3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Considering Buying a New Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering Buying a New Dodge

I am considering buying a new Dodge/Cummins but have a few questions that you folks could help me with. I would much appreciate your comments.
1. Is the Laramie package worth the cost? That is, do you like the options that come with it and does it hold its resale value as well as an SLT?
2. Is the automatic transmission sturdy enough to handle a heavy fifth-wheel trailer (12,000 lbs) or should I get the 6-speed? (I prefer the automatic but only if the new model will hold up)
3. Is the navigation system easy to use and is it helpful while travelling?
4. Is the Dodge body well built? How does it hold up after 50,000 to 100,000 miles? That is, does it rattle or require a lot of maintenance?
5. Is the drive train easy to maintain? I do most of my own maintenance.
6. Are the Dodge service departments at least as good as other brands? (My experience is that it varies all over the map, but I hope in general Dodge is as good, or better, than the others.)
7. Would a 2500 model be capable of handling a 12,000 fifth-wheel trailer (2,500 lb. pin weight) or should I buy a 3500?

I would truly appreciate input on the above questions or any other advice you may have in helping me to make a decision.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:53 PM

1. There are two laramie packages. one doesnt have dual zone climate control and heated seats. i think if you get leather, heated seats are a must. Yes the options that come with the laramie are outstanding

2. Yes it will handle it. The 6 speed will of course handle it better, but the auto will do fine.

3. ive heard good and bad about the navigation system. some say its useless, some say its awesome.

4. 80,000 on our 03 CTD. its a black truck, and the paint is looking like day one. There are no rattles, except the front end where the mighty cummins is.

5. Cant help you there. we havent had maintenance on ours

6. Depends on the dealer. my service department is awesome. they dont void the warranty when you add a box, and they let you go back and watch your truck get worked on. Some dealers are retards about everything

7. Get a 3500. i think 2500's are rated for at max like 2000lbs. a 3500 will hold the pin weight much better

if you are going to tow a lot, get 4.10 gears. Unloaded mileage will hurt, but 410's are perfect for towing a trailer
Old 10-24-2004, 05:16 PM

Needs to be a 3500. If you go with a six speed 3.73 rear will work out well. Oem nav systems are way overpriced, and not sure how easy and how often software upgrades are. Probably better off to go aftermarket, some great systems avail, and gives you portability to use in other vehicles.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:41 PM

I might would consider a duramax!!
Old 10-25-2004, 06:47 AM

Consider the Duramax and PowerStroke by all means... Then go do what you should have done in the first place.

Dodge bodies made a quantum leap in '94 and haven't looked back. Combine the features of the newest bodies and the ONLY INDUSTRIAL engine in class and I think you may just see the light.

Are there still problems? ... The only truthful answer is that there are. Just as everyone else has some problems, so does Dodge. My '04.5 had a heater box that didn't work correctly, but the problem was corrected and the truck has been wonderful past that.

Read about some cabin "smells". I, myself, have had no experience with exhaust smells from my own truck but I can guarantee I'll get a whiff of rotten eggs from the gasser in front of me when he's working hard. My guess is that airstream and intake have combined to somehow "snoop" those odours.

Driveline buzz... Not in my truck.

Dealers and service... Weak points for all light truck diesels in my opinion. Too few problems for techs to become really good. Too many folks who won't take their problems on to a higher level.
Too many dealers who wouldn't know the difference between a good running diesel and a sick one.

Economy... Just returned from 400 milers of rural roads, stop & go, two-lane highways, and a bit of city here and there. Turned in 19.5 mpg on the overhead and it's pretty accurate.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:16 AM

Excellent post, Nord.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the great input. One thing I have noticed about Dodge owners, they are mostly satisfied with their truck. Thats says a lot about Dodge and Cummins. I would appreciate any further pros and cons that you may have to offer. It is a major decision buying a truck as expensive as they are today. Thanks again!!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Banned

My 6.0L went through 3 trans, 6 EGR, 3 or 5 EMP whatever its called sensors, Leaky rear main, blowing coolant, white smoke, blown headgasket, and still nothing was fixed sold it and got the cummins and will never look back. Oh yeah that was a 04 F250 had it for 10 months and got rid of it. I think i'll stick with the Cummins only motor that is truely TRIED AND TRUE that I have come across.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:24 PM

I've had my 2004.5 2500 for 3 months now and have no complaints. Tows well, great mileage, tight truck. I looked at F250 as Chevy and GMC were not an option and decided on the Ram after weighing complaints on the Ford site against complaints here, (which we don't complain too much and most stuff is minor).
When the Ford guys started telling me not to buy a Powerstroke made between these dates and that Ford is now loosing the Powerstroke it made my decision that much easier. My main draw to the Ford was body styling and a slightly larger rear cab which I realise now were non-issues.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:56 PM

I still have my 02 2500 alli/max. I am going to trade it in soon for a 04.5 2500 SLT. I really liked my truck but after going through a 2nd set of LB7 injectors in less than 30k miles it's time to trade up.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Is the Laramie package worth the cost? That is, do you like the options that come with it and does it hold its resale value as well as an SLT?

