3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dodge Dealer Cutting & Welding on my Frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So, at the end of the day, does everyone actually agree that a welding repair (or modification) done to the frame, when done properly, is an acceptable means of repair? I have heard or seen nothing to directly contradict that.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Mocho
If my truck gets in a minor accident it will be fixed by me, did it before and pocketed $2,000 from their insurance, and had it fixed in a afternoon and looked like new, much better then any body shop work i've seen! If my truck gets into any major accident it will be written off, case closed, and it could sit in my driveway broke for a year, and I will be racking up miles on their rental and a lawyer will be dealing with them, at their expense Insurance company doesn't have much leverage when THEIR customer wrecks your vehicle, worst case scenario you refuse it for problems 20 or 30 times. Vehicles are never the same, and I won't have a truck I payed good money for patched back together because some idiot can't drive. Trust me, when a idiot backed into my brothers truck, his first words were "I'm sure glad for his sake you didn't drive, or that would be your truck", and because of that, my brother sold the truck because it's just never the same, no thanks!

I`ll take this as an insult , not only to myself , but all others that work in the bodyshop business

I`m not sure what shops you`ve used , but you either have bad luck , or go to some hole-in-the-wall shops....or you`re just a that can`t be pleased with anyone elses work

...and you are right , once a veh. is been wrecked it is NEVER the same. It can be fixed to the best of ANYONES ability...but it`s still been repaired...it`s either better than it was before or worse.

I`d love to see your "afternoon" 2K dollar repair done in your driveway job...did you have to paint anything , or just replace some parts?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:48 PM

I've repoed many a rental car from someone who THOUGHT they'd keep it a while.Have left the stuff that was in them sitting in their driveway.They got a extra week or so but when the insurance companys say pull the plug its pulled.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ram Daddy
I`ll take this as an insult , not only to myself , but all others that work in the bodyshop business

I`m not sure what shops you`ve used , but you either have bad luck , or go to some hole-in-the-wall shops....or you`re just a that can`t be pleased with anyone elses work

...and you are right , once a veh. is been wrecked it is NEVER the same. It can be fixed to the best of ANYONES ability...but it`s still been repaired...it`s either better than it was before or worse.

I`d love to see your "afternoon" 2K dollar repair done in your driveway job...did you have to paint anything , or just replace some parts?

It was $2,600 bill to replace the bumper, headlight, grill, paint the hood and fender, cost me $600. Got a used bumper, new headlight and grill, and polished the hood and fender, there were just lightly scuffed but I told them I want them painted so they added it to the estimate I've seen work by three different body shops. One the day after they repaired the door, the glass fell down, my dads was a frigging joke, they BUCKLED a door they were suppose to adjust, and tried to pass it off, and the paint work is the worst i've ever seen I think I could do a better job myself. Not to mention the paint line on the two tone was almost 1" off from matching the rest of the truck. He was ****** off but because he doesn't keep them long just learned to live with it, because they can't do anything right.

I hate most bodyshops for a reason, i've never seen one do a perfect job were the vehicle didn't have to go back, might be some good ones but i've yet to see any.

I think if the welding is done right it's ok, but I wouldn't accept it if my truck was in a accident that wasn't my fault.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The OP's problem was a steering box mount. We're not talking about a warped frame, major modifications, or repairing large portions of the frame. Pretty minor really, IMHO. You guys are just blowing this all out of proportion.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ace
The OP's problem was a steering box mount. We're not talking about a warped frame, major modifications, or repairing large portions of the frame. Pretty minor really, IMHO. You guys are just blowing this all out of proportion.
But were does it end? If you will weld the steering box, then you'll weld a control arm mount and it goes on and on. A much better guide is to not weld on the frame at all, unless it's a must, and then I still think someone should be notified if it's a shop doing the repair.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 PM

