3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Diesel Boycott 4/1/08

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I buy all my fuel from Sinclair because they dont import or export the fuel they sell. According to what I read, just trying to keep the money in american pockets.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipmonk
agreed, but this kind of thing gets talked about every time fuel prices get high, and the bottom line is that everyone will buy their fuel the day before or the day after. if the same amount of fuel is purchased, how does that affect the supply, or the oil companies' bottom line? people are just looking to talk tough, with that whole 'we're gonna show those oil companies that they can't push us around' thing, then show them by forking over the same $100 for fuel- the day before or the day after the 'boycott'. something real that you can do, is to say that you are going to drive your truck 100 miles less per month, therefore actually purchasing less fuel, therefore decreasing demand and putting less of your hard earned money into the oil companies' pockets.
Yes i agree one day or one of anything is not going to get the job done my point is lets get together and try to do SOMETHING the longer things continue the harder it will be to get it fixed. You and i and many others are driving less demand is down and reserves are higher than in the past but yet prices continue to escalate up to their desired price per gallon.
The big part of the problem i feel is the greedy guys at the top running away with everything they can grab with no reguard for the future or correcting any of the current problems. Another part of the problem is the oil futures market too many people running the prices up making big money on paper while doing nothing and i feel a lot of it is done by oil insiders who is going to bail out this mess when it crashes. Too many people living large while doing nothing to earn it.

This country is currently in such a mess that people need get off their lazy behinds and pull their heads up out of the sand open their eyes to the rip offs,scams,bail outs, wasteful spending,and dirty crooks running the government and some large corporations. Throw the dirt bags out otherwise one day soon CHINA is going to own the place without a shot being fired.

It all starts in your own back yard how many of you have ever been to your township/city/village monthly meeting ?????? And if yes do you go regularly ???????? Do you stand up and say no when they try to do things wrong or wasteful??? We had some people on our township board that thought they could pass crazy rules and then target a few people they did not like while letting their buddys do whatever they wanted. Guess what those crooks are no longer on the board NOW Yes YOU CAN fight city hall and win was it easy NO. Did i do it alone NO but it can be done with a little help.

Their is no good reason why everybody can't sacrifice for example the next one or two holiday weekends and stay home and buy nothing at all !
Yes it would take a little planing ahead and a very small sacrifice from each person but you would get threw it just fine.
Show the government and everybody else the true power of we the people.
These are some big problems that will take some big actions to repair.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Banned

Diesel did go down 4 cents yesterday from $4.19 to $4.15. Its a minor miracle!
Old 03-30-2008, 02:11 PM

So everyone will buy fuel on April 2nd!
Old 03-30-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Quiky One
So everyone will buy fuel on April 2nd!
Not everyone. I have 3/4 tank now and will likely have the same 3/4 tank through May 2nd.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 AM

Just went to the local Gas station today and the line for Diesel was 2 trucks long at each pump (only 4 pumps though). Seems the demand for the stuff is still pretty high, even at $4.00/gallon. Until the demand goes down I would expect the prices to remain fairly high...
Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Boys, while she is 4 bucks a gallon, my next Diesel purchase will be sometime next December..........

I drove her for a day for the first time in 3 weeks, just to make sure she still ran.

Thats what people need to do.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:33 AM

I don't like the high price of fuel but really see it as just an extra cost. If you look over the numbers it really isn't that bad. Just the cost of the crude (at $100 per barrel) is about 60% of the $4 per gallon price, the government gets about 20% (close to a dollar per gallon ) then the refinery has to turn the crude oil into something useable and ship it to the stations and the stations sell it to you and make money from the remaining 20%. These are really round numbers but pretty close by what I have read. The US refiners currently make twice as much gas as diesel. The refinery could change their setup and produce more diesel but will take some changes in their plants. The good side of this is the higher price of diesel will encourage the refiners to change their system and make more diesel. I just read in the Wallstreet Journal that Marathon is trying to change over and start making as much diesel as gas in their refineries by next year. And overseas they are trying to get people to use diesel over gas in their vehicles( currently they are at 50%-50% diesel to gas and we are 25%-75% diesel to gas). The price jumps around because of supply & demand and work vehicles like trucks and trains will buy it no matter what the cost is. The big oil company will make record profits because they are running at maximum capacity (what would your company make at maximum capacity), what do you expect. Their are many refineries just in the Illinois area how in the world could they get togeather and force the price higher without one of them breaking ranks and undercutting the rest. I just don't see it, probably because I like to read nonfiction stuff like economics and oil, for example. I am not involved in the oil industry (other than my investments), I just build heat treat furnaces. I would suggest the book "Economics 101" and the website http://www.eia.doe.gov/ for some really valuable information. Just my opinion for what it's worth , but a diesel boycott for me.....no.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Boys, while she is 4 bucks a gallon, my next Diesel purchase will be sometime next December..........

