3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cracked driver side window 06 Mega

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My window cracked yesterday. Can anyone recommend a dealership in the Albuquerque area?
Thanks Wayne
Old 12-18-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
rolled mine up a few inches yesterday, looked at the laminate joint. pretty thick window.

how quieter are the laminated windows than regular?

seems like a good bit, when i roll my window down at a drive thru, it's like "Whoa, this thing is loud"

with my 04, it was like riding a bushhog - you heard every mechanical noise

second Q? is this - what is purpose of laminated glass (supposing only for quietness) if they doors & firewall aren't dynamat'ed?

seems like you would get more noise thru the body than the windows.

and wind noise around the A pillar is still VERY loud.

back on topic: seems like not much gain for lot of warranty work.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:19 AM

Just had my second window go on my 07....first drivers side ...now passenger side. This is gonna get tiresome real fast

================================================== ========

2007 3500 slt quad 4X4 long box 6 speed jake brake bright white
tows 36 ft montana 5th
Old 12-19-2006, 11:49 AM

Has anyone had thier window replaced and it happen again to the replacement? Or is the window and hardware being replaced with something different to prevent the cracking?
Wayne
Old 12-19-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Boris-MC1
Has anyone had thier window replaced and it happen again to the replacement? Or is the window and hardware being replaced with something different to prevent the cracking?
Wayne
do not know if glass different, but they changed no hardware on mine...glass only

================================================== ========

2007 3500 slt quad 4X4 long box 6 speed jake brake bright white
tows 36 ft montana 5th
Old 12-20-2006, 11:43 AM

I am currently trying to get the window repaired from a reputable dealership in Albuquerque (ZD) They want me back today for more pictures to send to DC. The service writer advises me that this is the first he has had a window crack in for warrenty repair. I am goig to print this thread and bring it with me for some support. Thanks everyone, Wayne
Old 01-03-2007, 08:44 AM

Had my passenger side window replaced by a dealer in McAllen TX. Was pleasantly surprised to note that they replaced it with a tempered glass rather than laminated. I asked if dodge was going back to tempered because of probs. They said that they didn't know and had simply ordered the glass useing the truck's serial number. On checking the computer for parts, both tempered and laminated are shown as available. I'm gonna get after my dealer to put tempered in the driver's side to replace the laminated they put in when that side cracked. Lost both windows in 1st 3 months of trucks life so don't want it happening 8 days after the warranty ends
================================================== =======

2007 3500 4X4 quad long box 6 speed jake brake bright white
Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 AM

This makes me nervous. My plan was to sell my 03 quad cab and buy the new mega cab with 6.7. No window problem with the 03. Does it seem to be a 06 issue or mega cab issue ?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:49 PM
HOV

Originally Posted by skyking
This makes me nervous. My plan was to sell my 03 quad cab and buy the new mega cab with 6.7. No window problem with the 03. Does it seem to be a 06 issue or mega cab issue ?
I have a feeling this is a problem that affects a VERY small minority of the Megacab owners, and is somewhat amplified over the 'net because it attracts those who have similar problems... so it looks like everyone has the problem.

If you want the truck, just get it.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:57 PM

From what I know, they started putting laminated glass in tho 06's. If you look at edge of tempered glass it is one thick piece of glass. The laminated stuff is 2 very thin sheets of glass glued to either side of a sheet of plastic. The 2 windows I lost were a result of the thin ouside layer of glass cracking.
My advice would be buy the truck and enjoy it, but...if you have the misfortune of loosing a window make sure you get is replaced with tempered glass.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++=

2007 3500 srw slt quad cab 4X4 long box jake brake bright white
Old 02-02-2007, 06:39 PM

I remembered this thread as soon as I saw that little crack starting. My driver side window has a 3/4" crack in the outer glass. I hope the dealer takes care of it.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullet06
Jphii- thats all we can do is call, call and complain!
So I just completed my phone call with Chrysler's Customer Service regarding the crack in my driver's window. As I did not elect to choose the extended warranty and my 2006 Mega Cab has 42,000 miles, they really did not want to make any concessions.

The agent I spoke to (Lynn) was the most combative customer service rep I have ever had the misfortune of having to talk to. And I was as respectful, courteous and polite as I know to be. Perhaps she was having a bad day, or maybe she is just weary of hearing of window issues.

She offered to cover 50% of the repair.
I stated that I would be more pleased with 100%.

She then stated "How about I say your truck is out of warranty!"
I then asked why are the windows cracking on a 16 month old truck in Texas?

She stated impact damage.
I informed that there is no impact damage and she is welcome to inspect the window. Or you can just google the phrase "Mega Cab cracked window".

She informed me that she did not have external email access at work.
I laughed aloud at that one.

When I agreed to the terms, it was then a contest to see if I could notate the address as quickly as she stated it. I guess I passed, all those years taking notes in school finally paid off!

After that conversation I know feel compelled to call about the infamous A/C defroster door. I wonder how this one will go?

Regardless, I still love this truck!! The Cummins is the way to go. As I was quick to put a programmer on the truck, the extended warranty would not have been honored anyhow. I did not count on the rest of the truck having issues so quickly.

Hopefully, I have just covered all the weak points early on and can now look forward to some trouble free years being a Dodge truck owner!
Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 PM

went out this morning and my driver side front glass is all cracked! Anyone have any ideas of how to deal with this through dodge?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 AM

Bringing this old thread back to life after my drivers side window cracked for no reason the other day when I closed it.
Seems like BS to me and I'm obviously not the only one...

Name:  driverswindow.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  182.2 KB