3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Diesel battery overcharge issue repaired

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesel battery overcharge issue repaired

I have an 06 2500 diesel ram 4x4.

Issue
Right side battery charging 17 vdc., left battery 15-16v.

Please follow these instructions to the tee and re-post as much as needed.

I found the issue with the dash meter but didn't pay much attention to that. I then heard 2 pops under the hood. I found the vent caps on the right side battery had popped off and the battery was badly boiling. I replaced that battery with a new battery and that battery ruptured. I then replaced the alternator and battery still the charge rate was at 17v. The driver battery was at 15-16 volts charge rate. I did battery load test and charged both batteries out of the truck for 12 hours. I did a hydrometer test and the passenger battery tested ok while the driver battery showed dead cells and only 420 amps or bad battery, obviously from overcharging. I purchased 2 new batteries.

Now the problem that set the issues into motion.
There are solenoid cables attached to the positive cable on the right battery which had migrated green corrosion into the insulated sheath and caused high resistance. Another cable from the battery attaching cable connected to the alternator and had the same issues. I made up my own new #6 cables with crimp ends for that repair. The bolt fixtures going through the battery cable ends were corroded. I removed the bolts, cleaned the posts, cable ends and hack sawed the post cable split wider to ensure a tight connection between the cable end and the post and installed stainless 5/16" bolts with electrical grease on all the connections except the posts. The cable ends rely on a clean bolt head and nut surface to ensure proper current to the small cables. I took a razor knife and cut that area away till shiny. I did the same on the driver battery cables and posts, replaced the batteries.

Obviously there are many threads pertaining to this issue and many have wasted many dollars trying to alleviate the issue.
I have completed the repair with very positive results because I followed the instructions that others have posted. Both battery charge rates are 14.6v exactly. I give them credit for their help. Larry the administrator personally called me and discussed it with me at length since I am a motor yacht technician I was understanding well.
I advise anyone with this issue to follow the steps to the t and save many dollars. Clean, Clean, Clean, deeper and deeper, it will save you time and money.
The following users liked this post:
Sparkybob (03-17-2018)
Old 12-24-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Never ever ever replace just one battery it never works I can not remember how many tines I have gone over this with other people the old battery always pulls more load and destroys the new one your vehicle is voltage sensitive all the new stuff relay's a lot on .5 voltage ECM ,sensors etc
Old 12-24-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good tip, I've been fighting some battery problems myself. i still have the OEM batteries in mine.

Another thing a lot of people neglect to do is keep the top surface of the batteries clean. The dirt gathers moisture and provides a current path between the posts for current to flow and reduces the storage capacity of the battery.