3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dodge Dealer Cutting & Welding on my Frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soon, hopefully
Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 PM

OK!! To answer the original question. As long as the repair is PROPERLY MADE by a QUALIFIED PERSON I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM driving the truck. This conclusion comes from my experiences a certified perfessional welder and my experience with frame repairs and modification. If you are AT ALL CONCERNED with the soundness of the repair that has been made have it insepeced by a local welding shop preferably one that does alot of work on heavy trucks and equipment as they will know how to do proper frame repairs.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:16 PM

Sorry guys. I didn't mean to start a war. I've read all the posts, and I appreciate the advice. This was a Dodge dealer's body shop in Tucson. I don't know if they are any good or not. The popping sound stopped though, and the truck seems to steer a little tighter now.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by donnee
Did you get the truck new or used?
The reason I ask is I was under the impression that the 05 model was the last year Dodge had the 7/70 warrenty.
Iv also got an 05 and have the warrenty.
I bought it new. I'll have to look into that 7/70 deal. I'm not sure off the top of my head.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:23 PM

I believe what most have hit on is the "Quality" of the work. That's the biggest factor in anything. I know for one my 05 quad cab long bed, has 3 frames, all welded together (one under the body/bed, and another short section behind the axle) so they can be welded and safetly, or they wouldn't have sold them in the first place (no company would sell something if it was prone to failure)

On the flip side we had a auto body shop here in RI do OUTSTANDING work. had a guy pull a 40 foot car hauler over the front of a mustang, and in 2 days they had the thing looking better than day one, NEVER have I seen such a job like that (mind you it was a ford, but that's another topic entirely) but I def. give a hats off to them. I will def. be taking my truck there if it ever needs any work due to the high quality. Now as far as most autobody shops doing welding, I might prefer to take it to a frame welder, or what not due to the fact that they are a bit more knowledgable on that subject.

To each his own. If I can't do it, I'll have somebody else do it, who can. (at least if they can do it better than me)

Besides where's the pictures?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:06 AM

I don't have a dog in this hunt but I would just like to say that bashing ALL repair shops is wrong. I had some work done in 2001 to my 2000 BMW after getting hit. It's now 2009, the car has 127,000 miles on it and I can't tell that any work was ever done.
The shop gave a lifetime warranty on every bit of work they did.

I'd grade it 'good or better' than new.

Not all shops are created equal.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:57 PM

Our shop has a life time warranty on EVERYTHING as well. Even paint!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 PM

If everyone is so concerned about welding on frames, please explain or maybe even post pictures of how you did your front mounts on your traction bars. If you are opposed to welding, whats your other options, drilling holes and bolting your brackets? I would much rather weld on my frame then drill holes in it! Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Die thread, die! You made me do it, out comes the thread die!
Attached Thumbnails Dodge Dealer Cutting & Welding on my Frame-motivator8804356.jpeg  
Old 03-01-2009, 04:26 PM

If your worried about the weld quality, take your truck to a Non-destructive testing (NDT) company. They can inspect the weld for defects without damaging it using conventional NDT methods. They can also perform a replication of the weld. This will enable the metallurist to examine the grain structure of the weld metal and base metal under a microsope. They will determine if the weld is of sound quality and compatable with the frame base metal. A reputable NDT company is 'Acuren'. They can be found in Canada and in the US. www.acuren.com. NDT is more of what should be done on the failing bridges in North America before they fail.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mocho
I really don't care what that says, anyone who looks into the material and how welding affects it would know there is no room for error and VERY few shops have people who are qualified to do it.
Bingo.....

I wouldnt let anyone other than myself weld on my truck and I myself am leery as to where I weld on it. The only place i have welded on my trucks are putting a home built gooseneck hitch in. But as a welder and an AWS CWI with some mechanical engineering schooling under my belt I understand metalurgy a slight bit better than your average joe repair shop.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An X-ray would show any imperfections.. We X-ray a lot of our welds on pipelines..
Old 03-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
An X-ray would show any imperfections.. We X-ray a lot of our welds on pipelines..
True... xray and ultra sound both will show a physical imperfection in the weld, a crack, slag, lack of fusion etc. But neither can show the property changes of the metal due to the heat affected zone and the way that the metal cools, lenght of time over which it cools, manner in which it was cooled, the heat input of the weld itself... Lot of different variables take different effects on the weld metal as well as the parent metal. The issue at hand here is not the quality of the weld, its the effect of the weld on treated frame material.

Guess the short story is if you dont know what your doing, dont do it.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:05 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blake.clark
True... xray and ultra sound both will show a physical imperfection in the weld, a crack, slag, lack of fusion etc. But neither can show the property changes of the metal due to the heat affected zone and the way that the metal cools, lenght of time over which it cools, manner in which it was cooled, the heat input of the weld itself... Lot of different variables take different effects on the weld metal as well as the parent metal. The issue at hand here is not the quality of the weld, its the effect of the weld on treated frame material.

Guess the short story is if you dont know what your doing, dont do it.
Good post, one thing that no one addressed in this post is why did it crack in the first place? if it was properly engineered and built it never would have broke under normal circumstances.. (I'm assuming this truck was not used in a Hollywood stunt show). is there any additional bracing / fish-plating needed?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe a steering brace is a wise addition to these trucks. Probably indispensable for bigger than stock tires or off-roading. I like the Defiant design: single-piece laser-cut.

Quick Reply: Dodge Dealer Cutting & Welding on my Frame