3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cool little anti-theft thing i found out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool little anti-theft thing i found out.

There is a post on here that someone had their truck warming up in the morn and went outside to go to work and their truck was gone. This scared the hay out of me, because I do the same thing. I tried something out here. My 04.5 keyless entry will works while the truck is running! I put a small magnet under the steering column with double stick tape and thats where i leave my key at now. So the only thing i have to do is unlock my truck, grab the key from under the steering column and start my truck then lock it. Neet little feature and keeps people from driving off while its warming up.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:02 AM

Talking Works on the 2003 also

I have done this on mine. Start the truck and lock the doors with the keyless, come back unlock with the keyless and get in, drive away. I have a quick release on the key chain makes it easy.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by JAXFL1
I have done this on mine. Start the truck and lock the doors with the keyless, come back unlock with the keyless and get in, drive away. I have a quick release on the key chain makes it easy.
Same as what I do.
I have to lock the doors while inside, get out and push the driver button down and it will not let me lock with the remote when running.
Scotty
Old 12-19-2005, 11:04 AM

I use the remote starter. Itt leaves the doors locked, and if you touch a pedal without the key-on, it dies and won't restart. That way I know it will be there, even in a shopping mall.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:38 PM

I installed a switch that runs power to the pcm. I installed a relay so if the clutch is depressed the engine quits. No key in the ign, truck running. But I didn't put power to the A/C. A poor man's turbo timer kinda.....
Cost me 5 bucks in parts.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:14 PM

Yeah, but...
Do you know how easy it is to get into a running/locked up Dodge truck with a screwdriver? About .2 seconds!

Friend of mine living in an apartment complex found that out the hard way!
Came out, started and scraped off truck, locked it up running, went back inside to get travel mug and briefcase, came back out about 2 minutes later and the truck was gone! Police happened to recover it 3 days later, and the door handle had been jimmied with a screwdriver. The truck was also used in a convience store armed robbery, then abandoned.

The computer coded keys are supposed to prevent hot-wiring, but THAT doesn't work when the key is in the ingition...
Old 12-19-2005, 03:29 PM

I use a 357 Smith&Wesson and watch my truck.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new diesel turbo lifesaver has a pretty sweet security function. You can use it to let the truck warm up and if somebody was to get in, whether the door is locked or not, if they release the e-brake and put it in gear, the unit dies and the truck cannot be restarted without the key. I do not have this unit yet but plan on getting it. The guy that I called and talked to is super, super nice and knowledgeable. I ordered the brite boxes with fogzilla for my headlights and he hooked me up with a slave wire to turn on my KC's with the high beam at no charge.
You can also use the DTLS to pre-lube your engine after it has been sitting for a long time! You can disable the engine and then turn the key to get the oil flowing before it ever starts. Pretty sweet!

http://www.thebritebox.com/
Old 12-19-2005, 06:40 PM

Most car burglars carry a well kept secret with them. A pocket full of broken porcelain pieces taken from the ends of spark plugs. Simply throw a chip at the door window or rear window and it shatters almost soundlessly. Then it takes about 1/10th of a second to open the door and it becomes theirs.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Banned

Not with the DTLS.

Of course, any thief will get what they want if they want it bad enough. I think the only way to steal a truck with the DTLS would be to hook it up to another truck and drag it off, or winch it up on a trailer and drive off.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rico334
Most car burglars carry a well kept secret with them. A pocket full of broken porcelain pieces taken from the ends of spark plugs. Simply throw a chip at the door window or rear window and it shatters almost soundlessly. Then it takes about 1/10th of a second to open the door and it becomes theirs.
Happened to my truck twice last year while attending races at Phoenix and Vegas. Needless to say I pretty much camp at the track now.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:31 PM

Most thieves know that tow trucks don't have transponder keys or alarms. I learned when I was installing alarms and stereos in Boston they just tow the car away if they want it.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by JAXFL1

Same here, quick release
Old 12-20-2005, 03:55 PM

I use the spare key to start it too. And sometimes I'll slip the 4wd lever into neutral. I have t-handle shifters with no numbers on them.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:18 PM

Talking Right to Carry State;Wash.

Originally Posted by Falcon1
I use a 357 Smith&Wesson and watch my truck.
This method works best, but some states don't allow their peons to carry a gun. Funny how crime drops when people have guns and the crooks know it.

Quick Reply: Cool little anti-theft thing i found out.