3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Do these leather seats look original

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do these leather seats look original?

I'm looking at buying a 2004 4x4 quadcab diesel.
The truck is 350 miles away so I'm going on photos of the truck.
The seller states he's the original owner.
The truck has leather interior but it doesn't look to have the woodgrain Laramie trim on the doors and dash.
In looking at the interior pics the seats don't appear to have the suede trim like I've seen on all of the other Dodge Ram leather interiors I've seen.
The owner states that's the way he bought the truck new.
Do the seats look original or not?
Is it possible to get leather with just an SLT without the Laramie package?
I haven't seen that light of color leather before either?
The seats are not heated if that matters.

I'm trying to do as much research as I can before I buy the truck on saturday.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:42 AM

The dealer probably added leather when truck was purchased I have seen this before looks normal to me
Old 03-23-2007, 01:44 AM

All the ones Ive ever seen have the suede inserts-I dont know those kinda look a little funky-I guess they could be a dealer installation
Old 03-23-2007, 05:26 AM

I have the identical seats. When leather was added to the SLT package, the seats come without heaters, and suede inserts.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:34 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 6 2 Carl
I have the identical seats. When leather was added to the SLT package, the seats come without heaters, and suede inserts.
Same here. SLT with a cheap leather upgrade. It's better than vinal... The only bad thing about mine is that it does not have heated seats.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:09 AM

Looks just like my 1500 02 leather
Old 03-23-2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the replys.

Is the quality of these dealer installed leather seats a lot worse than the factory leather covers?

I wonder if these leather seats are more comfortable than the terrible, butt numbing cloth seats that were in my previous 2004 1500 quadcab truck?

The color of the entire interior also seems odd too, it looks like light silver??
My previous 2004 1500 4x4 quadcab was the identical color (Charcoal metallic) and also had the sport appearance option.
My old truck had the dark slate colored seats and door panels.

Old truck:

New truck:
Old 03-23-2007, 10:13 AM

The color looks fine, but depending on your location, it will suck not having heated seats IMO. I wouldnt go without my heated seats ever again, those puppies are cold on a winter morning.

Oh and the 04's didnt have woodgrain, they had color keyed inserts where the woodgrain was on the 03

Kevin
Old 03-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KillerBee
Thanks for the replys.

Is the quality of these dealer installed leather seats a lot worse than the factory leather covers?

I wonder if these leather seats are more comfortable than the terrible, butt numbing cloth seats that were in my previous 2004 1500 quadcab truck?

The color of the entire interior also seems odd too, it looks like light silver??
My previous 2004 1500 4x4 quadcab was the identical color (Charcoal metallic) and also had the sport appearance option.
My old truck had the dark slate colored seats and door panels.

Old truck:

New truck:
i dont htink these are dealer installed, I think they are from the factory as an upgrade. i have found the LAramie Leather seats are on a completley different frame or have different foam as they are MUCH more comfortable then the cloth seats.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks just like the seats in my '03 SLT. I like the leather over the cloth, just feels like it will last longer.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:10 PM

I had the dealer add leather to my SLT.
My truck is light almond pearl and there are three variances of that color on the interior.
My seats look just like that and are basically a light tan. What color's the truck?
I like the aftermarket as it is way thicker than the factory leather.
Suede inserts just get worn and dirty.
With aftermarket, even the pockets on the back of the seats get the treatment.
My seats have always been comfortable and no sore butt on long hauls as some report.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:23 PM

The color of the truck is Charcoal metallic( dark gray).
The color of the seats looks to be a light gray.
I'm only going on the pics the seller has sent me.
I'm going to meet the seller tomorrow to look at the truck in person and buy it if it's as nice as described.
I live in Ohio so it does get cold here, there is a local company that can install seat heaters if I want.
Am I reading right that these leather seat covers are installed right over top of the cloth ones?
What do you think the cloth ones would look like if I removed the leather covers?
How difficult would that be?

Thanks.

Rear seats:

Old 03-23-2007, 02:41 PM

My cloths were removed before the leather was installed by the dealer.
Many folks here re-upholster their own seats so if the leathers no good or the colors wrong you always have the option of recovering.
I don't think the price was that bad on Ebay.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:44 PM

I don't think he meant that he had Leather over the cloth but he likes the leather better than the cloth. On the up-graded aftermarket leather seats, they are pre-formed seat covers. The cloth is removed and the leather is put on. I am seriously considering a set of Katskinz Leather Seats covers for my truck. $180.00 to add the heater pads for the seats but well worth it IMO.

Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:20 PM

I have an 04 SLT, my impression was it was a factory option in 04 before they restricted it to the Laramie after that. I believe it is on the window sticker that I have, I'll double check. I have the agate/black interior and the leather setup looks very similar to the few pics above and factory looking. No suede inserts. Looks to be only real leather in the middle seating area's and vinyl everywhere else. They match pretty well though. Heated seats can be added pretty easily. Simply get the little pads to put under the cover and order the OEM switch. I think it would be $100, search on this and there is a lot.

Quick Reply: Do these leather seats look original