Don't know about resale yet. I liked the options. Since this is my daily driver, I wanted it to be as close to a car as possible (creature comforts-wise).

2. Is the automatic transmission sturdy enough to handle a heavy fifth-wheel trailer (12,000 lbs) or should I get the 6-speed? (I prefer the automatic but only if the new model will hold up)

Auto has been fine for me. I have pulled my 10k lb fiver twice and no problems. If it's gonna fail, it'll likely do so within the first 70K miles on their dime. If after that . . . well, I guess I will have gotten my money's worth anyway and will have an excuse to go aftermarket.

I considered it but read too many negatives on the RB4. Instead, I downgraded the standard Laramie 6-disk indash unit to a CD/CASS with the Infinity sound for a credit of $179. I'll put that toward an upgrade to an RB1 or Pioneer AVIC-N1.

4. Is the Dodge body well built? How does it hold up after 50,000 to 100,000 miles? That is, does it rattle or require a lot of maintenance?

Not yet in 7800 miles.

Wouldn't know. I will say the engine compartment is uncluttered and everything appears accessible.

6. Are the Dodge service departments at least as good as other brands? (My experience is that it varies all over the map, but I hope in general Dodge is as good, or better, than the others.)

Probably no different. Some good, some bad.

7. Would a 2500 model be capable of handling a 12,000 fifth-wheel trailer (2,500 lb. pin weight) or should I buy a 3500?

Absolutely, positively GET A 3500!!!!!

Good luck,
Neil
Old 10-28-2004, 06:43 PM

Thanks for all the great responses. Unfortunately I am still having a tough time making up my mind. I think the Dodge has a lot of great features including the Cummins Engine. The truck looks great and the quad cab meets my requirements perfectly (ie, interior space vs garage space). My biggest hangup is the auto transmission. I wish it had (1) the features of the Allison and Torq Shift (ie, 5 speed and Tow/Haul) and (2) a better reliability record. The 6-speed might be fun for awhile but I am concerned I might get tired of shifting gears in a year or so. Any further comments on the auto vs 6-speed transmissions would be much appreciated.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Considering Buying a New Dodge

Originally posted by burlhall
I am considering buying a new Dodge/Cummins but have a few questions that you folks could help me with. I would much appreciate your comments.

I would truly appreciate input on the above questions or any other advice you may have in helping me to make a decision.
1. woth the cost is kind of a debatable option. I was mad the wife wanted it(laramie h package) but in hindsight it is nice to have ever option. would do it agian I think.

2. If I were towing the 12,000 trailer alot I would get the 6 speed. auto's are never as durable as a manual. It will tow it fine if you are talking every now and then I am sure.

3. navigation is the bomb. save the wife many black eyes from back talking me about directions. ha ha. I reall like it.

5. can't coments yet

5. maintinance is similar but I have read that the rear diff level is overfiled when it runs out the filling hole. this is different form most modles. short story long if you know what you are doing mantinence should be the same. just make sure you verify things

5. All sevice departments can suck. I have mixed reviews. I was told they proably could not re-flash for my tires size. ti would be out of range. Made them try and it was not. I think as long as you are educated through sites like this you can make anyservice department ok just don't expect all of them to know everything as some won't.

6. I would get the 3500 model as it is only and extra $300 or so. just clearance light and different springs.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the great responses. Unfortunately I am still having a tough time making up my mind. I think the Dodge has a lot of great features including the Cummins Engine. The truck looks great and the quad cab meets my requirements perfectly (ie, interior space vs garage space). My biggest hangup is the auto transmission. I wish it had (1) the features of the Allison and Torq Shift (ie, 5 speed and Tow/Haul) and (2) a better reliability record. The 6-speed might be fun for awhile but I am concerned I might get tired of shifting gears in a year or so. Any further comments on the auto vs 6-speed transmissions would be much appreciated.

go read at a bunch of the chevy sites. you proably will not leave with as high of a reguard for the allison. there are plenty of death stories. I was amazed at the amout of dislike. I was looking at the 8.1 chevy with an allison.

I was in you same boat. I don't want a six speed. I don't think there is any auto trannie out there right now that is completely problem free but you do get 70k of waranty for free.

I have come to this conclution. If you know your tranny and install a temp quage and be smart you will probably do okay. I think many of the deaths chevy or dodge are just abuse cases. As long as you know the trannie is "breakable".

the chevy was a replacement tranny more expensive when I looked at the duramaxes.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:21 PM

the dodge has tow/haul mode on it as well.

Quick Reply: Considering Buying a New Dodge