3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

cold weather needs

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold weather needs

hello,

i live in san diego and must go to detroit 1st week in feb. i know i need to run some PS white anti gel but also wonder about the grid heater. is there already one installed from the factory? what do i need and do i need a cover for my grill/radiator?

thanks for any information you can give me.
david
socal
Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The grid heater is factory equipment. You will see the light come on when you turn on the key, and just wait to start until it goes off. If it's really cold, you might have to turn the key off and back on to cycle the grid heaters a couple of times.

The engine is also factory equipped with a block heater, over by the oil filter. The power cord for the block heater is an option, however. If you have that option, you will find the power cord down by the passenger side edge of the radiator. If you don't have that option, there will be a plastic cover on the block heater.

It was like a $10 option to add the power cord, but if you add it later, buy one elsewhere (Dodge parts price is high).

Whether or not you want to block off the radiator will depend on how cold it is expected to get, and if you will be towing or hauling. You can just zip tie a chunk of cardboard across the front.

Fuel you buy in areas that have a winter will generally already be appropriately blended, but what you get in so cal probably isn't, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to refuel when you get up there and/or add additive.

Lastly, it wouldn't hurt to carry some diesel 911, and maybe a couple spare fuel filters, just in case.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by dhe9
hello,

i live in san diego and must go to detroit 1st week in feb. i know i need to run some PS white anti gel but also wonder about the grid heater. is there already one installed from the factory? what do i need and do i need a cover for my grill/radiator?

thanks for any information you can give me.
david
socal
how long you gonna be there for? whats your driving route gonna be? I dont think you need to worry about too much with your truck. a quick search says the average temp in detroit in feb. is 25 degrees. if you are going to be staying for a while might be worth while to switch to 5w40 when you get there, but if its a quick trip, I would say stock wont be an issue. I also wouldnt worry too much about the anti gel, you wont be seeing a lot of gelling unless its deep in the negative temps for a while.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:52 PM

thanks for the replies. when i said grid heater i meant the block heater. not sure if i have the cord but don't believe it was an option having bought the truck here in san diego.

i will be in detroit for - - - - not sure as i need to get my mother on a plane and fly her out here to socal. east bound i will be towing nothing but west bound i will be towing her car. plan on taking the I 10 east then head north probably on the I 75 trying to advoid the snow.

weather has been nasty with one night 14 below zero. don't like the idea of going to detroit but must get my 84 year old mother out of there. i will be flying her back to socal.

thanks again for the information.

david
socal
Old 01-25-2009, 07:36 PM

You just missed the cold here in the "D". I never plug mine in and we were down below zero many nights and mornings. Yeah what the other guy said bring some diesel 911 and add some additive(apparently any additive will work...??///) I haven't been cross country with my ctd but i have to imagine something covering your grill might help regulate engine temps. , it will help the initial warm up too. Good luck with your trip.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:07 PM

if your just driving there, then driving back, I would say you really dont need to worry about much. but plan for the worst I guess, never can be too careful.

so yeah, diesel 911, run some additive, I dont think you will need to worry about the cold weather front, I ran for 2 years without it, it is nice for warm up, but once you are up to temp, as long as you are driving it usually stays up there.

oh, what I would really make sure I had is AAA, cant beat that when you are driving cross country.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 PM

cold weather needs

thanks for the info and as far as AAA, i never leave home without it. i do have a question, what is and where do i get "diesel 911?" i will spend the first night sleeping in the back of my truck in a truck stop, probably flying J, can i get the diesel 911 there?

thanks,
david
socal
Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 PM

yeah, most truck stops will carry it. its in a red bottle.

good luck on the drive! if you have any troubles and are near iowa, feel free to call out for help, I am usually sitting at my computer.

edit--

hahaha, just re read your route, you are not goin anywhere NEAR iowa . but still, I am sure you can call out for help and someone will be near by!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 PM

thanks for the info and the offer. as you said i will not be near iowa. gotta stay away from the snow as long as i can.

david
socal
Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 PM

don't worry about the truck, it will be fine, alittle additive is all you need.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in Tahoe with no issues with cold weather, I run 15w40 year round and just plug the truck in at night for easier warm up in the morning. It's usally around 0* - 20* in the morning with about 2-3 of snow in the winter months. But like everyone says, better safe than sorry, and AAA is must.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Power Service is a pump/injector lubrication, that also reduces the jelling temp of fuel.

Diesel 911 is an additive that can be helpful in getting a truck that has already jelled up going again. Dump some in the filter housing, along with a new filter, and dump the rest in the tank.

I doubt you will need either, but it pays to be prepared just in case.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the snow. When it does snow around here the roads are normally cleared up the next day. If it does get slippery just slow down and look at knuckleheads (the ones that don't slow down) in ditches , they always make interesting arcs on the road that lead to the ditch . You can always stop at the next town and rest for the next day. Here is a web site where you can check on the weather. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ Click on the state then click on a city. When you are on a city forcast on the bottom left there is normally a National forcast graphic where you can see the general area especially snow amounts for he next few days. As long as you have a computer you can monitor the weather daily. Normally the local forcasts are only accurate for the first 10 minutes of the day . Good luck on your trip.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:14 PM

I agree about snow not being a huge problem but taking the sourthern route is the way to go this time of year. Vail Pass can be a huge suck if you go via I-70.
I'd bring the Power Service and 911 for when you turn left and head north. The fuel may take you far enough north for the fuel blend to not be ready for the cold. As you head north, top it off before shutting it down for the night.

You'll be fine. Good luck and travel safe. Big D to San D is a nice change!