3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dash rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash rattle

I have an annoying dash rattle (at idle in gear) that smoothes out only after the engine warms up. I'll just isolate it and fix it myself when I get tired of it, rather than having the dealer try to track it down.

I'm just curious if anyone else had that problem with their new '05?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one too. It seems to disappear after things warm up. Sounds like a wire swinging back and forth against something but I cannot locate it. Seems to be coming from maybe behind the tach area. Drives me nuts but then goes away.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The '03s had a dash rattle that was caused by the hydroboost lines. Mine did it and when I tie wrapped the two hydroboost lines together the rattle disappeared. Something to check.

MikeyB
Old 02-19-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by MikeyB
The '03s had a dash rattle that was caused by the hydroboost lines. Mine did it and when I tie wrapped the two hydroboost lines together the rattle disappeared. Something to check.

MikeyB
the hoses on my '04.5 have weights installed on them.

my truck has several rattles and harmonic vibrations. should be fun tracking them down.

900rpm rattle in gauge cluster
2000rpm buzz
door rattle
dash rattle

Old 04-12-2005, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by MikeyB

MikeyB
I have this rattle as well...can someone point out where the hydroboost lines are? It's a 2003 2500 CTD.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:09 PM

The hydroboost lines are used for the power steering system. They are two black hoses that run from the steering rack up along the steering wheel shaft. I wrapped some foam weatherstriping around them for protection and then secured the hoses together with a tie-strap on top of the foam padding. One of my hydroboost lines was previously rubbing against the steering shaft, and by using the tie-strap and foam it now has some clearance.

- Mike
Old 04-12-2005, 04:44 PM

I have this same under the dash rattle. I have strapped my ps hoses together and that got rid of the 2000 rpm buzz. This little rattle is more prominent when cold but still on a broken pavement road, noticeable. I thought it was my boost line but after tying it down, the noise is still there. Anybody tracked this little booger down?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Banned

MIne rattled for awhile. drove us nuts. figured out it was the manual shifter for the t-case. while it is rattling, hold the shifter to one side or another, if it goes away, then you have some quick work to do, took about 10 minutes to fix. If you have this issue, PM me and I will give you the tip. Good luck. Been rattle free for 5K miles now.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:09 AM

When I got home yesterday after posting I looked at all the hoses ... I had my wife sit in the cab while the engine was running. The Dash rattle seems to be coming from one of the front heat/cooling vents (second from the right). Maybe a loose vent?

Now it only rattles when the dash heats up...either from sitting in the sun for a few hours or on those cold mornings with the heat on blowing toward the windshield.

I think this needs the dash removed to fix. How hard is the dash to remove?? Anyone ever done it on a 2003? I just hate taking it to the dealer and it comes back with a NFF.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:19 PM

I have a similar rattle... After going nuts, I determined it was the hood. What I did was to pull the hood release at about 10 mph. The rattle disappeared. It will be addressed at the next scheduled service
Old 04-15-2005, 09:38 AM

Went into the dealer this morning....

I'll report back on the findings.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:30 AM

I also have a rattle, mine sounds to be coming from the cup holder/ashtray area. Doesn't happen all the time. Happens at all speeds but not constantly, no difference if it's warmed up or cold, Don't have the manual shifter so it's not that.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:08 AM

OK so...

Took the truck in last Friday...of course the noise was NOT there when they tested/looked...so NFF

BUT yesterday when I got into my truck after work - BINGO noise (rattle) was there. I drove straight to the dealer.

A tech came out, popped the top section of the Dash off (very easy) and tried to locate/fix the rattle. He tried using a tar type putty but that didn't work. He suggested I come back in the morning as he would have to remove more of the dash.

It's there now....once again I'll report back on the solution.

PS.. It seems to be the plactic liner which is located directly behind the winshield - looks like it's not the vent after all.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:59 AM

When I leave the house and it is cold, our road is cracked pretty bad and I would hear this wire slapping rattle noise everytime I hit a crack, until the truck warmed up. I put on Bilstein 5100's last week and have not heard the rattle since. Probably not gone, but the new shocks are keeping the truck from jarring enough to stop the noise. I guess that is a fix?