3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Confirmation that day time running lights work

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confirmation that day time running lights work

I asked the tech at the dealership to enable the DTR on my new 07 RAM 2500 after seeing some posts about it here. He was skeptical but hooked up the star scan tool and found a menu (don't know which one, except it wasn't the vehicle preparation menu like it was on my previous 300C) and he turned them on. Only trouble was we didn't actually see them activate so the tech kind of felt I'd sent him on a wild goose chase. The next morning I started the truck in the darkness and noticed the DTR came on as soon as I released the parking brake. I don't think he took the brake off when he was fooling with it so he thought it hadn't worked.

Anyway the DTR works fine and it probably adds a little safety running with them on. I don't understand why Chrysler doesn't enable this by default, seeing as how it's built into the vehicle anyway.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe they're worried about customers complaining about having to replace head lamps more often. Seems like everytime I see a chevy coming down the road toward me, one of the DTR lamps is burned out.

BTW, in Sweden all cars have DTR headlights. Cars sold in Sweden are wired that way, and if you're visiting with a rental from another country you'd better remember to turn yours on everytime you head out on the road.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:25 PM

I think one of the reasons is that in the evening hours it is easy to forget to turn on the lights since the headlights are already lit.

Bob
Old 10-17-2007, 02:52 PM

Mine only come on when it's in gear. Park = off, Neutral = off. Not sure about parking brake ?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by shep1
Mine only come on when it's in gear. Park = off, Neutral = off. Not sure about parking brake ?
Mine's a manual trans so I guess the only way it knows you're parked is from the parking brake.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 AM

In Canada it is law for every vehicle to have them on that is sold new. Has been for some time now. There probably is an argument that the light might burn out faster with DTR on but the two vehicles i've last owned 03 2500, and 06 3500 with 54,000 km i have yet to change out a light. I wasn't sure if i cared to much for it when the law first came out, but i know it has saved my skin a few times, just to see headlights comming at you can make a big difference at times. Well just my .02.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 AM

Oh ya i forgot one thing, on a manual trans the parking brake will shut off the DTR when engaged. Not sure about the auto's.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:57 AM

The parking brake should shut DTR off whether manual or auto tranny. I know when loading for the ferry at Seattle, they want the lights off, so I just put the parking brake on one click.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:20 AM

One thing to be aware of with DTR is that when the turn signal is on,the headlight on that side will go out,also DTR lights run at a reduced voltage ,this helps prevent ealier bulb burn out.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:23 AM

[QUOTE=shep1;1745545]Mine only come on when it's in gear. Park = off, Neutral = off. Not sure about parking brake ?[/QUOTE

My goof. They stay on when in neutral and go off when in park or parking brake is on, Now I have to check the turn signal thing.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:50 AM

I have imported a 93 Ram into Canada and the government wants me to hook up the DRLs to comply with regs. If anybody knows an easy fix for this please let me know...thanks
Old 12-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by termy57
I have imported a 93 Ram into Canada and the government wants me to hook up the DRLs to comply with regs. If anybody knows an easy fix for this please let me know...thanks
If they want you to do this then the 93 Rams sold in Canada must have had DRLs ?... so maybe you need to find one of those in a junkyard and get the parts from that ... whatever they might be. Also I would think the govt might be able to send you in the right direction ... most times if they are forcing you to do something they will be employing someone to help you get there.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:43 PM

You can purchace an aftermarket DTL kit. I don't remember the year, but i installed one for a customer, and had to get an import kit, as it was controlled through the ground. This was installed on a ram by the way.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:51 PM

My Gran Marquis does not have DRL plus(wife REALLY wants them on) there is no way to just 'turn them on' like on a Chrysler.I read a report a few years back that DRL actually caused MORE accidents and thats why here in the US things changed about having to use/have them.Anybody on this forum privey to any insurance studys on the subject?
Old 12-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if you think that DTR's reduce accidents, then you should be in favor of governors- why not limit the speed to 70mph? That alone would unarguably save thousands of lives- unlike the assinine idea that running headlamps during the day is going to make any difference...

The data available from the Candian DTR law shows absolutely no improvements in traffic accident rates. If you can't see an oncoming car in broad daylight- YOU SHOULDNT BE DRIVING!

Quick Reply: Confirmation that day time running lights work