3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

diesel virgin !! I have questions !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diesel virgin !! I have questions !!!

some of the stuff I've read just being a guest leads me to believe you guys have ALL the answers.... my name is mike .... and yes I am a diesel vvvvirgin.... I have had my truck about a month and have read so much info on these things I don't know where to start !!!!
can anyone tell me what flash or reflash is ???? what tsb's I need to know about ????? or any do's or don'ts or tips 03 305 6 speed.... previous owner said it was NEVER to the dealer for ANYTHING thanks, hemimaniac
Old 01-04-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome...

Reflash means to upload new programming into the engine management computer. When they do this, they put a sticker on that shows what was done (showing that it is emissions certified modification).

The only TSB I have had done was the hose from the PS Pump to the hydrobooster on the brake master cyl. It gets rid of vibration/buz at 2000 RPM.

I think there was also one about making sure there is some sort of pad in the front doors- so it doesn't scratch tinting if you have them tinted.

Here is a good place for TSB's.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html

P.S. Fill in your signature so others can easily see the details of your truck. Lots of friendly and helpful folks out there...
Old 01-05-2005, 01:31 AM

Hey Mike, Welcome!

I have the an 03, but an auto. There was a tsb on the power steering lines to solve the "Drone" that many complained of.

One on the auto tranny, an electrical connection or something.

One on the cab grab handles (both), they worked themselves loose due to 230lb guys like me, using them for their intended purpose.

And I think we had one for the alternator bracket.

That is all I can recall on our 03's, no flashes needed that I know of, at least I never received anything from DC.

On the 6 spds, I think there was a tsb on something in the tranny causing rough/sticky shifting. You will know if you have the problem. My neighbor had it in his 03 6spd, couldn't shift from 3rd to 4th if I recall.

And make up a signature of the truck, and hold on to your wallet! When I bought my truck, I was going to keep it simple, REALLY! I was just going to upgrade the air intake, exhaust, tires and a leveling kit. I think I've dumped close to 10 grand into this beast so far!

I hope your not married, and if you are, congradulations. I hope she is not the jealous kind. I saw more of Lee, my UPS driver, then I did my wife for a few months there. You might want to get with your UPS driver, and arrange strategic hiding places for the deluge of boxes comming to the house, that is if you are married. What they don't know, won't hurt them.

Mike
(Still have boxes of uninstalled stuff laying around)
Old 01-05-2005, 02:15 PM

Two TSB's issued on the auto tranny at the same time.
One was to replace the solid trans cooling line with a line that has a 4" rubber hose built into the line to stop engine torgue from braking the line at the intercooler. It's clearly visible about 6" from the trans shift linkage. There are posts with pics if you do a search on this forum. Let us know if you need help searching the forum database. (If you want, PM me with your email address and I'll email you a pic of mine that I keep onfile).
The other was an additional seal at the ECM module at the tranny to prevent moisture from shorting the computer shift signals.
Some also have a donut ring attached to the high pressure power steering hose to stop the drone that occurrs when pressure is at or near max.
Some also had to have an extension hose added to the crankcase breather hose to keep oil vapors from coming inside the cabin.
That all the recalls or TSB's that mine has been subject to.
Welcome aboard.
Nat
Oh yeah, the alternator brackets changed during the year. Earlier mfgs needed stronger brackets. I don't know the cutoff date.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Chapter President

Welcome Hemimaniac. all good answers, but the best one was hold onto your wallet!!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:15 PM

thanks guys !!!!some very helpful info !! keep it coming ...... also I heard a rumor that we might be getting a recall for an oil line to the turbo ????? any one hear about that one ????? something like a bend restricting oil that leads to ..... well,, you know !!!!!

mike
Old 01-06-2005, 02:02 AM

Mike,

Just slap a bigger badder turbo on, and forget about it!

Mike
Old 01-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Banned

Welcome to the Diesel World
Old 01-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have questions just ask me. I know everything. And...if I don't know....I'll just make something up.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Hoss
If you have questions just ask me. I know everything. And...if I don't know....I'll just make something up.
Yes,tell him about your bedliner.....
Old 01-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation WARNING for hemimaniac,,,,,,,,,

Welcome to the site Mike,
Please try to ignore Hoss,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, he tends to ramble when he doesn't take his medications like he should. The nurses at the "Home" try to keep him away from the computer, but he does manage to slip by them sometimes. Most of the time,,, if ya just tell him,,,,,, "WOW!,,,,,,, you sure are smart!" ,,,,,,, he will go away and find someone else to bother.

Originally posted by Hoss
Old 01-08-2005, 10:33 AM

Dennis....I've told you time and time again that I REFUSE to take those meds because when I take them I can no longer hear the voices in my head. Without those voices telling me what to do I'd be lost.

By the way, Hemimania, you DO know that Ford owns Cummins, right??
Old 01-09-2005, 01:14 PM

YEAH ..... BUT DO WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT IT ?????!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 04:07 PM

Hook, line & sinker.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I was looking forward to reading a reply to the "how do you keep snow from falling into the cab" thread involving concrete...