3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cold Weather Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Weather Question

I'm headed up to Quebec next week from down here in the mid atlantic area. I do not have the cold weather kit or a cord for the block heater. Do I need to get this stuff before I go? I'll only be there for one week. I'll just be right across the border from VT/NH not going very far north.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slorocco
I'm headed up to Quebec next week from down here in the mid atlantic area. I do not have the cold weather kit or a cord for the block heater. Do I need to get this stuff before I go? I'll only be there for one week. I'll just be right across the border from VT/NH not going very far north.
yeah, to be on the safe side, you're going to want to plug her in. I don't know what the temps are looking like up there right now, but I'm sure it's nasty...even if it's not, it's better safe than sorry, I say. you might be only spending a week up there, but it only takes ONE night below zero to start gelling diesel fuel and leave you stranded...you know?

Derek
Old 02-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Ok, I just looked up the weather for you in Quebec...right now it is -24, and the HIGH for the next week is -9...you're looking at -20s for a low the whole time you will be up there and who knows for the days after that we can't see a forecast for yet ...better get the kit man.

Derek
Old 02-05-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by derek.mckay
Ok, I just looked up the weather for you in Quebec...right now it is -24, and the HIGH for the next week is -9...you're looking at -20s for a low the whole time you will be up there and who knows for the days after that we can't see a forecast for yet ...better get the kit man.

Derek
Yeah, I guess I should have checked the weather before I asked. It seems kind of self explanatory now doesn't it.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slorocco
Yeah, I guess I should have checked the weather before I asked. It seems kind of self explanatory now doesn't it.
It's all good brother...that's what this website is fer! Have a good time up there...I actually kinda miss acclimate weather and would love to take some time off and head up north. Just make sure you take loads of sweaters, jackets and thermals...perhaps a kerosene heater too. Don't know where' you're stayin or what the commodities are, but frozen water isn't a virtue

Derek
Old 02-05-2007, 10:52 AM

yeah, to be on the safe side, you're going to want to plug her in. I don't know what the temps are looking like up there right now, but I'm sure it's nasty...even if it's not, it's better safe than sorry, I say. you might be only spending a week up there, but it only takes ONE night below zero to start gelling diesel fuel and leave you stranded...you know?

Derek
Your block heater does absolutely nothing for gelling fuel. Just so you know.

But, it still is a good idea to warm up the coolant, therefore the block, therefore your crankcase, therefore your oil, so at least she turn over easier.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Festus
Your block heater does absolutely nothing for gelling fuel. Just so you know.

But, it still is a good idea to warm up the coolant, therefore the block, therefore your crankcase, therefore your oil, so at least she turn over easier.
Didn't imply that plugging the motor in stopped fuel gelling...just that if you plug it in you'll get her to crank MUCH easier in weather that cold...if the block is warm and you can get her to turn over, 99 out of 100 times, it will idle the rest of the system warm...

Derek
Old 02-05-2007, 11:13 AM

Didn't imply that plugging the motor in stopped fuel gelling...just that if you plug it in you'll get her to crank MUCH easier in weather that cold...if the block is warm and you can get her to turn over, 99 out of 100 times, it will idle the rest of the system warm...

Derek

Sorry,I didn't mean to sound like the South end of a horse, facing North, but I didn't want any newbies to get a misconception of any kind. You wouldn't believe what some folks come up with around my neighborhood.

There are some that actually do believe that plugging their vehicle in warms the fuel.

Heck, my neighbor firmly believes that parking his car in his superheated garage on a quarter tank has absolutely nothing to do with why his fuel line froze up two days ago.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Sorry,I didn't mean to sound like the South end of a horse, facing North, but I didn't want any newbies to get a misconception of any kind. You wouldn't believe what some folks come up with around my neighborhood.

There are some that actually do believe that plugging their vehicle in warms the fuel.

Heck, my neighbor firmly believes that parking his car in his superheated garage on a quarter tank has absolutely nothing to do with why his fuel line froze up two days ago.
So, plugging in does not warm up fuel, but if I plug in & engine is warm, should I let it idle for a couple of minutes to warm up fuel, or just drive?

My fuel gelled this morning - it was -5F & I was not plugged in. Truck started right away & I drove 2 miles before it gelled . Would have idleing for 10 minutes before I started driving helped? I want to know as it will be just as cold tonight & I will plug in this time!

