3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Do our trucks even need a winch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do our trucks even need a winch?

Im thinking of getting a Warn Winch with the TRANS4MER brush gaurd.

so im thinking, do our truck really even need them, It does look good but its more common for Jeep wranglers and small 4x4 SUVs and small trucks that dont have the power to pull so they rely on a winch.

Example: someone gets stuck in the mud, a jeep wrangler wound winch the car thats stuck and pull it out while we can just tie the car to our hitch and pull it our with our truck. Another words I like the way it looks and everything but do I really need it???

Also, please post pics if your truck has a winch
Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Banned

Yes, our trucks need one. These beasts weigh 8000lbs and get stuck easily and can be difficult to pull out because of their weight. Make sure you get a minimum of a 12,000lb winch. The best way to buy a winch is take the weight of your truck and multiply it by 1.5 and that'll give you the winch you need. If that number comes in at say 13,500lbs, which no winch company makes, go for the 15,000lb winch.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with BigBlue. I'd buy a winch to get ME out of a ditch (or the back woods)....not the other guy. ANY truck can get stuck. It doesn't matter how much power you have or the size of your tires or lift kit. Once you are up to your axle(s), you usually have to be pulled out with your own winch or from some other vehicle.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:12 AM

These things are heavy and if you plan to off road at all, get a winch. I have to use 4x4 on wet grass on a incline.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:41 AM
J.T

I would say yes also, I made that decision after I buried mine up to the bumpers.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:02 AM

As a wise old friend of mine said; "All 4 wheel drive does is it allows you to go in deeper and further before you get stuck!" If you do any offroading, you WILL get stuck.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the others. If you plan on off-roading much then you will probably eventually need it. The WARN is the best. And, probably the most expensive. I don't need or use a winch very often (haven't used this one yet). That is why I saved ALOT of money and settled on a MileMarker 12,000lb. electric winch. It is good and dependable for occasional use (so I hear). If you are a rockcrawler using a winch every day.........then the WARN is the way to go.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:13 AM

I've got a Warn 12000# on mine with the transformer kit - and loving it. Earlier in the spring I had to pull myself up a muddy 30 degree incline in my back yard with the box loaded up with firewood...all 4 wheels were spinning and without the winch I'd be there 'till summer. Just dropped it into low 4x4 and pulled myself up. I also use it to pull down dead trees, stump and all - some with a 14" diameter base. I need to tie my back end to an anchor point and run the cable thru a ****** block (think: NEVER try to pull a 70' tree down with a straight length of 50' cable) - these things are awsome. If you ever get really stuck, you can double back to have twice the pulling power - I plan on doing this if I get stuck with my camper. The transformer kit can take even the 16,000# warn winch - I preferred the longer cable that comes with the 12,000 model.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD

I agree with the others. If you plan on off-roading much then you will probably eventually need it. The WARN is the best. And, probably the most expensive. I don't need or use a winch very often (haven't used this one yet). That is why I saved ALOT of money and settled on a MileMarker 12,000lb. electric winch. It is good and dependable for occasional use (so I hear). If you are a rockcrawler using a winch every day.........then the WARN is the way to go.
how much for the milemarker if you dont mine me asking?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:29 AM

If I were using a winch every day, I would buy a hydraulic winch no question.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Berak
I had a friend who said the exact same thing.

Until the day he was crossing a stream, dropped the front end in a rut and hydrolocked the motor. You get one guess at what no longer worked.

As a personal choice (ie, IMNSHO), I would stick with Warn. Warn winches are designed to be USED!!! That is based on the ease of which the motor brushes can be replaced, which I have done on the 15 year old 9k warn on the front of my old Blazer.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Berak
I agree, especially if your loaded down with equipment toys or whatever. Also if you know your going to be offroading: a ****** block, pullpal and leader line. I keep snow chains in pickup year round also.

Jeff
Old 05-12-2006, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
how much for the milemarker if you dont mine me asking?

Got it at 4wheel parts for $599 including a free wireless remote.

I agree with the others that WARN is the best. But for somebody that will probably only use it a couple a times a year......the MM price was nice.

The WARN would probably cost triple. Worth it though, if you use it everyday.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:01 PM

I Have a 4x2 and the next big mod I plan to make will be a winch. It sure would be helpful around the farm and when traveling to go skiing in winter. Not that I get stuck much BUT...if I ever do and have a winch it would certainly help get me unstuck without paying for a tow truck to come out who would do the same thing with his winch.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:19 PM

Doesn't everbody need a good wench from time to time....hahahahaha

Quick Reply: Do our trucks even need a winch?