3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Coating/painting chrome lug covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coating/painting chrome lug covers

I just picked up my H2 rims from the powdercoater and they didn't coat the area covered by the hub cap/lug covers. Why, I don't know. I was going to leave the covers off and paint the hubs so they semi-matched, but now that's not an option. So, I'm thinking I'll paint or coat the factory chromed plastic lug covers.

Has anyone done this or know what my options are? I want something that will be somewhat durable. Can plastic be powdercoated? What about Rhino-Lined?

I coated the rims in a smoke grey color (its actually called "way black") and want to do the caps in a matching color or black to match the trucks paint. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2006, 06:55 PM

I think you are better off with that part not Powder Coated. Your lug nuts will seat better. Did they cover the back side as well? I think you are better off if so.

I was thinking about having some H2 wheels done. I was thinking of leaving the centers and the "spokes" left polished. Thinking that would look good.

I would try to find a paint that matched the color of the powder coating or black and paing the hubs. Then see what that looks like. Thinking that would look good with your black truck. Even the chrome covers would look good. TexasCTD did that. I like more of the open Hub look.

Other than that, you will prob be better off trying to pick up some non-chrome lug nut covers to paint. Thinking the chromed covers wont take paint well.

Where are the pics of the wheels?
Old 07-17-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by nriver
I think you are better off with that part not Powder Coated. Your lug nuts will seat better. Did they cover the back side as well? I think you are better off if so.

I was thinking about having some H2 wheels done. I was thinking of leaving the centers and the "spokes" left polished. Thinking that would look good.

I would try to find a paint that matched the color of the powder coating or black and paing the hubs. Then see what that looks like. Thinking that would look good with your black truck. Even the chrome covers would look good. TexasCTD did that. I like more of the open Hub look.

Other than that, you will prob be better off trying to pick up some non-chrome lug nut covers to paint. Thinking the chromed covers wont take paint well.

Where are the pics of the wheels?
Well I ran to an automotive paint shop and they're mixing up a pint of matching paint. I'll use that and paint the areas the powdercoat missed (area under the cap) and the hubs and see how it looks. If I don't like it I'll put the chrome cover on. I layed the chrome cover over the unmounted wheel and it looked pretty good.

Once my Toyo's arrive and I get them mounted I'll snap some pictures and post them.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:13 AM

I was going to suggest stopping by your local hobby shop where they sell RC Car supplies. They have a lot of good paints for plastics that can take a beating (RC car/truck bodies).
Old 07-18-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by JThiessen
I was going to suggest stopping by your local hobby shop where they sell RC Car supplies. They have a lot of good paints for plastics that can take a beating (RC car/truck bodies).
JThiessen,

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have thought of that since I fly RC planes and helicopters.