BTW I used 911 & it got me going right away even though I did not have a spare filter & put the old/gelled one back in. Should I replace the filter today? I have driven 20 miles since I got it ungelled & all is well.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Hodowanec
So, plugging in does not warm up fuel, but if I plug in & engine is warm, should I let it idle for a couple of minutes to warm up fuel, or just drive?

My fuel gelled this morning - it was -5F & I was not plugged in. Truck started right away & I drove 2 miles before it gelled . Would have idleing for 10 minutes before I started driving helped? I want to know as it will be just as cold tonight & I will plug in this time!

BTW I used 911 & it got me going right away even though I did not have a spare filter & put the old/gelled one back in. Should I replace the filter today? I have driven 20 miles since I got it ungelled & all is well.
I'd let it idle for a few minutes just for the reason that driving a cold engine hard isn't real good for it in itself.

Once the truck is running, then your fuel heater takes over. I wouldn't worry about the filter right at this moment - just keep an eye out for leaks. After running it as long as you did, the warm fuel passing through has taken care of any gelled stuff in the filter.

I see that being from VA, likely your fuel stations are not getting winter blend from the refinery. I would suggest that you super treat your existing fuel with an anti-gel additive and run the truck a little while (1 hr. or so - stop and go driving would be best as it'll slosh around in the tank as well) so your return fuel will mix everything nicely. Also, make sure your coolant tests according to the lower temperatures so it doesn't gel/freeze.

After this is done, and plugging in tonight(just warms up the block for easier cranking), I forsee no issues tomorrow in my crystal ball.

Just remember you'll have to winter blend your own fuel every time when fueling up (as long as colder temp.'s persist) as I doubt your getting it at the fuel stops.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 PM

To be honest, all you really need to panic about is the fuel, do like what festus says, get a good anti gel for your fuel, put it in. Gen49 is a very good antigel, there are others too. To be honest I wouldnt panic about the plug in, I have started my truck many times without being plugged in, in way worse temps then -20. Not on purpose mind you, but things happen. Your truck will start no problem, I wouldnt spend that money if all you are going to be is a week. It will cost you alot of money, worst case scenerio is that you leave your truck idle a bit, way less expensive than putting in a block heater etc.

Kevin
Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. Yeah, I'm familiar with fuel gelling and plan to arrive somewhat empty so I can fill up locally with treated fuel. Just ordered the cold weather kit so I'll be covered and able to crank and start as long as the fuel is good.

We're staying in a nice place so I'm not worried about us getting cold just the truck.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 PM

Thanks for all the advice!
I'd let it idle for a few minutes just for the reason that driving a cold engine hard isn't real good for it in itself.
I hear you, but I drive real easy - shift at 1600 or so, 1/4 throttle, etc. Maybe I'll let it idle just to try the fuel warm up a LITTLE.
I wouldn't worry about the filter right at this moment - just keep an eye out for leaks.
After teh 911 treatment, I drove to fuel station (about 5 miles). Then the fuel filter cannister started spewing fuel. Got another fuel filter (for the o-ring) I did not put the new fuel filter in because this one only had 1000 miles on it. Now I realize that I was stupid for not putting it in. That's what you get for being as cheap as I am.
I see that being from VA, likely your fuel stations are not getting winter blend from the refinery...Just remember you'll have to winter blend your own fuel every time when fueling up (as long as colder temp.'s persist) as I doubt your getting it at the fuel stops.
You're right - here on out I will fuel up in PA before heading back home.

Now back to one of my questions, with the 911 is my fuel winterized, or should I add something like Power Service Diesel Fuel Suppliment?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:31 PM

It is winterized for this tank, but you will have to add some more every tank. One nice thing about not running winter fuel is that you get more cetene and lubricants than we do with winter fuel. So additives are not as important for that kind of stuff

Kevin
Old 02-05-2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Hodowanec
Thanks for all the advice!

Then the fuel filter cannister started spewing fuel.
Hmmmm. Almost seems if this has happened to me personally before.

Those are days fumbling at -35 Cecius with frozen fingers and fuel filters I don't wish to remember.

Your on the right track. It'll be fine now me thinks.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Question