3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dealer Nonsense - 10K UNDER Invoice!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460
ON A $42,000 msrp TRUCK...what does a dealer actually pay for it? Please answer this one.
IMO, this is going to vary. For instance, I bought mine for invoice - incentives - the $500 farm bureau rebate. I had to wait a few days as you have to be a farm bureau member for 30 days (I believe) to get this. A couple of days before that, my salesman called me and asked if I could come down before my 30 days was up as they had a big incentive they were trying to reach. He said they'd take $500 off the price so I wouldn't lose anything. I did.

If a dealership needed to sell one more vehicle to reach an incentive, and you walked in at 9pm knowing what you wanted and would buy that night if they'd meet your price, I think you'd leave there very happy.

My friend no longer works at the dealership I bought mine, but the next time I'm in the market for a vehicle, I think I'll decide exactly what I want, give an offer to a dealer and tell them to call me if they can do it. Who knows, maybe they'll need to reach an incentive and will call me some night saying they think we can work something out. Or, maybe I'm a dreamer.

It would only make sense that a high volume dealer would pay less than a smaller dealership. I could be wrong, though.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:25 PM

I really screwed up last week. I found a auto sales place here locally that had 3 hail damaged 06's. They were all quad cab, laramie, 4wd, short beds. All had 47K sticker. The hail damage isn't too bad. Needs a hood, quite a bit of PDR on one side. The downside is that they have salvage titles. Less than 10 miles on each one of them. I had my pick of any of them for $27K. I went today to get the gray or white one, and they had sold both of them.

They still have a black one, but I hate keeping black clean. What do you guys think? Is it a good deal? Seems like a hell of a deal to me. They are going to get in a gold one next week, but I don't know if I would like that.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
With a salvage title I would get a new one for $33K
Old 08-07-2006, 09:07 PM

Can you get a Laramie quad cab with leather, heated seats, power rear glass, infinity speakers, etc... for $33K? It will cost $1500 to have a friend fix the damage.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:48 AM

If you plan on keeping the truck forever....then it wouldn't be a bad deal (less than 27K). But with the salvage title you won't be able to resell the truck to anyone, unless its dirt cheap...
I would just pay the 8 to 10 grand more and get a clear title.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 AM

Hmmmmmmm

Seems 43K is the magic sticker price. Last year we purchased our truck on my father's employee discount for 27k. I think the real and in-fact dealer cost was around the 33k range (on the EP plan they can't bait and switch; chrysler issues a control docment and the price is the price) there was a 5K rebate for using chrysler financial for at least 3 months? (which we did and promptly paid it off afterward, thanks for the 5k Chrysler!) The truck came with free oil changes at the regular service intervals, which is a great thing (I've put 36k in just over a year) I always get my truck back spotless; they noticed some peeling on the leather wheel and replaced it last time I was in. I'm quite happy with the purchase; which leads me to my point: I purchased the perfect vehicle for my purpose, it works perfectly and has done so since I received it, the dealership has been fist rate with me and having recently had the owner of the dealer as a student in my riding school and having a few rather lengthy conversations about how the business works etc I've decided it really doesn't matter to me if the dealership made a few bucks from my purchase. I got what I wanted, it serves it's purpose, and they treat me well everytime I go there. I'm an extremely frugal person by nature but I kinda fell like some things cost what they cost.