3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dealer dented roof.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most dealerships are marginal at best when it comes to service.
Your better off learning yourself or find a good service center that has good mechanics. (preferably ones that drive diesels themselves).
Old 08-19-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hounddog
I hired great BOAT techs.Said being at the DEALERSHIP was GREAT compared to working on boats.Dagging tools to the LAKE,weekends,cramped quarters and so on.Try getting a TRACTOR repaired.Every one wants a gravy train these days.Decent DEALER techs make 60k plus a year! Like ANY small business the benifits are min. YET I KNOW several TECHs that have 3500 sf homes,numerous hotrods,deer hunt in what ever state they want to,ex wives and yet ***** about poor pay and how hard it is.When I was a teenager you had to KNOW someone to get a HELPERS job in a DEALERSHIP. See the scene I'm describing.
Yeah - it's all relative...
Tech work is fun if you like working with your hands and brain at the same time, and profitable if you're any good at it. Back in the day (1980), you were lucky to get chosen from the crowd just to start in the shop at the bottom of the totem pole sweeping the floors and being the target of the grizzled veteran's practical jokes. Nowadays, the demand for techs is so high it seems any newbie with a patch on his shirt is "qualified" and turned loose on your expensive machinery.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:03 AM

You hit the nail on the head.Hot shops,hard surface floors and the won't get a paycheck unless you work is kinda hard on the new generation.I started in a DEALER(G.M.)that was full of 50 plus year old techs.They for the most part came to work in street clothes,carried a lunch pale and had NO lifts.Rebuilt water pumps,starters,alternators etc.The I moved to a DASTUN store.Younger guys.Came to work in thir uniforms wanted to go ut for lunch BUT ate,lived and slept DATSUNS.New models were always tuff but the previous years stuff most got where they knew the product through and through.WE got as MANY as ONE to THREE TSB's a MONTH,maybe.Then in 1984 and front wheel drive got big.Things went to hell and a handbag.Malls,suburbs,front wheel drive,tons of electronics and the TSB's came in PILES.More FOOT WORK(LOTS MORE) for same pay,porters went away,extra help went away,techs were younguns wanting dental,60k a year and so on.Things changed.Just like the construction industary.Spoiled society.Most DEALERS put out a LOT for techs.Its just the pickings are slim.Some take whatever just to TRY to get product fixed.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:36 PM

Well the dealer has agreed to have the dent removed. They were actually very nice to deal with. I felt they would have given me whatever I asked for so I'm happy right now. I'll see on wed after the appointment.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:03 PM

I was worried about the dealer I took my truck in to last week, but they seemed OK. Dealer didn't do any WORK to it yet but we'll see when they get my new driveshaft in if they are worth their weight. I tend to do all my own work but I'm really busy right now and I figure if they will replace the rear DS for free, it should be pretty hard for them to screw it up....