3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dodge Security

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Security

How good is the factory alarm and sentry keys in preventing our trucks from getting stolen? I police friend of mine told me the Mega Cabs are getting stolen and I was thinking about upgrading my security system. What do yall think about it?
Old 11-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Banned

My 03 was stolen....never to be found.
It did not have the factory alarm.
My 06 does have the alarm.
So far, so good.
With it armed, opening the tail gate, bumping a tire or the hitch, or slightly tapping a body panel or glass sets the alarm off.
I realize that if someone wants the truck bad enough, theres not much I or anyone can do. Other than standing watch 24/7, or keeping it locked up behind an electric fence with an alligator filled moat and armed tweakers with hair trigger fingers in the watch towers... I cross my fingers. When I park, I crank the steering wheel full lock and put the transfer case in neutral....anything to slow some dirt bag down. Window shades go up even at night. And a neat trick I found out accidentally.....I kick the Rubbermaid drivers side floor mat up just a little so when you step on the clutch, it will not travel down far enough to engage the starter.
That said, the factory alarm is much better than nothing.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:10 PM

Doesn't the sentry key help prevent it from being able to be started?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Banned

It does...
My 03 didnt have one.
But I'm sure that there are ways without the sentry key.
Newer trucks are still reported stolen all the time...

Old 11-04-2007, 05:26 PM

My truck came with remote entry/sentry key, but I was worried about what might be happening to my truck at night when the shades were closed, so I installed the factory alarm.

I feel better knowing that if someone is thinking of trying to take my truck, the alarm will make noise and that they have fair warning that there is an alarm on the truck in the form of a blinking LED.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the sentry keys and factory alarm on my 07, but I don't think the alarm goes off unless a door is opened. Is there another level of security system from dodge that will go off from bumping the truck or opening the tail gate? If my truck does have this can I adjust the senstivity so it actually goes off?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:20 PM

Yeah I stay in hotel about three nights a week so the alarm is good but I won't be able to hear it. If I am staying in a city I don't trust I usually pull the engine fuse out.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:14 PM

Hey, you guys know there is a yellow wire up on the firewall that goes down to the starter. The connector is right up top and i think it's pretty easy to disconnect. I had to disconnect it when I put the lift on my truck and it was a snap to get loose by hand.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:26 PM

When I put my Walbro pump in, I'm gonna rig a toggle switch to it or the relay and mount the switch in a hidden are like under the seat. At least they won't be able to start it or if it does start, it won't go far. I have also been checking on those real time tracking devices. They are around $500, but at least I could track the turd that steals it and give some old fashioned justice out. Maybe even pistol whip em!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:55 PM

Best Security

I dont know about you guys but I dont want to track the dude who just stole my truck....I want to find my truck still in my drive way. Check ravelco out, its cheaper than alot of alarms. I am getting one installed next week. My dad put one in his truck. Its impossible to beat. Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 AM

I have the factory alarm module and also the Ravelco. You can adjust the factory module for sensitivity.

CD
Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 PM

I have an 03 with the factory alarm, I didn't have the truck 3 months when some lowlife broke into it and busted the steering column up to try to jump it and found out he couldnt.
There is a part of the column that has an electrical winding like an alternator has all the way around it, when the lowlife breaks the column and breaks this ring it is all over, he will never be able to start it without the key near by.
My suggestion to anyone that has the factory security set up on there truck is to make sure there ignition key is at least 30-40 feet away from the truck at night so it wont start after they break the column.
That is what saved my truck, if the key was near by and the signal was reached, bye bye truck....
What is also funny is that I was able to start and drive my truck without the key in the ignition.
Also a word of wisdom, disconnect the batterys if your column has been damaged, the batterys short out in the column and both of my batterys were FRIED.
I didn't know about this until I was told by the dealer, he said they average between 3-5 stolen repairs on Rams a month in our area........
Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 AM

X3 on the Ravelco. They'll have to tow your truck to steal it.

Also look at getting Jimmi-Jammers to make it hard to open the doors. With a little screwdriver, our doors can be opened in seconds with very little visible damage.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok so if you can actually adjust the sensitivity of the factory alarm.....how do you do it? Mine probably wouldn't go off short of another truck hitting it doing 80.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 AM

Maybe I am wrong but I think the factory alarms are only conected to the door switches,something to try is open your hood,set your alarm and then slam the hood shut.If you want to pay for it you can get an alarm that will give you the status of your vehicle a quarter of a mile away.

Quick Reply: Dodge Security