3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cooper Discoverer Owners??? Likes/ Dislikes???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my Cooper Discover M/S studded winter tires, way better traction than my BFG AT's summer tires on the snow and ice. Also one of the few load range E snow tires for our CTD's.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:28 PM

I have the ATR'S. Only 10,000 miles looking great. I have a 50,000 mile warranty will see.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:57 AM

how did i miss this thread.
i love a chance to bash these tires, their crap.
i bought a set from a tire dealer i know quit well.
i went in to buy the BFG's AT's for my S10, 4x4, he told me that these coopers would be way better, and alot less money,and get better milage out of them.so i take his word for it and buy them, after the fact, i did some reasearch on the pricing of both tires and i only really saved myself around 100 bucks said and done.
about a month later the tires are wearing badly, with fresh front end parts and an alinment, i go back to the dealer, and he says that the tire is wearing funny from my bent rear housing, but all tires are doing the same thing.
i wanted my money back and different tires, but his hands were tied. i call Cooper and they told me to get lost and hung up on me.i got about 25,000kms on those tire before they bite the bullet, and traction was poor, ride was poor, just crap. every ones tires did the same thing that i saw and looked for around this area.
i can't imagine what the power and weight of a diesel would do to these tires, let alone a safety issue would be in the back of my mind every time i fired it up to go some where.
just a heads up on poor quilty.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by pullin hard
how did i miss this thread.
i love a chance to bash these tires, their crap.
i bought a set from a tire dealer i know quit well.
i went in to buy the BFG's AT's for my S10, 4x4, he told me that these coopers would be way better, and alot less money,and get better milage out of them.so i take his word for it and buy them, after the fact, i did some reasearch on the pricing of both tires and i only really saved myself around 100 bucks said and done.
about a month later the tires are wearing badly, with fresh front end parts and an alinment, i go back to the dealer, and he says that the tire is wearing funny from my bent rear housing, but all tires are doing the same thing.
i wanted my money back and different tires, but his hands were tied. i call Cooper and they told me to get lost and hung up on me.i got about 25,000kms on those tire before they bite the bullet, and traction was poor, ride was poor, just crap. every ones tires did the same thing that i saw and looked for around this area.
i can't imagine what the power and weight of a diesel would do to these tires, let alone a safety issue would be in the back of my mind every time i fired it up to go some where.
just a heads up on poor quilty.

OK. Which tread style did you have? Seems like those that have the S/T's are liking them. I'm currently away from home and up North of Edmonton, I'm noticing more folks are running the S/T's at this point in time. Everday I notice more trucks sporting these tires.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:50 PM

I had cooper discoverer m/s 235 80 17 on last winter. I only got 32,000 miles out of them but I haul very heavy and used them into summer waiting for my discoverer s/t 's. I also ran too much air in them to float the heavy weight. Run the m/s at 65psi and you'll get 50 k out of them no problem. I have 4 265 70 17's on the outside and 235 80 17 on the inside rears I put 25,000 miles on the 265's so far and am at 14/32 tread depth down from around 19/32 new. I'm still hauling heavy and they seem to last really well They are louder than some tires but acceptable. They balanced ok to start and when I rotated I checked balance and they were all ok. I'm set to rotate next week and I'll check balance again. Awesome traction everywhere. I found the 235's narrower than stock so I went with 265's which are way wider than other 265's. If they had 255 85 17's I'd be in heaven tire wise. ks
Old 09-17-2005, 09:52 PM

I installed 235/80r17 S/Ts about 5000km ago and seem to be alright, some howl out of them, compared to the bfg muds on my 97, but overall fine so far, look safe on ice, and should do all right in the Alta north this winter
Old 09-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Chapter President

This is a great topic. I need new rubber and was looking at the Cooper Discovery ST's and the Mastercraft Courser CT's. Aren't they the same company? The Mastercrafts look a lot like the BFG AT's. The Mastercrafts look a little more aggressive. What's the difference between the two? I know someone on here and TDR mentioned the Mastercrafts before (Ghostrider maybe?). I wonder how they are holding up?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:06 AM

I have about 40,000 on my Discoverer ATs, and still have life left. The shop I bought from says they expect 65,000 out of them for the kind of driving I do. Not sure I will make that, but I drive lots of curvy secondary highway and a fair bit of steep gravel logging roads. I ran Toyo M55s on previous trucks with great success (success=few flats!), but they don't come in the 17" size. They only got 35-40,000 miles. The Coopers have very good traction. You get a bit of whine out of them on the highway, but I haven't run a traction tire yet that didn't. And as much rain as we get here in western Oregon, they seem to do a really good job of dispersing road water. On our curvy secondary highways, I'd know it if they were hydro-planing!
Old 09-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Chapter President

Anyone compare the Cooper's ST to the Mastercraft Courser? I know they are the same company but the tires have some differences. Any experience out there?