3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dealer wants $2000 to install a sentry key system !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer wants $2000 to install a sentry key system !!!

My brother dropped his 04.5 off at the dealer to get the sentry key system installed as talked about here on a couple of threads. The dealer claims the dash wireing harness didn't include the wire down the steering column for a SKIM (Sentry key immobilizer module).

When he asked the dealer how much to add that wire they said $1900 for a whole new dash wire harness. Well I decided to look at the pinout for the SKIM in my service manual and its actually very simple. Its just 4 wires Pin2-PCI Bus / Pin4-is fused ignition Run-Start / Pin5-Ground / Pin6-Fused B+.

After looking furter into the wiring digaram I realized all those connections are very accesable. The only issue I'm running into is trying to find a wire pigtail with the plug on the end to plug into the SKIM. Basicly just a skim plug with like 6" wire leads.

Anyone have any ideas or maybe a part number for a replacement plug ?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheFog
My brother dropped his 04.5 off at the dealer to get the sentry key system installed as talked about here on a couple of threads. The dealer claims the dash wireing harness didn't include the wire down the steering column for a SKIM (Sentry key immobilizer module).

When he asked the dealer how much to add that wire they said $1900 for a whole new dash wire harness. Well I decided to look at the pinout for the SKIM in my service manual and its actually very simple. Its just 4 wires Pin2-PCI Bus / Pin4-is fused ignition Run-Start / Pin5-Ground / Pin6-Fused B+.

After looking furter into the wiring digaram I realized all those connections are very accesable. The only issue I'm running into is trying to find a wire pigtail with the plug on the end to plug into the SKIM. Basicly just a skim plug with like 6" wire leads.

Anyone have any ideas or maybe a part number for a replacement plug ?
You can try a wrecking yard, not sure if the pigtail can be had like that. The wire harness list price is a tad bit over $500.00. The sterring colum will need to be taped for the screw to hold the Immobilizer module (List 73.55) , also you will need a secret key # to program in the ECM and Immobilizer. Then you also need a transponer key (List around $40.00) that needs a secret key programed also.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by 68ss
You can try a wrecking yard, not sure if the pigtail can be had like that. The wire harness list price is a tad bit over $500.00. The sterring colum will need to be taped for the screw to hold the Immobilizer module (List 73.55) , also you will need a secret key # to program in the ECM and Immobilizer. Then you also need a transponer key (List around $40.00) that needs a secret key programed also.

I've found where DC sells a package of 2 keys and SKIM with a dinky alarm for just under $200. I already looked at his steering colunm comparied to mine and the thread for the skim is already there on his. (I couldn't see how DC could justify making two differnt steering columns over a skim screw hole).
I was planning on doing what Tavist said and just install the whole skim system and just take it to a dealer and pay them $60 bucks to hook up the DRBIII and enable the system and program the keys.

Its stuff like this that makes me like working on my 4runner more and more. The toyota parts dept will sell you just a plug for what ever in the vehicle you need it for and the pins to crimp on for the replacement plug. I hate going to junkyard because those idiots will want you to buy a WHOLE steering column and wheel just for that harness.