3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Disappointed with Chrysler warranty and Defrost Door

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that is why i wrote, he should of read what he got before signing- because like scook6 said, a d/c extended warranty clearly states what is covered. i am sure a third party warranty must also state what is and what is not covered. if you are not sure-ask, get it in writing or tell your dealer you need to take it home first and spend some time reading and going over it. it is amazing to me how people feel or are pressured into signing all the paper work needed to buy a vehicle in a 20 minute span. how the hell do you know what you are signing?? do you rely soley on what a car salesman is telling you??
Old 03-25-2006, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bottom line is there is a TSB out for the ill fated defrost door. If he is still under warrenty then Chrysler should step up to the plate and fix the problem. Myself am still trying to get Chrysler to force my local dealership to fix mine. It was diagnosed broken by one dealership and then they positioned the door so I at least could get air flow. Now months later the local dealership still insists that the TSB does not apply to my truck and that theri is no problem with the defrost door.
Phoning Chrysler has been useless. the door costs about $150 but you need to open the lines to the refridgerent and then recharge them.

good luck on this and let us know how it turns out. It seems that Chrysler does not actually warrenty their product very well.

All manufactures have their complaints but at least for the most part they step up to the plate and fix their problems. Not the case with Chysler. Maybe time to write a letter to Diamler germany as a mass and inform them of how their North American division are treating theri customers.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjm022
that is why i wrote, he should of read what he got before signing- because like scook6 said, a d/c extended warranty clearly states what is covered. i am sure a third party warranty must also state what is and what is not covered. if you are not sure-ask, get it in writing or tell your dealer you need to take it home first and spend some time reading and going over it. it is amazing to me how people feel or are pressured into signing all the paper work needed to buy a vehicle in a 20 minute span. how the hell do you know what you are signing?? do you rely soley on what a car salesman is telling you??
I do not understand why you are treating him like he did something wrong.That defroster door is a POS and they should fix it.He paid for a ext. warranty it said heater and AC. That should be good enough.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:26 AM

IS THIS WHERE CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS COME ??

ITS NO WONDER THE JAPS OUT SELL US IN CARS 25 TO 1 !!!

....... .......... ............
Old 03-26-2006, 07:42 AM

Its nice to know that when we sign the papers for a vehicle that will run upwards of 50 grand, once we walk out the door the dealership forgets who we are. When I worked in a retail paint store, I could have a customer spend $30 on a brush and a gallon of paint, and remember them by name when they came back in the next season for another project. I think these car salespeople are actually cold blooded animals. I've said it before, and I'll say it again- these salespeople dont know the definition of the "cost of doing business". And they wonder why people aren't loyal anymore to a particular maker. They will do anything possible to sneak under a rock to get out of fixing something that they know is junk. Ram1960, I would fight it (DC) as long as possible, (warmer weather is on its way) and as a last resort, shop around and get the best repair cost you can. And be **** well sure to let as many people as possible know how poor the service is at that dealer, as well as the dealership.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:40 AM

It is a DC warranty. And you are correct, it just states things in a generic way. I think this lets DC decide what the want to cover and what they want to stick me with.

I have been to 2 dealers. Got the same answer from both. I guess I could call around as was suggested. But these two would not talk to me until they took a look. Called DC several times. But consider this, the second dealer charged me $35 to look at the truck and then tell me it would be $550 for the repair. He did not tell me there was a $35 charge to look at my truck that was under warranty, when I dropped it off.

So I am pretty discouraged with this whole deal. Many good points have been made here about getting it fixed. Sending a letter. (A suggestions was made to send to the CEO. Does anyone have his name and address?) ..... So I think I will move forward with the repair, argue some more, and not buy another DC product. I hope that another brand truck will start using the Cummins engine soon. I do not know that other brands are any better, but I am done 'giving' all my money to DC.

And my advice to everyone. Do not buy a warranty. DC will not cover any repairs that cost more than the deductible.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:41 AM

No differant the buying a home even from a builder and lots of other things.You thing that after remodeling a kitchen and spending 30k to 50k or what not from Home Depot or whomever they remember you a week later or EVEN a bank.Use to be a time the branch manager KNEW his customers and you could get a loan by NAME only.Buy a BIG SCREEN T.V.entertainment center.You think its a remember YOU issue.Thats all been LONG gone.The AUTO business is a HECK of a lot better then it was 20 years plus ago and OTHERS have gotton worse in my humble opinion.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:57 PM

Next time you go to buy a truck, Buy a Nissan or a Toyota like everybody else does. There goes more of are American economy!!!!! It seems like there is not customer service anymore. Years ago they were all conserd about customer service, now they don't care. I feel it should be fixed. You don't spend $45,000 on a truck to have major problem with it. I have the gen to 24v. You can't tell me they didn't know about all the problems with that. They did and sold it anyways!!!! Let me pay for it later. If you take my truck and make all the mods to it to improve it. It's a good truck. Why didn't Dodge to all those mods? There thinking is, you wouldn't want a new truck at 50,000 miles. Wich it true, but people also think, I don't want another Dodge truck. This is true for the Big Three. There goning to be the Bankup Three sortly.

