3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cool little anti-theft thing i found out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Sevir
There is a post on here that someone had their truck warming up in the morn and went outside to go to work and their truck was gone. This scared the hay out of me, because I do the same thing. I tried something out here. My 04.5 keyless entry will works while the truck is running! I put a small magnet under the steering column with double stick tape and thats where i leave my key at now. So the only thing i have to do is unlock my truck, grab the key from under the steering column and start my truck then lock it. Neet little feature and keeps people from driving off while its warming up.
I was the one who posted concerning my friends the stolen '03 CTD. FYI - I'd recommend against leaving the key in the vehicle (runnning or not) and locking the doors. It's easy to break a window, hop in, and drive off.

Prior to my friend having his CTD stolen, I occasionally left my keys in the ignition and locked my doors with the "keyless entry remote" (when cold) - ... no longer will I do that.

Quick story - My house was robbed twice last year right before Christmas (ho ho ho! Someone had a merry Christmas).

1st Robbery - I left the door unlocked. Total cost of the break = stolen electronics. The cops said to me in no uncertian terms "lock your doors"..."it's not a good idea to leave the doors unlocked"... etc.

...two weeks pass...

2nd robbery - All doors and windows were locked. Total cost of the robbery = stolen electronics + two busted up doors (BTW - I replaced the doors, @ a cost of ~ $300.00 + my time/labor in cold weather)

The second robery cost me far more than the first in $$ and certianly in time. The time lost was the killer, the electronics we had sucked anyway (except for the brand new desktop computer).

Lesson #1: If a theif wants it, they will take it - even in broad daylight, from your house or from in front of your house.

Lesson #2: - The most important lesson - Make your place and your vehicle the LEAST attractive option. If your vehicle is running and locked it is more attractive than the one not running and locked. Yours will get stolen.

Be careful with your stuff.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:55 PM
JSX

In our town, it is against the law to let your rig sit unattended to warm up. $101 fine.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:19 PM

First post in a couple years...

There was a guy selling turbo-cool-down timers here.

I bought one, installed it and it has worked flawlesly for two years. (If you don't count the double-sided tape quest!)

The cool thing is you can jump in, start your rig, set the timer for the max and then leave, taking the keys with you. If anybody popped the window and jumped in, as soon as they released the brake or it went into gear, they would be SOL.

I don't know if the guy is still around. Just returned here myself.

Good luck!

-ed
Old 12-21-2005, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Falcon1
I use a 357 Smith&Wesson and watch my truck.

I use similar theft deterent, but mine is Ruger and Llamma, and if they get out of pistol range Ive got a couple deer rifles for long range range protection.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EdsGarage
There was a guy selling turbo-cool-down timers here.

I bought one, installed it and it has worked flawlesly for two years. (If you don't count the double-sided tape quest!)

The cool thing is you can jump in, start your rig, set the timer for the max and then leave, taking the keys with you. If anybody popped the window and jumped in, as soon as they released the brake or it went into gear, they would be SOL.

I don't know if the guy is still around. Just returned here myself.

Good luck!

-ed
Yep, that's exactly what I was saying in my previous post. The link is in my previous post to Baker Auto Supply. Here it is again. http://www.thebritebox.com/DTLS.main.page.html
Old 12-22-2005, 12:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JSX
In our town, it is against the law to let your rig sit unattended to warm up. $101 fine.
That is stupid! Why $101? Couldn't they just make it a flat $100? It's like they are just doing it to taunt you...
So do you get ticketed if you leave the vehicle running while you run inside a gas station and buy something? What if you are hooking up a trailer, back up and then realize you forgot your hitch in the shop... could you run back and get it, or would you be arrested for leaving the truck running?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:00 AM

That is the sweet thing about WV. In wood county you can get a concealed cary permit for a pistol as long as, you have the cash (250 clams or so), can fire a weapon, and do not have a felony.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Heater
That is the sweet thing about WV. In wood county you can get a concealed cary permit for a pistol as long as, you have the cash (250 clams or so), can fire a weapon, and do not have a felony.
Same here in Arkansas. You wouldn't believe some of the people that carry guns because they meet the criteria. An old man (75 or 80) that lives a couple houses up from me carries a .45. I saw him shoot it at the range and the poor guy shakes so bad, I don't know how he can hold that gun up. It's a full size .45, larger than the normal 1911 series. I guess he pulls the trigger in between shakes.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by topless
I use the remote starter. Itt leaves the doors locked, and if you touch a pedal without the key-on, it dies and won't restart. That way I know it will be there, even in a shopping mall.

Same here. No key in it. Can't take it. My buddy does the same. Got his window busted out while it was running. Heard the window break outside his house. By the time he got to the door the truck had quit and the guy was trying to figure out why. He got away unforunatley. But I'd much rather have to replace a window than a whole truck.