I drove her for a day for the first time in 3 weeks, just to make sure she still ran.

Thats what people need to do.
that's hard to do when some of us have to drive to make a "living"(using that word lightly)
Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Foxborough
I don't like the high price of fuel but really see it as just an extra cost. If you look over the numbers it really isn't that bad. Just the cost of the crude (at $100 per barrel) is about 60% of the $4 per gallon price, the government gets about 20% (close to a dollar per gallon ) then the refinery has to turn the crude oil into something useable and ship it to the stations and the stations sell it to you and make money from the remaining 20%. These are really round numbers but pretty close by what I have read. The US refiners currently make twice as much gas as diesel. The refinery could change their setup and produce more diesel but will take some changes in their plants. The good side of this is the higher price of diesel will encourage the refiners to change their system and make more diesel. I just read in the Wallstreet Journal that Marathon is trying to change over and start making as much diesel as gas in their refineries by next year. And overseas they are trying to get people to use diesel over gas in their vehicles( currently they are at 50%-50% diesel to gas and we are 25%-75% diesel to gas). The price jumps around because of supply & demand and work vehicles like trucks and trains will buy it no matter what the cost is. The big oil company will make record profits because they are running at maximum capacity (what would your company make at maximum capacity), what do you expect. Their are many refineries just in the Illinois area how in the world could they get togeather and force the price higher without one of them breaking ranks and undercutting the rest. I just don't see it, probably because I like to read nonfiction stuff like economics and oil, for example. I am not involved in the oil industry (other than my investments), I just build heat treat furnaces. I would suggest the book "Economics 101" and the website http://www.eia.doe.gov/ for some really valuable information. Just my opinion for what it's worth , but a diesel boycott for me.....no.
Opec creates a shortage whenever they feel the need. The U.S. refines much of the oil for the world and exports a high percentage of the fuel creating an artificial shortage at home. That combined with some gouging from big oil is sending the price of fuel and every other consumable commodity through the roof.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 AM

We should be drilling more in Alaska, the Gulf, Atlantic & Pacific to get around OPEC.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:29 PM

Not sure what's going on, but my son has a hot shot business (6 trucks) and told us that all the trucks including the commercial and OOP are parking them Tuesday or Wednesday through Saturday. He called and told his mother to stock up on stuff and fill up Tuesday. I can't swear this is going to happen, but I'm for it. Be nice if we could keep all the fuel being exported.

Pete
Old 03-31-2008, 01:41 PM

I would like to know where the information is on how we are exporting this "high percentage of fuel". From what I have found we are importing somewhere around 15% and export a fraction to close countries like Canada, if I remember right. If we are exporting so much fuel, how do refineries around the Illinois area load it in the tankers? Also how would the 100 or so refiners around here stay in perfect lockstep with no defectors selling fuel under the "inflated price" that would be set by the other 99. It just doesnt make sense to me. I am trying to stay out of the political area, but always will to learn.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:20 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
This will not work. Not only will all of our trucks be working (well, most of them anyways), but I have a 7800 gal load of diesel being delivered tomorrow to our underground storage tank. Thats 30,000.... 32,000 dollars that we will be spending just this week for diesel. Thats not even figuring the amount bought using CFN or Comdata at the truck stops. AND we are a small fleet. The big guys use waaay more than that on a DAILY basis.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Foxborough
I would like to know where the information is on how we are exporting this "high percentage of fuel". From what I have found we are importing somewhere around 15% and export a fraction to close countries like Canada, if I remember right. If we are exporting so much fuel, how do refineries around the Illinois area load it in the tankers? Also how would the 100 or so refiners around here stay in perfect lockstep with no defectors selling fuel under the "inflated price" that would be set by the other 99. It just doesnt make sense to me. I am trying to stay out of the political area, but always will to learn.
"U.S. diesel prices have jumped 84.5 percent in a year to $3.28 a gallon – compared to the jump in gasoline prices of 78 percent to about $2.97 a gallon, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

The surge in diesel prices follows a move by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency mandating a cleaner form of the fuel which is more costly to produce and which is also more readily exportable to the European market and other diesel-hungry regions.

“You do have areas of the world, like Europe, where the passenger car fleet is heavily weighted to diesel,” said Kevin Lindemar, an analyst with Global Insight in Massachusetts.

Before the cleaner diesel mandate, much of the diesel produced in the United States fell far short of European fuel specifications, which meant the fuel tended to stay in the United States, keeping stockpiles full and prices low."

Link to full article. There are others. - http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/b...l-demand-.html

Quick Reply: Diesel Boycott 4/1/08