3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cruise Control fix, vac. question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control fix, vac. question

Thanks to this website, I had saved a trip from going to the dealership. Just recently I had the TSB completed on my air conditioning/defrost vent door. I guess when the dealership worked on it they must have disconnected the vac. line from the vac. pump. The reason i knew that was happening is becasue the cruise control would not work on a little trip I took with my daughter this morning. First chance I got to check out on a search for a fix for my cruise control I saw to check my vac. and the line to make sure there were no leaks and the sort. Then I found the line disconnected from the pump. What this is sort of leading to is where does the line go that is about half way on the fire wall that branches off of the vac line and heads in a downward direction? I am only curious because the vac line had no vac on it for almost two weeks and I am wondering if it is something I should be concerned about and at least get it documented at the dealership.

Again thanks to this website, I saved my self some heart ache and pain by fixing a simple thing on my truck that would have been at least a couple day event if it wasn't for the great information I read here.

Thom
Old 08-27-2005, 06:16 PM

we have a vacuum pump on our trucks???

for what? vent controls? cruise control for auto trans velicles???
Old 08-27-2005, 08:05 PM

The 2003-2004 trucks with automatic transmissions and cruse controls have an electric vaccum pump because the cruse control is done by an vaccum operated servo motor.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:37 AM

The pump is located on the passenger side, in between the battery and the firewall. I got a chance to try it out last night and the cruise works like it should. I think the system for the cruise control is just asking for trouble. With the vac. line ran across the top of the engine bay and being as tight as it is, there is no give on the line. if something happens to catch it, there is a good chance that it would puncture of even tear.

I am still curious on where the other line goes that branches off from the vacuum line.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:25 AM

There is a small tank that the tee goes to, this helps buffer the vaccum and keeps the pump from having to run all the time.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:25 PM

Artie04,
That makes sense, thanks for the info.