3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

CTD newbie w/ some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTD newbie w/ some questions

Hi folks. I've been reading here for awhile to learn as much as possible before I start asking questions. First off, we love our new ride. We used to pull our Jeep/trailer w/ a 5.9 (gas) Durango, now our 3500. What took us so long to get a FS truck??? I don't know, just slow I guess. With all the extra power, we aren't looking to mod it up too much (right now), just add some nice touches here and there. Does anyone have the Mopar Hard Tonneau Cover #82207005? We are also looking at a Fold-A-Cover. Any thoughts? I still can't decide on whether to get separate guages or a monitor. Some of you think guages aren't req'd until you start the engine mods, others think at least a tranny temp guage at a minimum. (We will be pulling a single Jeep on a 2200lb trailer most of the time, and a gooseneck w/2 Jeeps a couple times this year.) I am leaning toward a monitor because of the compactness. Besides the EGT sensor, do the rest of guage sensors/pickups generally plug into the factory harness?

Sorry for the length of the post, I appreciate and enjoy reading everyone's insights!
Old 05-18-2006, 04:16 PM

Welcome to the site, I am in the same situation as you on wanting gauges. I believe I am going to wait for the new quadzilla commander, as it can work as stand alone gauges or it can control a lot of different performance boxes. On the egt you have to drill into the manifold, trans you have to either put it in a test port and put the probe in the hotline of the trans. I believe on these new trucks boost can be read through the map sensor. But I could be wrong. Anyway congrants on the new truck....
Old 05-18-2006, 09:56 PM

I've got the Fold-A-Cover and love it. As far as gauges I went with BD X-monitor Digital gauges. If you look at my web site you can see all of the goodies.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hauling the weight you are refering to, no gauges are necessary. But, if you plan on adding a programmer, I would add gauges so you can monitor tranny temps and EGT's. Can not help you with the cover, as I have always felt that adding a cover takes the purpose of having a truck away. Until they make one that rolls up (like the Roll N Lock) AND is water proof 100%, I will get one. But until that day comes, my bed is to shine on to. Have my wife's Jeep if I need someting covered
Old 05-19-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your new truck. I was there also on gauges or a monitor. I went with gauges, trans & pyro. The reason was they were totally independent from any electrical on the truck and I would know where the sensors are monitoring at. The pyro helps mostly for shut down, I have been using 350 deg F. The transsion gauge will most likely help in town pulling . The transmission obviously slips the most in town. So far it's been great, my boat is in the range of #5500-#6000 lbs. Pulled it in and around town some. Temps were as expected. pyro 700-900 & transmission 160 or so . I am verry happy with my gauges. The worst part is drilling the manifold for the pyro, brand new truck and making holes .The comander monitor looked real good also, just personally did'nt want it, just my $ 0.02 .
Old 05-20-2006, 12:23 AM

I'm pretty happy with my Extang full-tilt cover. Roll it up when it's in the way, tip up for easy loading, or take it off completely in less than a minute. Best of all worlds from my point of view. Still thinking about gages.