3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Darn tail light fell off today? Also, what's up with my fenders? And what is this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darn tail light fell off today? Also, what's up with my fenders? And what is this?

I get to work and notice my tail light is hanging off my truck by the wires. No screws holding it in from the side, and the little plastic clips on the other side finally gave out. I can't imagine the screws backed themselves out. Previous owner either left the **** things out, or wasn't capable of tightening them down. I pulled the assembly off and stuck it in my truck.

P.S. Thank you Dodge for DINGING every time I step on the brakes now, until I put the light back on. I'm full aware of it!

Also I noticed on my fenders, one has a hole, one doesn't. Is it that way normally or did someone add something?

Notice the second hole?

Also, what's the deal with this thing? Obviously not factory.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
That hole is for the wheel well liner... you can stick a screw in it.

That other think looks like a DIY fuel pump and extra filter... don't look too good, either...
Old 05-07-2010, 06:43 PM

Yeah I am not a fan of that one hose with the bolt stuck in to cap it off.

There's one other hose coming off that's just hanging going to nothing. I don't know if it's a vent or what it is. I didn't look close enough to see if they were marine-rated lines or not, but I am going to replace them anyways to make sure.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:03 PM

I had a setup like that for a 95 gallon Aux fuel tank on my old truck.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:03 PM

I'm wondering on that second picture of the fender with the missing hole, you might check if body work was done. The other side looks like the same factory hole I have. Can't see a reason why one would be missing.

Better change that fuel filter ASAP. Looks pretty old.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Aux tank, I hadn't thought of that. Yep going to change out the filters on it!

I'm wondering the same thing with the fender, why only one side has that hole. If anyone thinks about it while they are outside, check out your trucks and let me know what you see.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:24 AM

I'd bet that it was a work truck in it's former life and they just ripped all their aftermarket stuff off and didn't care about how they put it back together. There's no way those taillight screws would back out on their own. Someone just didn't put them back in...
Good luck Dave and I hope you don't find anymore hidden issues.

My truck had super low miles when I got it and I wanted it so bad that I paid no attention to how absolutely filthy it was inside. After I got it home I realized it had been a farm truck and when you turned the heat on it had a strong smell of dirt coming out of the vents. It took a lot of Febreze being sprayed in the vents to kill that and eventually it went away. Luckily for me that has been the only real problem I have encountered with mine other than having to spend a lot of time cleaning the coating of dust/dirt in all the hidden spots in the cab...
Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 AM

Both pics of the fender wells look correct. One looks like the front and the other is of the rear. I could be wrong. The filter looks narly and needs cleaning up. I will be installing one on my truck but it will be in the front fender well.