3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dealer has a "bought back" CTD

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer has a "bought back" CTD

While I was at the Dodge dealer today getting my dash taken care of the service manager was telling me about a CTD that the dealership had that DC bought back. Apparently the owner thought that when the lights were dimming when it was cold was a factory defect. Every dealership around explained to this guy that it was normal for the grid heaters to cyle when cold. DC got sick of listening to him and bought the truck back with 50k on it. Unfortunatley the dealership is not allowed to sell it. DC comes and gets it and auctions it off and it will now be branded as a lemon.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:34 PM

It took him 50k miles to figure this out? I bet he did it so he could buy a new CTD.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:44 PM

So maybe if I keep bringing my truck back to the dealer for this "normal" vibration, they will eventually give in? HA! If only I could be so lucky!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:04 PM

The guy did get another CTD. He knew what he was doing. Too bad the rest of us have to pay for it.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:06 PM

I bet he got a 6.7.

And when the "new style" comes out, he'll come up with another excuse and have DC buy back the "old" 6.7
Old 02-02-2007, 08:12 PM

Even when the truck is sold at auction, it will be fixed before sold, by law.
My girlfriend used to do the lemon law buy backs for the Chrysler 2.7s and Dodge truck/vans that would slip out of park.(no shes not responsible for the alarm, she just listened to people vent and told them the settlement they would recieve)

I also almost got a job with her company inpsecting the cars at auction to make sure the repairs were made so it could be auctioned off...

I am laughing at the fact that they bought it back from the heater grid cycling though
Old 02-02-2007, 08:29 PM

hold on here... it just doesnt seem right.... DC will void anything and everything possible for the smallest and dumbest things... we all know this.
Now, every single cummins, well 3rd gen anyways, that i've been in does this... I don't think DC is that dumb to buy a truck back that could be EASILY proved happens to every other truck out there. Either something else is going on with that truck or that guy litterally fell in a pile of #2 and came out smelling like a rose...
Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 PM

I agree with HourseHauler!!!! There is something more to this than the Grid Heaters- - - - - DC would not buy back a truck that was having this as a so called problem! This is the way the Product was intended to operate so DC would just let the guy go to court and spend his money!!! I wonder what the real reason for the buy back was. If I would have not got such a great deal with trading my 06 Auto for my Manual I would have lemon lawed the Auto!!! I had enough time in the shop to do it but the dealership I deal with wants to keep me as a customer and they were great about it.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HorseHauler
Either something else is going on with that truck or that guy litterally fell in a pile of #2 and came out smelling like a rose...
Sounds like an urban myth to me too.

DC buys them back so they are NOT a lemon. A true lemon (only ordered by a court of law) cannot be resold. That is why they buy it back 1st, before they go to court so they can resell it and recoup some money. If they did not go to court it is NOT a lemon, as defined by law.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:28 PM

buy backs go to the crusher, they cannot leagally be sold to the public...
Old 02-03-2007, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by chromegrill
buy backs go to the crusher, they cannot leagally be sold to the public...
Or they are donated to tech schools to use as training aids. I went to the University of Northwestern for auto tech and one of the training aids was a Dakota RT that Chysler bought back because it had the wrong tow rating printed on the bumper or something. There was a bunch of GM and Toyota vehicles that were donated also but dont know the details. All of the vehicles have a big sticker across the windshield that says "This vehicle is for training purposes only and can not be licensed or registered".
Old 02-03-2007, 07:50 AM

It is not who you know its who you blow!
Old 02-03-2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by HorseHauler
hold on here... it just doesnt seem right.... DC will void anything and everything possible for the smallest and dumbest things... we all know this.
Now, every single cummins, well 3rd gen anyways, that i've been in does this... I don't think DC is that dumb to buy a truck back that could be EASILY proved happens to every other truck out there. Either something else is going on with that truck or that guy litterally fell in a pile of #2 and came out smelling like a rose...
Ditto....There is definatley more to the story.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to agree with the above posts. There was nothing wrong with the truck,we all know this.Therefore there is no way they bought that truck back for the dimminng of the lights.They will try not to buy it back if you have ligitimate issues, I'm sure there not going to buy back a perfectly good truck.Just because he's a whiner.There has to be much more to the story,Someone should carfax it.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:16 PM

Hey maybe we are onto some thing. Kind of like the Michelin tires. If enough of us complain to DC about our lights dimming maybe they will start buying our trucks back and let us get something else. NOT!!!!

Buy back after 50k when everyone of our trucks do that?

Quick Reply: Dealer has a "bought back" CTD