3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dealer Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Experience

Dropped my truck off at the Dealer to have a flash to resolve the interior light flash/temp sensor (TSB 08-026-06). The service writer asked if I had gotten the diff changed. He told me that I had use only MOPAR fluids to get Chrysler to warranty. I changed 75w140 in the rear and 75w90 in the front. He asked why, I explained that I drag a horse for most of summer and here (Central Texas) it gets powerfully hot. He told me to expect problems with the 75w140. I am using AMSOIL fluids by the way.

I paid to get the hi-idle enabled. When the ECM is reflashed, does hi-idle need to be re-enabled?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 AM

Turn on the high idle and see if it works.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, it will have to enabled again if the ECM was flashed. Many people complain about this one so check it when you pick it up. Tech may or maynot have done it. Having to use Mopar fluids...... Noop, that is not true at all.......This is what the Mag. Moss act is about....
Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM

Find out where the service adviser got his info on the 80w140 gear oil being harmfull to a AAM rear axel.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:48 AM

I would have given that service writer the web address to the Carson Dodge website AND sites like this one. There are several discussions regard diff fluids, also a lot more stuff, he NEEDS an education. It's OK to be a company man, but it's not OK to suggest that Mopar Diff fluid is the only fluid your diffs can use.

I would also have been asking him where he got his info regarding the one specific oil weight, and I also would have asked him to put his statement in writing OR provide something in writing.

Your service writer is just like mine, looking at less service bay traffic, less sales of Mopar products, wondering why we all choose to do our own stuff and make our own decisions. Something to do with the fact that we are not all SHEEPLE maybe? That we don't all take dictation well? That we might even want to use something better and take care of our asset at a higher standard than their recommended minimum?

CD
Old 12-20-2007, 01:24 PM

Well I have read issues with using wrong weight fliuds thinking its doing a better job.Example.It has gone by me in the past that 80w140 may actually be harmful to the AAM differantials as HOT it does not flow as easy or quick as the 90wt..Don't remember actually the issue with it but there was one.It does not remove heat as quickly and flow as easy into the deep areas in bearings etc.Same as motor oil.No one advertises or pushes using 20w50 or what ever in stock autos because of flow issues and clearances.My 06 Gran Marguis calls for 80w140 but NO one has EVER shown me in print that a AAM in a Dodge diesel calls for 80w140 in ANY condition the truck is used for.The SERVICE WRITER at that store just MIGHT and I said MIGHT be more informed then you think.Once in a while they is a smart/informed one in a dealer service floor.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:40 PM

I am sticking to the weight and rating the manual states. Keeping detailed records and receipts for warranty (if needed). The way DC is denying claims I don't want togive them a reason on the maintainance I am doing myself.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:52 PM

I not only keep records of mileage when work is performed, I keep all my receipts for proof of purchase AND I send out an oil sample of every oil change from the engine, tranny, xfer case and diffs. If I change the power steering fluid, brake fluid or whatever it goes out for testing. The outside testing serves as a better record, no different than the records the dealership maintains.

CD