Ramblings on

Dan
Old 03-30-2006, 07:15 AM
jt

I am having the same problem, i can get it to work by switching from re-circulate to fresh air. What is the exact problem, and is there an at home repair?
James
Old 03-30-2006, 07:28 AM

My first Dodge/Cummins was a 1990 (pre-turbo)

I bought the extended warranty back then and right after the standard warranty ran out the computer crapped out on me. The heat grid light would not go off.
Took the truck back to the dealer and guess which part was not covered by the extended warranty - WE HAVE A WINNER - the computer was not covered.
No more extended warranties for me. You can say 'read the warranty' but the detail just is not there (nor would most people know what it meant anyway).
The first time something breaks, you will find out whether it is covered.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:39 PM

Don't nickel and dime. Just get it fixed. If 500 bucks is a burden to you financially maybe you are in over your head with this truck. Why jimmy around with a cable?
Another quality answer.....His parents must not have met Ramtuffs minimum income requirements.

First, along with everyone else, 500 bucks is more than enough to snivel about. I would at least ask the service manager to ask his DC rep if they let you get by with just paying their "standard" 200 deductible.

Second, I have the same problem, and found that if I turn my fan completely off, THEN turn the door actuator ****, it will work. I've been doing this for about a month now with no problems.

Lastly, there is no cable - its a completely electric system. The actuator is inside the heater housing.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:23 PM

Here is the latest. I was planning to wait and worry about it next winter. But I have taken so much time and had made so many calls to DC regarding the extended warranty I decided I did not want to have to do all this again.

Finally DC agreed to pay 1/2 of the $550 bill. So to avoid having to repeat all this work in the fall, I had my local dealer make the repair today. So I now have air blowing on my feet. I hope that no rattles or AC issues show up.

So for now, my feet are warm. But I will always have cold feet about buying another DC product. I have learned my lesson, buy all the warranties you want, DC will find a way to avoid being taking responsibility for their poor workmanship. I love my truck and the Cummins engine. Too bad it is not made by a good company.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:49 PM

Angry

I'm gonna have to side with most everyone in here. This is complete and total Bologna Sausage!! He (and most of us) have purchased a $40-$45K truck. He then thought ahead and got the extended warranty for 1000-1500 bucks more. This should be covered.
A little service goes a long way. There is a saying in retail- 1 happy cutomer brings 1 more in, but 1 mad customer turns 10 away. The fact that DC even lists what part numbers are covered and what ones aren't is retarded!! Like we all have a parts book to cross reference when we are shelling out the cash for a rig. Un-friggin'-real!!!!
The fact that there is a TSB proves the DC knows there is a problem. That's like saying "Sir we know there is a problem with the truck we sold you for 40 grand, and we know we stuck you for 1500 more, but we are afraid you're gonna have to give us another 500 bucks and be without your truck for 2 days while we fix it. And oh, yeah, would you like another truck from us in the future?" NO WAY!!

Another Dodge is looking more and more unlikely-Sorry
Old 03-30-2006, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally would like to see where half of you get your money that $500 for a warrenty repair would be acceptable to pay. I make $25 an hour, have rent, truck payment fuel,food and insurance. The total that comes to is about $1900 a month in just basic bills. So Really $500 is alot of money. I thought I was wise when I deceided to buy a new truck and bought the extended warrenty. I was and I wasnt. I have had one part replaced that cost a couple grand to have the dealership do. Other wise I have little luck getting them to fix other known and happening problems with my truck.

Personally I would like to see DC stand behind their customers and force their representatives into doing their job, That means fixing what isnt right. That means during warrenty coverage fixing the parts that have broken with NORMAL use. This isnt the case and poor workmanship such as defrost doors, bad injectors, leaking CP3, poor ECM's Bad rear ends, crappy paint job on some trucks, Tranny problems, power steering problems, cab water leak problems, excessive crank case blow by, to name a few.

Again I would love to know where half of you make your money, Myself can I afford to fix my truck? Yes, should I have to fork over the money when the problem is known and is suppose to be covered under warrenty, emmisions or quality work manship agreements.. NO.

Not attacking any one here but as the saying goes some people have more money then brains.

Of course this is all a different story if you have modded your truck by adding programmers and such. Or lift kits. This is obvious that they can and will void any and all warrenty associated with the add ons.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:07 PM

I agree with yall on this but did anyone notice the common thead here? They didnt want to pay out on the extended warrenty. If you bought one you would have been better off saving the money and just fixed the stupid door yourself. Yes it is a gamble on a $1400 computer but it is one I am comfortable to make. When I bought my truck they kept trying to convince me to buy the ext warrenty till I looked at them and said "if the dam thing breaks I will fix it myself with better parts than mother mopar used. Obviously the factory part wasnt up to snuff!" What could they say? They knew that I was right. I payed no extra money and the truck has 7/70 drivetrain plus the 100k cummins deal. The aftermarket and junkyards are wonderful things if you have a service manual.
One last thought is if it were a major product problem they will eventually have a recall. Save the reciept and they will have to pay you back for the expence. At 240k miles on my 95 chrysler is going to pick up the tab for a new throttle cable. I feel for the original poster of this thread but choose your battles. Is your blood preasure, time, and aggrevasion worth a couple hundred bucks?

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Chrysler warranty and Defrost Door