3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Depress Clutch to start fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Tee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depress Clutch to start fuse?

Did multiple searches and couldn't find what I am looking for.

On my 97 Jeep there is a fuse you can pull that allows you to start the thing without the clutch depressed....Does my 06 Ram have this same fuse?

Thanks in advance.....
Old 12-15-2007, 07:16 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I dont know about a fuse. Also, I know you are probably just wondering about it for information purposes but please dont try to bypass your clutch pedal interlock switch. Not only is it really dangerous but it is tied in with your cruise control and stuff. I tried finding the post about a wife killing her husband (shoved into another vehicle) who had disabled the switch. She was trying to turn the key to accy for the radio. Our trucks have such a powerful starter and so much torque it could probably start in 4th gear. Just my thoughts on the subject.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably shouldn't ask it but I am going to....

Are you too darn lazy to push in the clutch???????

It's a safety thing, leave it alone and mash the darn clutch.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Tee

Appreciate the input.....The only reason I want to do this is I am recovering from a shattered ankle, my left ankle, 8 titanium screws and two titanium plates are still in my ankle!.. I was released to drive this last week. I can push the clutch to drive just fine, no pain at all, but that extra push to engage the start switch causes some BAD pain. I would like to disable it just long enouph to get thru my next 6 months of thearapy without damaging my ankle again and setting back my thearapy.

Next time you start your truck pay attention to the fact that you have to push the clutch an extra 2+ inches to engage the start switch. Long after the clutch is actually engaged.

Wife can't drive a stick so I should be ok there!!!!
Old 12-15-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why can't you just engage the parking brake and then use your other foot to push the clutch in?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:38 PM

Been through the same thing when I had my left knee ACL surgery done. I do understand. It did hurt like the dickens to have to push the clutch all the way in. If you want to do it right just get a push button switch to mount somewhere handy so you can start the truck. What you would want is a Single pole, Single Throw, Normally open switch. Wire it in parallel with the clutch switch that way it will still work but you can push a button and start the truck. Think safety first.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:39 PM

I do not know of a fuse that could be pulled in the neutral/clutch safety switch circuit, but there may well be one in the mix somewhere. Are you looking to install a remote start? The neutral/clutch safety switch completes or breaks a circuit to allow starting. I am not sure if it is the grounded side like some vehicles have or not. You could go to a wiring schematic to find out how the switch is energised or what it energises or possibly what it disconnects/breaks to allow the starter circuit to function. Depending on how it works in the circuit you could wire in the same switch effect on a toggle, but you would have to remember to leave the tranny in neutral - this is the greatest safety concern and why a neutral/clutch exists.

Personally, I would not recommend doing this mod for a remote start, but it probably is done all the time. Better to go out to the truck and manually start it, especially in cold weather as the grid heater really should cycle before starting.

CD
Old 12-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by hobbz
why can't you just engage the parking brake and then use your other foot to push the clutch in?
I'll give that a try, However, the parking brake is left foot also?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by Spooler
Been through the same thing when I had my left knee ACL surgery done. I do understand. It did hurt like the dickens to have to push the clutch all the way in. If you want to do it right just get a push button switch to mount somewhere handy so you can start the truck. What you would want is a Single pole, Single Throw, Normally open switch. Wire it in parallel with the clutch switch that way it will still work but you can push a button and start the truck. Think safety first.
I like this idea, I can just spice into the wires and put a push button on the dash. Thanks, off to NAPA in the morning.

On the Jeep it is there so you can use the starter to crawl and or start the engine when in deep mud without depressing the clutch. Simple as a fuse you pull from one hole and put in another.... I understand the safety concern, but if it was a total RALF NADER deal there wouldn't be a fuse in the Jeeps.

For those of you wondering why I don't just drive the Jeep? I have lifted the **** thing so HIGH I can't even get in it with my ankle brace/etc. on
Old 12-15-2007, 08:19 PM

I feel your pain...... For me it was hard to just get in the darn car I had. Had to crawl in almost in the passenger seat to get my left leg in. The day that happened I was off and running so to speak. May want to check with an VOM doing a continuity test to make sure I am correct with the harness unplugged from the switch.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:54 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Sorry to hear about your akle. Owwch! Perhaps you could use a stick to push the pedal with when starting it up. Maybe put something on the end that would cup around the clutch pedal so it wouldnt slip off. Might keep you from having to mess with your wiring.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:09 PM

My 89 Dakota doesn't have a clutch switch (didn't come with one). I have used it to move the truck on the starter motor.

One day I was jump-starting my car with it. The vehicles were nose to nose a couple of feet apart. I hooked up the cables, and went to start the truck. Not thinking, I reached through the open window and cranked the key. The truck lurched forward and the engine caught on the first spark.

The truck smashed into the car, the winch/pushbar destroyed the grill, facia, and rad.

It is a good thing nobody was between the vehicles!
Old 12-16-2007, 05:56 PM

I have three clutch stories.

1) 87 f250. I was working inside a large 150x300 metal shop and truck was inside. I was going to start the truck to let it warm up while I changed out of my coveralls, etc. As I was all dirty I leaned in, pushed the clutch down with my hand and using the other one started it. I thought it was in neutral and let off the clutch and it was in gear. Truck nearly ran me over and went clear across the shop and smashed a workbench and broke headlight.

2) 94 f250. clutch switch quit working so we bypassed it. Truck was backed in at a motel. In the morning one half awake worker started the truck in reverse and truck lurched backward and hit the airconditioner on the motel room. It knocked the AC out of the wall, busted the wall, and window. $4000 to fix motel room.

3) 2001 Dodge 3/4. I installed a remote start and had to bypass clutch switch to make it work. I always at night put it in neutral and set parking brake. One day I went to go visit my friend at his office and when I sat down I heard my truck start up. Seems the button on my remote got pushed in my pocket when I sat down. Truck was in reverse, went across the street and ran into someones house.

After these experiences I am very careful when it comes to clutches.