3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cylinder assist steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K sorry let meknow if you can see everything in these pics
Attached Thumbnails Cylinder assist steering-p1010851.jpg   Cylinder assist steering-p1010852.jpg   Cylinder assist steering-p1010853.jpg  
Old 08-06-2007, 08:44 PM

2 more of the front end
Attached Thumbnails Cylinder assist steering-p1010854.jpg   Cylinder assist steering-p1010855.jpg  
Old 08-06-2007, 09:17 PM

yeah, those help. the pics are a little dark, but it doesnt appear that the angles are so far out of alignement that it would cause bumpsteer. Do you have an angle finder? if so, run a piece of string between center of bolts for the track and drag, and measure the angles. You havent altered your lengths much if at all, so if anything its got to be the angle. if its not that, I would think one of the track bar bolts is loose or bushings is shot. it really shouldnt be the gear box, unless its a fualty unit.

what size tire are you running? I hate to ask, but are you sure its bump steer?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 PM

The angles are off ever so slightly, but I don't think its enough to cause bumpsteer. I'd say your problem lies elsewhere. I don't like drop pitman arms and drop brackets for track bars, but your track bar drop bracket appears to be solid enough. I still think you should start with a sector shaft support of some kind, then re-evaluate. It's a good part to have even if you don't have a problem, so don't feel you wasted money if it doesn't solve all your problems.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by plug ugly
yeah, those help. the pics are a little dark, but it doesnt appear that the angles are so far out of alignement that it would cause bumpsteer. Do you have an angle finder? if so, run a piece of string between center of bolts for the track and drag, and measure the angles. You havent altered your lengths much if at all, so if anything its got to be the angle. if its not that, I would think one of the track bar bolts is loose or bushings is shot. it really shouldnt be the gear box, unless its a fualty unit.

The arm that comes out of the gear box that the pitman arm attaches to moves in and out when you pry up on it with a pry bar with minimal strength.

According to the Dodge tech he said the left inner tie rod was out and there was minimal play in the gear box. I actually put a set of stocks on to see if there was any difference and I was getting sever death wobble so what Im feeling with my 20's on might be death wobble but it just cant shake the wheels off the ground. The tire Im running is a 305/55/20 nothing to extreme.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
The angles are off ever so slightly, but I don't think its enough to cause bumpsteer. I'd say your problem lies elsewhere. I don't like drop pitman arms and drop brackets for track bars, but your track bar drop bracket appears to be solid enough. I still think you should start with a sector shaft support of some kind, then re-evaluate. It's a good part to have even if you don't have a problem, so don't feel you wasted money if it doesn't solve all your problems.
Pauly I already sent my new gear box to get the cylinder assist steering I sent it out last week so it should be here the first of next week.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

Is hydraulic assist legal to run on the road? If you have state inspections in your area it could be a problem.

I agree that it won't fix your problem, just maybe hide it. Hydraulic assist is usually only used with big tires and lockers that will bind in a lot of slow moving off-road situations. It definitely won't fix the bump steer or other high speed issues. It could actually make it worse because when you use the stock power steering pump there is usually a very slight delay when you try to turn the wheel quickly (ie. it binds for a split second). This is because the power steering pump is running double duty, which it wasn't designed to do.

I would do as the others suggested and try to fix the problem first. With your size lift you should work on correcting the steering geometry and bracing the system. Crossover steering is probably the answer to your problems. That and a sector shaft brace would be the first things I try.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 AM

I agree, it looks close enough.
What is your problem when driving?
Do you hit a bump then all the sudden change lanes?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Is hydraulic assist legal to run on the road?

Assist is usually legal, but full hydraulic steering is a no no.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 2006 MEGACAB
I actually put a set of stocks on to see if there was any difference and I was getting sever death wobble so what Im feeling with my 20's on might be death wobble but it just cant shake the wheels off the ground. The tire Im running is a 305/55/20 nothing to extreme.
I think I might take it to another 4 wheel drive shop here today to get his opinion. He is a Jeep guy so dont know if he will have much to say.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by 2006 MEGACAB
I think I might take it to another 4 wheel drive shop here today to get his opinion. He is a Jeep guy so dont know if he will have much to say.

It's worth a shot. Theoretically, our trucks are the same as the jeep, just bigger.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
It's worth a shot. Theoretically, our trucks are the same as the jeep, just bigger.

Good luck!
I got an appointment tomorrow am but Im leaning more toward the death woble it just feels different with the bigger rims and tires
Old 08-07-2007, 12:36 PM

what kind of mileage do you have? perhaps the wheel bearings are shot, or ball joints.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:28 PM

what kind of mileage do you have? perhaps the wheel bearings are shot, or ball joints.
32,000 miles
Old 08-07-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love that kore steering clamp..I was thinking you fox shock shrader valve was looking kinda exposed... can you flip it up???
hydro assist is legal..and I think it would help a ton if you had it set up for on-road more then off???
but in the end it all about flat parallel steering links..but yours don't look way off so who knows

Quick Reply: Cylinder assist steering