3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dealer Nonsense - 10K UNDER Invoice!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Nonsense - 10K UNDER Invoice!?!

I bought a 2006 Toyota Corolla S for my wife (she like the 38MPG). Got it for invoice.

While doing the paperwork the dealer asked what I drove, so I told him that it was a Ram 2500, he then asked what I payed for it. I had nothing to hide, I told him that I paid 3% UNDER invoice PLUS the $4500 in rebates. He then stated I OVERPAID! I told him that that is probably one of the BEST deals that one can get at that time. He then told me that he bought a 2001, back in 2001, and got $10K UNDER INVOICE. He then claimed he can get that deal even today.

I told him it was because he knew someone, the owner or general manager, but the average person could not get that type of deal on a new truck. He then got mad and emphasized I overpaid.

I don't know if he was ****** off because we bought the Toyota at invoice and then I rejected his offer to buy the "extended warranty" at $1000.00. I told him the extended warranty was a rip-off.

Oh well...
Old 07-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sounds like he was just jerking your chain
Old 07-29-2006, 11:19 PM

The dealer down here is advertising $3500 below invoice.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:31 PM

Probably meant 10k below MSRP. That's what I paid for mine out here in CA.

Truck was 43k msrp, 33k before tax, invoice was 37k, sounds like we got basically the same deal.

That was after I threatened to go to Dave Smith in Idaho

.............Jim
Old 07-30-2006, 08:01 AM

Mine stickered for 43, got approximately 9800 off sticker plus trade-in. I'm very happy with my deal!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:37 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I paid a little more than 8K off of MSRP. 10 G's below invoice is probably near what it cost's DC to roll them off the line.
Invoice on my truck was $38,508.(MSRP of $43,110, yeah right)
EP minus rebate came to $35,322. So, the claim of $3,500 off of INVOICE is pretty accurate on some trucks.
In short, the guy is confused. Why people want to say things to make others feel uncomfortable about a recent purchase is beyond me, it's just generally in bad taste....... It's like breaking someones nads about an interest rate. It is what it is.
There is no 10K under invoice, darn sure not back in 2001 with as stong as the market still was back then. You probably couldn't even get to, let alone below invoice back then, no matter who you know.

Plus, he really doesn't know what he talking about, so that makes it worse.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:08 AM

39,055 sticker, 30,900 sale price. I'm happy.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:29 AM

It wouldn't be the first car lot person that doesn't know which handle is the dipstick.
The guys in the finance office are salesmen, not usually car people. Thier job is to sell the warranties and other add-ons, including trying to get you to run the loan through them. The dealers make more money on those things than selling the vehicle. Basically, every dealer buys a vehicle for the same price. They get a "rebate" back from the OE at certain volume levels, but that increases if the dealer runs the loan through the OE as well. The higher percentage of loans the bigger the profit.
I took a job for 2 weeks at a dealership (I was waiting for another job to start and I hated my old employer, so I went to "work" at my old job then went to work at the dealership) I was in outside sales, so I could get away with it. Anyway, I worked at the dealership, just to find out if they were a twisted as I thought, and they were. But, in more devious ways than I thought. There is no part of buying a vehicle that isn't connected to a profit margin somewhere. To them the worst customer is the guy who comes in with no trade and buys a vehicle for cash and won't buy anything else. The dealer collects the salestax and immediately deposits that money to collect interest until they pay it to the state. The experience changed the way I've bought cars every since. I hold no loyalty to any dealer, and I have driven 3-4 hours to get a better deal. Almost every dealer anymore has internet sales, use them, it gets more dealers to bid on your purchase. Make a list of the vehicle and options and e-mail or fax it to every dealer in a reasonable driving distance, request a quote and explain exactly what you want. Some won't play along, some will try and talk you into more than you asked for and some will be willing to deal on your terms because the volume means something to them.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:49 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by nriver
i got 12K off sticker. it was their ad price. all i had to do was sign the paperwork.
A Laramie I'm guessing? That sounds like a heck of a deal.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
A Laramie I'm guessing? That sounds like a heck of a deal.
yep, it was a couple years back, they had two on the lot with the same offer.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:12 PM

Dealers here in TX are offering around 11.5k off dually's. Employee pricing, some BS dealer rebate, then factory rebates.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:02 PM

Auto manufacturers have dug such a hole for themselves with this 10g below sticker crap. Why not put a realistic price on the vehicles, and let people negotiate up from wholesale invoice. Stick the employee pricing BS up their behinds.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by rammtuff
Auto manufacturers have dug such a hole for themselves with this 10g below sticker crap.
Got that right, what a joke. They like to talk about the MSRP all the time too, like you are really getting such a steal. Fact is they CAN'T sell them anywhere near that ridicilous price on the window sticker, not in this market.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:19 PM

Most car salesmen (if not all) are a bunch of "clowns". that is one job, that if I had it. I would not tell a sole. They are noted for not being the most straight shooters out there. Now back to the question. Don't get to exited about what the car salesmen said. If there lips are moveing. They are lying.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:48 PM

My dad is picking his 06 3500 LWB SRW Laramie up on Tuesday. He paid $38280. He is also getting the exhaust brake for $1500 installed. They are going to put the clearance lights, pin stipe it and change to the Big Horn wheels for free as part of the deal. Pretty respectable deal all around I would say. I told him about the wheels. We were looking at the trucks and the Laramies have a plastic cover over the wheels to make them look shiny. What in the world kind of crap is that?

Quick Reply: Dealer Nonsense - 10K UNDER Invoice!?!