3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Delayed engagement question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen this numerous times but not all the time.

Here is the scenario I ran into twice on my recent trip home.
I am in a turn lane ready to take a left hand turn a space opens up I step on the gas the engine revs up but does not move for sometimes up to 2-3 seconds then engages and the truck goes as expected

Now when this has also happened I was not able to get across the oncoming lane because the truck didnt move when I stepped on it and had to brake again to wait for my next time to cross.. I didnt stomp on it to the floor but just a normal accelerate to get going.

It does not happen every time I start from a stop but it does happen frequently I pay more attention these last couple of times since I was trying to pull into or move across oncoming traffic and feared not getting out of the way.

Is this normal? if not any ideas?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am assuming you have an automatic tranny. You might consider adding some more info to your signature.......Oh and by the way....Welcome to DTR!

There will be others that will chime in soon, hopefully.........but I would say that that is in no way normal. You have some sort of transmission trouble. Sounds like it is slipping really bad for some reason. I would get into the dealer and get it checked out ASAP if it is still under warranty. That can be very dangerous if you are trying to get through an intersection and your truck stalls.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:35 AM

Check your fluid level for starters. No way that's normal! If the fluid level is fine then get it to the dealer before something bad happens....
Old 04-07-2006, 06:42 AM

It does not happen every time I start from a stop but it does happen frequently I pay more attention these last couple of times since I was trying to pull into or move across oncoming traffic and feared not getting out of the way.
Well, I'm going to disagree with the previous two posters, and state that I believe it is "normal" as mine does this as well, since new (two yeas now). It is a combination of:

a. ECM "torque management"
b. turbo lag

I have a couple of places on my commute where it is "merge or die" so to speak - just yesterday, I stomped on it to make a quick left turn during a break in traffic, and yes, my truck did the 1-2 second delay, then went. Believe, I almost pooped myself because of that oncoming vehicle.

I have learned to roll into the throttle a bit, and also, to just wait until I know I have enough time to make the turn.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:38 AM

Wexman, would the revving up be part of it? That doesn't sound normal to me, but my 03 has less torque management perhaps than an 04.5/05. I've never seen my truck do this, and I have punched it when the pullout timing was critical. Usually I say something like, "Weee... torque!"

It sounds to me like mcasey has something slipping, and it sounds dangerous.

And I'm not saying that this is what you saw, but once I was accelerating and noticed that I was about to miss my turn. So I dumped the throttle and got hard on the brakes. My wastegate moaned and there was a noticeable delay before the power came back. Since I'm bad about talking to myself when driving, I said, "Don't do that!" (and I haven't).
Old 04-07-2006, 10:01 AM

Here I thought you were talking about your honey OR the truck...

My 05 does the same thing. I don't know if it still does it or I just have gotten use to it. I think if you just NAIL the throttle, it will lag a lot more then just rolling into the throttle to get you going. It senses that if you don't have a big load on the truck, it must defuel a little or something. Works much quicker if I roll into the throttle, then give it to it once turbo gets going or the tranny finds the right gear it wants to be in.

Since installing the TC lockup switch, I push that button and off I go without it hunting for a gear. Much better, just took a little getting use to.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:16 AM

I think if you just NAIL the throttle, it will lag a lot more then just rolling into the throttle to get you going.
Exactly. That is what I have learned.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the replys, I have noticed that it I NAIL it it does lag more, so I usually roll into it but I dont roll as much when I want to go.

I might be mistaken about the rpms moving up, I am not sure now after reading the other replies. I hear the engine whine some then nothing. a but if I get the delay things kick in, I do'nt rememeber if this happens at speed or not, I really have ot passed much and if I do I usually get a running start at it since I am used to a truck with no power at all.

I never thought about the torque converter so I will watch it more and see.

This truck is way out of warrenty @ 171,000 miles
Old 04-07-2006, 04:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, check your fluid level (warm, level ground, in neutral).

If that's OK then flush your tranny and adjust the bands.

If that doesn't help then get it looked at.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:03 PM

Maybe: ECM telling tranny to slowly apply torque in measured amounts so as not to tear it up. My Ford company truck does the same thing.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:55 AM

Maybe I understood the first post wrong. My take was that it was revving up then trans would jam into gear. If that's not the case, then Wexman is correct. My truck has done that a time or two. It seems to happen at the least opportune times too. Truck kind of goes, falls on it's face till I let off the throttle a bit, then hauls butt...