3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Diff oil change and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diff oil change and warranty

I am contemplating doing my own diff oil change but am concerned how it might affect my warranty. I still have 6K left on the bumper to bumber and mine has 7/70 on the powertrain (which, I assume, covers the differentials).

So, if I do my own diff oil change, am I risking coverage if something goes wrong down the line? I would hold onto the receipts for the oil, but it could always be argued by DC that I didn't do it right. The dealer wants $249 to do both of them. Materials might cost me about $60 or so. Is the peace of mind worth $190?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJMurvin
I am contemplating doing my own diff oil change but am concerned how it might affect my warranty. I still have 6K left on the bumper to bumber and mine has 7/70 on the powertrain (which, I assume, covers the differentials).

So, if I do my own diff oil change, am I risking coverage if something goes wrong down the line? I would hold onto the receipts for the oil, but it could always be argued by DC that I didn't do it right. The dealer wants $249 to do both of them. Materials might cost me about $60 or so. Is the peace of mind worth $190?

NJ,
I was in the same situation as you. I opted to change the fluids myself for the following reasons:
1 - dealer just pumps fluid out and refill...they do not pull the cover and inspect, which I did.
2 - my local dealers are incompetent and I don't trust them to change out a light bulb, definitely not any fluids.
3 - I figured as long as I follow the instuctions of all these great and helpful guys on this forum, I couldn't screw it up.
4 - I also figured if I ever did have a problem (probably won't) I would come on here and ask these knowledgable guys what parts to get and how to install and again do the work myself.
5 - I am very protective and particular about my truck and really don't trust anyone but myself to work on it....if i run into something I can't do I just post a ??? and wait for the answers.
6 - If your dealer is like mine.. ...lets hope not....they will probably blame you anyway, whether they change the fluids or you do...I have been burnt too many times by incompetent dealers and ended up fixing the problems myself.
Sorry to post such a long reply, but I thought I would give you a few things to consider....If you have any ???'s about tackling the job yourself just post your ???'s and many here will help or PM me and I would be glad to walk you thru it.....

Greg
Old 11-02-2006, 12:43 PM

i would do what you say keep all the reciepts write down the milage at which you changed it at and so on.. the job is real easy nothing to it. do it yourself and save some money for something else....
Old 11-02-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the post above. Once you change your own Diff fluid, you will think it was so silly easy you will wonder why you were worried. Just trust your own judgement and go do it. You are not going to mess it up.

Unbolt the cover with a drain pan under it. Let it drain. Remove cover, inspect the gears, spray around inside with brake parts cleaner if you want. Replace the cover and reusable rubber gasket. Don't tighten the bolts very tight...just firmly snug. Refill with your favorite GL-5 rated gear oil in 75W90 or 75W140. I use Mobil 1 75W90 with no problems.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Banned

Just make sure the gear oil you use is synthetic, keep your receipt, write down the mileage and all should be o.k.