3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cruise Control Surging (programmer related)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
haulin-rv, you traded in the d-max for a cummins?? i've seen you over on the diesel place site, when i check out that site from time to time.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Never had any surge with mine with a box or not.... I don't use the cruise while towing. I tried it once and going down a small hill it was gaining speed. The darn thing downshifted to 3rd trying to slow down and like to scared the crap out of me so no more cruise while towing.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
many people report the surging problem with the latest dodge re-flash and it becomes noticeable with the increased fueling of a programmer. from talking to some diesel techs, they say it is in the dodge program itself. that said, the surge is reported most and worst by superchips flashpaq owners- why? ask superchips.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:19 PM

Update: Well after re-programming to stock then back to performance, I took it out on the freeway and it seems fine now...

Maybe it's altitude or temp related? This started when I left Colorado (my start point 6800' and it was 5 degrees out when programmed), and only showed up on the "performance tune", the tow tune did not produce the surge. I then changed the program in New Mexico after it was getting annoying as heck, back to tow and it was good to go. Now I am here in Apache Junction, AZ and it drives fine in cruise on the performance setting.

I will still call Superchips and see what they say and update as well.

FWIW: I tried the search function here first and came up empty handed, so maybe this will be a refresher for those new to this problem. I know how sometimes repeat questions can be annoying.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2007, 04:40 AM

Eaither on this site or TDR the cruise surge with a fueling box was discussed many many moons ago.Mine suges some with a Quad box on the 60H.P. and worse on the 100H.P. setting.The fuel feed is a LOT more touchey then stock.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:23 AM

I have the "volumizer" chip. It has three settings, 0, +40hp, +60more hp. Only does it on the top setting which I never use anyway. On 0 or +40hp I can pull my fifth wheel and never feel any surge. Of course when I first got the chip I wanted to try it out, the surge was awful. I only use the high setting for passing.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:32 AM

No surge with Smarty Jr. for me.

Economy setting will break the rear tires loose at 65 on wet roads when cruise is set. Certainly wakes you up abit more when you realize the rear is getting loose.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by SalukiATO
No surge with Smarty Jr. for me.

Economy setting will break the rear tires loose at 65 on wet roads when cruise is set. Certainly wakes you up abit more when you realize the rear is getting loose.
it could be that your truck will not suffer from surge with any programmer, or it could be that with the jr., since the timing curve is re-written, corrects the surge. i would like to hear from someone who had the surge with a tuner, that did not get it with smarty or jr.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Mine is still stock and it sueges only when I have the cruise on at slow speeds, and level ground or downhill, like 65 and lower, anything faster it's fine. I got used to it , so I just don't use it at the slower speeds for long periond of time. It's almost as if the cruise control can't manage only giving it a tiny bit of fuel to maintain a slow speed.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by iaddiesel
Mine is still stock and it sueges only when I have the cruise on at slow speeds, and level ground or downhill, like 65 and lower, anything faster it's fine. I got used to it , so I just don't use it at the slower speeds for long periond of time. It's almost as if the cruise control can't manage only giving it a tiny bit of fuel to maintain a slow speed.
i don't think that's the problem because many people can get the surge at slower speeds without using the cruise control.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:31 PM

After resetting back to stock, then back to Performance, the surge is gone. It also reset my turn signal flash back to normal. I was also having a hard time getting the tire size set, and that work fine as well.

My trip back home here to Colorado was awsome with the programmer set to the performance level. Got some kick but passing power, thats for sure!