3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dash Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Noise

I have an 03 ,4x4, ho ctd. It has had a vibrating noise behind the glove box area ever since it was new. It seems to be the worst when you go up a slight grade between 55 and 60 mph. When you go down a hill and let off of the foot pedal the noise will go away. It sounds like the air vent is vibrating but that is not it either. My truck has 26000 miles on it and it has also started to make a tapping noise behind the radio when you go on a rough road. The front end also sounds like something is loose when I drive through my deer lease. This truck is rarely off pavement except during deer season so I am surprised at the rattles it has developed in 28 moinths. Has anyone had any of these problems ?
Old 01-02-2006, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have the updated hydroboost lines? The lines between the power steering pump and the brake system should have a large metal weight attached. Most that had a vibration rattle behind the radio was fixed by the new lines.
Might want to check the bolts for the shock mounts and the track bar to make sure their tight.

MikeyB
Old 01-02-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My front dash panel rattles sometimes. It's not constant but does happen once a week or so. I haven't really investigated it much but I am positive that's what it is because it stops once I put my hand on it. It does get annoying and I will eventually figure out a way to stop it.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by leonesm
My front dash panel rattles sometimes. It's not constant but does happen once a week or so. I haven't really investigated it much but I am positive that's what it is because it stops once I put my hand on it. It does get annoying and I will eventually figure out a way to stop it.
Please post what you find. Mine doesn't do it buy my wifes Stratus does the same thing. And when I put my hand on the top left corner it will stop. Let me know, hopefully it will be the same.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:11 AM

If you have an auto tranny, tye-wrap the fill tube to its brace. Been quite a few reports of that causing hard to diagnose rattles. It fixed my rattle.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 AM

I would also check you engine bay's insulation that goes behind the motor and onto the tranny hump. I started getting MORE noise for some reason and could even hear a whining noise (NO, not turbo). Found out that the insulation let loose and dropped about 1" - 2" away from the body, just hanging there some what. It didn't get any worse but it drove me up the wall. Finally took some Liquid Nail stuff and coated it and wedged it up there (placed something on the back valve cover to hold) and let it dry for a day. Noise is all gone and truck is even quieter now since doing that about 10,000 miles ago.

I have seen several that have fallen down and need to be put back up.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:48 PM

I had the same problem with my truck when I first bought it. It sounds like a low frequency buzz from center of the dash to the right side of the dash. Only did it when idling. Drove me nuts Almost sold the truck. The second dealer found the problem. They told me that a part in the dash was installed incorrectly.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:25 PM

Try this, I know it sounds crazy but I had a very annoying rattle from the dash top. I thought it might be the cowl, no luck there everything was tight. So one day after work I finally could'nt take it any more so I removed the dash top and low and behold it was a dam sticker that was coming loose from underside the middle of the dash top. This sticker was a manufactuing part# tag that had become sunbaked and brittle so it vibrated like crazy. Long story short, no more noise any more.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:39 PM

how hard is it to remove the top of the dash in these things??? I would love to remove it to see in there and to find my idle rattle too. It happened after I installed my amsoil filter setup but I didn't attatch anything to the cab or firewall My filters are mounted to the head. I don't think they are actually causing it but it could be related. It all started when I installed my filters and then brought it too the dealership for a new trans valve body and silinoids along with a new shifter cable. As a matter of fact when I went back to get the cable readjusted is when I first heard it. So maybe it is something to do with the shifter cable.??
Old 07-22-2006, 06:42 PM

Check Your Heater Core Lines Where They Go Through The Firewall