3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dodge Dealer Cutting & Welding on my Frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Dealer Cutting & Welding on my Frame

About 2 weeks ago I took my truck in because the power steering was starting to fail (it wouldn't turn if it was stopped and at an idle and backing a trailer became a real chore). The dealer put in a new PS pump and a new gearbox. It didn't seem to help the problem much.

About a week later, I started hearing a popping sound when turning. After about a week it didn't go away and I took the truck back in. At first they told me it was a faulty gearbox, which they replaced (again). That didn't fix the problem. They then called the "engineer" and finally figured out that the frame supports around the steering gearbox had come loose. They had the truck in their body shop for four days.

The paperwork says they "cut" the frame to "gain access to the supports" and "welded" the frame and supports in three places. They then "road tested in very rough conditions" and found that the problem had been fixed. After being told all these years that I should never drill or weld on the frame, I'm a little nervous about this. My truck is out of warranty (extended) in just under a year, and I'm not so sure they aren't just fixing it long enough to get it out of warranty. It's a 2005 4WD 3500 dually quad cab. It only has 27K on it, and it's been babied. The service advisor assures me the repairs will hold up, but I'm not so sure. Any thoughts? I appreciate it.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 PM

take a peek at the frame around teh repairs and see how the welds look and double check to make sure they covered teh exposed metal with a corrosion inhibitor or preventer.... should be fine... proper welding is as strong or stronger than the metal that's connected.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i think u will have to get over it....if repair is good its good. what other options were there? frames are cut and welded all the time.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:11 AM

I would take pics and document and store all this info for any issue that may present itself in the future. That way, you have proof. I have taken my vehicals in after warrenty before for issues that a dealer had worked on and problem(s) persisted or resurfaced, and they alway took care of it free of charge. Some dealers will say they lost your info, but you will have the documents to prove them wrong. Oh, like posted above. If the job was well done, you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, you'd have thought they got that fixed in production after it whacked so many 1st Gen steering box mounts. I'm putting a steering brace on ASAP, no doubt. Under the circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised to see a DW episode rip the steering box right off one with a flaky mount/frame to start with.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Thumbs up

I'll take pics of it and make sure I keep the paperwork. This has been such a good truck that I was a little stunned I was having frame problems and steering problems at 27K. I'll stop worrying about it.

I am thinking of putting one of those BD stabilizers on it though. It's supposed to help with the frame flexing problem around the gearbox. They (Dodge dealer) said they would still honor the warranty if I put one on. I also saw some other posts about a beefed up steering setup from Dodge. I've never had the DW, but maybe I should tell them I have.

BTW - Great forum. I just stumbled on this when I was researching my problem. Thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:45 PM

Get a DSS SB
Old 01-17-2009, 08:50 PM

Did you get the truck new or used?
The reason I ask is I was under the impression that the 05 model was the last year Dodge had the 7/70 warrenty.
Iv also got an 05 and have the warrenty.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:00 PM

06 is the year that got only the 3/36
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 PM

I would tell the dealer they just bought the truck. Maybe your different but I wouldn't touch the truck again. No one would EVER weld or cut the frame on my truck without telling me. I would contact Chrysler to, there is no way they are suppose to be doing that, especially without your consent. I don't care how good it's done, it's weakened the frame because i'm betting they didn't properly heat treat the frame, it's nearly impossible considering the circumstances.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mocho
I would tell the dealer they just bought the truck. Maybe your different but I wouldn't touch the truck again. No one would EVER weld or cut the frame on my truck without telling me. I would contact Chrysler to, there is no way they are suppose to be doing that, especially without your consent. I don't care how good it's done, it's weakened the frame because i'm betting they didn't properly heat treat the frame, it's nearly impossible considering the circumstances.
so if your so sure to tell this guy that its done wrong show him and us documents on the "proper" way to heat treat the frame! Cause i can tell you right now that i cut and weld frames on every day without the owners consent. I work at a body shop and if you bring your truck to me and tell me to fix it then thats what im going to do! So how do you "properly" heat treat a frame so i know how to do my job better?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:12 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by dropped2500
I work at a body shop and if you bring your truck to me and tell me to fix it then thats what im going to do! So how do you "properly" heat treat a frame so i know how to do my job better?
I agree. The customer brought the truck to the shop to be repaired, which they did, as a representative of the manufacturer, at no cost to the owner. Sounds like they stepped up and did what was necessary to stand behind their product and create a happy customer.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:10 AM

There are guidlines in print about the cutting/weldig on these frames and YES its done everday.Look at the extended frame Mega cab/long beds etc.If its fixed its fixed.Just look the repair over like any other most of us would do.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:39 AM

Ok, I think he gets it now.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:42 AM

If welded properly, you won't be able to break it. My old neighbor used to do weld-up repairs on Cat D-9 sprockets. If that will hold on a D-9, then it will hold on your truck.

Quick Reply: Dodge Dealer Cutting & Welding on my Frame