How would this be looked upon if the vehicle was traded to a dealer later? If the dealer see's the repair or receives a CarFax about the repair; will they honor it as a factory authorized repair and not deam any lowered value? If no value is diminished, I quess not much to worry about.
Although it may not matter, I think I would have liked to have the dealer let me know how it was to be repaired beforehand since this seems to be quite extensive.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:35 PM

mocho what is it that you do for a living? An to tell you the truth its guys like you that make our work crap because we have to rush threw it to make up for you scamming the insurance company to paint a hood you didnt paint!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by dropped2500
mocho what is it that you do for a living? An to tell you the truth its guys like you that make our work crap because we have to rush threw it to make up for you scamming the insurance company to paint a hood you didnt paint!
Scamming? Hardly. Their insurance paid me out for the accident, and I fixed my vehicle myself bud. There is nothing wrong with that, they damaged my hood, they pay for it, not my fault I could fix it for a lot cheaper, I got quotes at shops to, and that's what they wanted to fix it. If you have to rush threw work, that's the reason a lot of body shops can't put out quality work, don't blame it on anyone but yourself. There insurance couldn't careless what I did with the money or my truck, because I signed off the claim.

Now back to the thread, a dealer shouldn't care about a repair another one made, however if you told them you welded on the frame yourself, they wouldn't touch it.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 PM

yes but the shop would have painted your hood! I dont rush threw jobs cause i work hourly, i do my job right. An you never answered my question, what is it that you do for a living?

"Now back to the thread, a dealer shouldn't care about a repair another one made, however if you told them you welded on the frame yourself, they wouldn't touch it."

That doesnt make any sense dealers wont touch it cause you voided your warrenty. If you said ill pay cash they would touch it. We take in cars all the time when there is prior work done. We take pictures and documents and roll on with our business! An it doesnt matter if someone hits you and you tell there insurance company you want them to total your truck, they arent going to listen to you. If there wasnt insurance companys and you hit my truck would you pay me 25,000 dollars for my truck when you can fix it for 8,000? I doubt it. Its not the person that hit you paying for it, its the insurance company!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer is not welding on any truck frame of mine while it is under warranty.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM

yes but the shop would have painted your hood! I dont rush threw jobs cause i work hourly, i do my job right. An you never answered my question, what is it that you do for a living?

"Now back to the thread, a dealer shouldn't care about a repair another one made, however if you told them you welded on the frame yourself, they wouldn't touch it."

That doesnt make any sense dealers wont touch it cause you voided your warrenty. If you said ill pay cash they would touch it. We take in cars all the time when there is prior work done. We take pictures and documents and roll on with our business! An it doesnt matter if someone hits you and you tell there insurance company you want them to total your truck, they arent going to listen to you. If there wasnt insurance companys and you hit my truck would you pay me 25,000 dollars for my truck when you can fix it for 8,000? I doubt it. Its not the person that hit you paying for it, its the insurance company!

I now see the problem, you don't read things. He said about lowered value for TRADING the vehicle in, a dealer isn't going to touch a vehicle someone welded on the frame themselves. I think it's pretty clear what I do for a living considering i'm on my way to doing commerial vehicle inspections, but if you must know i've been doing construction for the past years. I'm not going to argue with you on the written off things, I hope it never happens but if it does a lawyer is a phone call away from getting it settled, they could screw around all they want, while rental charges pile up, and they have to fight me in court. And working with the gov't will have it's advantages don't you worry

No matter what it takes, I will never drive a vehicle that's been in the body shop for huge repairs, I would rather let a crackhead work on my truck then most bodyshops. The day anyone but an alignment shop touches my truck, will be the day it goes to the scrapyard or up for sale
Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 PM

Ok you work construction, so if my foundation cracks are you going to suggest i buy a new house or fix it? An as far as adding aftermarket parts welded to a frame, if i want a patio added to my house are you going to connect it or are you going to tell me i need to sale the house and buy one with a patio?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 PM

Ok you work construction, so if my foundation cracks are you going to suggest i buy a new house or fix it? An as far as adding aftermarket parts welded to a frame, if i want a patio added to my house are you going to connect it or are you going to tell me i need to sale the house and buy one with a patio?
Same as a truck, if the crack is to big, it all has to come out, or else it's a patch job, sure people will patch it together, but doesn't mean it's right! Adding a patio is a whole different game, that's like adding overloads to your truck, they don't get "welded" onto your frame

Your analgies do not work very well though....
Old 01-20-2009, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
,,,,, when will this thread be over

Quick Reply: Dodge Dealer Cutting & Welding on my Frame