3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dodge Mud Flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Mud Flaps?

I just purchased a set of four factory mud flaps for the truck and was looking at the instructions and it calls to drill holes for the install. Anybody else run these and have probs with corrosion? Have seen alot of em on trucks but never looked closely at how they were holding up. I was thinking about putting some rust proofer on the holes or just put em on using the three factory existing holes. Any thoughts?
Old 12-26-2008, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Husky molded flaps and I think they are close to the same as the Dodge molded flaps to install. I believe that I had to drill one hole in the fender and one in the wheel well liner plus the oem hole for mounting. I have had them off a coupe times and did not see any issues with the hole I drilled. Mine did come with 3M clear tape for the outside fender surface to ensure no rubbing of paint. Mine do not rub that area after mounted.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:03 PM

I have OEM on my 05

Look closely at your kits. I installed flaps on my front fenders. The screws come with some sort of skuam on the threads that protect the metal. I did take some touch up paint and paint the holes after I drilled them. I put them on 3 years ago. No problems.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:29 PM
EDR

I have the same flaps and also had to drill extra holes. I didn't have the time when I installed them a couple of months ago, but I plan to remove them and paint over the holes with some anti-rust primer.

Since the holes are covered up I figure that's all I would need to do, but I will probably also add some silicone to the screws to add an extra layer of protection, similar to what sawmillman had on the screws in his kit.

I've usually just added silicone around the holes I've drilled in my vehicles in the past and I never had a rust problem.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:51 PM

I installed mine without drilling holes. No need to invite rust.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:34 PM

Be careful on drivers front fender there is a wire loom in behind not sure if it will be affected with the mud flap screws but fender flares are very close .check quickly ,rather safe than sorry
Old 12-26-2008, 11:39 PM

also installed mine without drilling any holes but could only get 2 holes on each side to match up--so far so good
Old 12-27-2008, 10:46 AM

Mine have been on for a year, a lot of road salt around here, without any issues. I use silicone in the hole and the threads before installing.

Tip - A cheap right angle drill adapater from Harbor Fright and a short drill bit will keep you from having to remove the wheels to drill the holes...at least on my dually.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 AM

I have had mine on for 2 years. I never drilled any holes in the sheetmetal. I used existing holes where possible. I did drill a hole through the plastic inner fender. It seemed like that provided enough attachment points.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll get rust on any unprotected metal. Especially where dissimilar metals come together. Painting the holes doesn't help much, because the threads will penetrate the paint. You need something that will fill all the tiny gaps between the metal parts (fender and screw) and keep out moisture and oxygen.

Clear silicone windshield sealant has worked for me for many years. It also keeps the screws from backing out.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks, I only ended up drilling two holes for the back tab on the front flaps. I used a liberal amount of silicone and also the screws did have the threads sealed with some kind silicone also. The back flaps were installed with the just the factory holes plus the two holes in the wheel liner and before the install I plugged the holes that were unused to ensure no sand or grit is allowed to get through the holes and mess with the paint. They look great and really fit well, hope they hold up. I need to add pictures if I can figure out the technology
Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 PM

I'm considering the same mud flaps for my truck. I want some that are really low in the back, like almost to the ground. I want to keep as much FOD off my trailer as possible. How close to the ground are yours?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:00 AM

These are not what you are looking for then. They only go maybe half way to the ground on a 4x4. Look just right IMO.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:10 AM

Thanx. I'll keep looking. Or maybe modify the Mopar ones and add some material to the bottom.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
I have the OE mudflaps that were installed by the dealer after delivery. They work OK, but I found that I needed to install extra screws afterwards due to the fact that when I drive in mud (presume ice and snow is the same) that the weight of the mud repeatedly pulled the flaps off.
So far no problem with rust.

Quick Reply: Dodge Mud Flaps?