3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Chrome Tubular Side Steps

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome Tubular Side Steps

I've already found out to skip the factory under rail bed liner.

What about the CHROME TUBULAR SIDE STEPS from the factory, go or no go?

If no go, recommend some after market one please.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:01 AM

If your talking about the Chrome Mopar steps from the dealer, I personally think they are a rip off, and didnt like the way my foot felt on them when I stepped, they were too close to the rocker panel for me, and I did not feel like I had a good footprint on them, getting in or out, I sold mine about 3 months after I bought my truck. I went with the Mopar diamond plate set-up, like it much better. i can get almost my whole foot on them now, in or out, I feel much more comfortable with them, but the one thing I can say, is these were MUCH more difficult to install, had to drill and rustproof something like 22 holes for these steps because of the way they mount up.

My dealer wanted $729 for the Mopar tubes, and I said for the amount of cash Im putting down, do something for me, and he said he'll "throw them in", Well, I know I paid for them somewhere down the road!! Anyway, they said that in '05 they wanted like $279 for these steps, and the rest was labor, because they had one on the showroom with that nice little add on sticker that said "Chrome Step Package", additional $729.00!! Well, let me tell ya, I had both these steps un-bolted and laying on the ground in less than 5 mins!! So, $500 for labor to install something that should take 10 mins at most???? Thats why I think they are a rip off. Unless your getting them for much cheaper, and you like them go ahead, but if they want to charge you $500 or so, theres alot of other brands available for alot less money!! Good luck
Old 12-21-2007, 06:02 AM

On the "Build your Dodge" site the steps are priced at $495.00 and I'm sure that means installed. I'm buying from Dave Smith Motors and don't expect the usual mumbo jumbo that you get from dealers.

Do dealers have the diamond plate set up?
Old 12-21-2007, 06:23 AM

The factory steps are nice. Go for them if you can get a good deal on them from the dealer. Good deal meaning $300 or less. I paid $200 for an aftermarket no-name set on ebay. They look and work great. Install took 20 min (mainly because I was doing it myself.) Four bolts out, four bolts in.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I picked up a used set off the classifieds here. I'm not a big fan of tube steps, or steps generally, but the GF had a hard time getting into the truck and the price was right.

Anyhow, install took like 20 minutes. There've been different styles, and the ones I have stick out pretty good from the rocker pannel, to the point where it isn't easy to step over them. Once I got used to actually stepping on them, they've been fine.

Anyway, maybe you could pick up some take-off's reasonable if you look around. For the price the dealer wants for tube steps, you are getting close to the price of running boards that would protect the paint better.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Banned

got them on my truck ... they are over-priced but hold up well to salt and corrosion. One thing I dislike is they are so close to the rockers that in the winter they quickly pack full of slush (between the steps and rockers) and become one big round chunk of ice ... that you can't clean out until it melts ... very dangerous to use. They put zero thought into winter use with these steps... but if this wouldn't be a problem for you then I'd recommend them if the price doesn't bother you.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't get chrome myself. The chip and rust to easy. I picked up a set of SS steps on ebay for under 200 bucks shipped to my door. Took ~20 min to install and look brand new after 24K and I drive a lot of gravel.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:54 AM

Nasta All Stainles Steel.. Tubes, bolts, brackets...
http://www.nastainternational.com/pr..._step_bars.htm

I had a black tube as someone told me when they chip you can paint them. After 2+ years I went to take them off to paint and they almost had holes rotted from the inside out. The stainless look great and should last much longer than any of the painted or chrome steps.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:04 AM

i have the factory steps on my truck. they are perfect for me. i like that they don't hang lower because you don't accidentally rub your pants on them when getting in and out. you can choose to use the step or not. they look good and they are sturdy.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
One thing I dislike is they are so close to the rockers that in the winter they quickly pack full of slush
I think the style of the factory tube steps changed some place along the line (Perhaps 06)?

Mine are a little too far from the rocker pannel for my taste. I don't generally step on running boards or steps, but these stick out to the side far enough that they are difficult to step over. There might also be enough of a gap for a person to get their foot down between the rocker pannel and tube if your foot slipped off and you fell...

Anyway, next time I'll do individual sturrup (sp?) type steps, or full running boards.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:28 PM

As someone stated above, buy stainless. I have had chrome on a previous truck and they look good for a little while. But once you get mud, snow etc on them they don't ever shine up like they were when new. Stainless will shine forever.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the Westin CPS (stainless) steps on my truck in 2004 and they still shine up like new.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:29 PM

If you are buying from Dave Smith i am pretty sure they have some aftermarket connections that may be worth looking into. My bro in law got his there and managed to leave with tinted windows and rhino liner and not pay for it.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
Nasta All Stainles Steel.. Tubes, bolts, brackets...
http://www.nastainternational.com/pr..._step_bars.htm

I had a black tube as someone told me when they chip you can paint them. After 2+ years I went to take them off to paint and they almost had holes rotted from the inside out. The stainless look great and should last much longer than any of the painted or chrome steps.

I agree with going with Nasta, they are priced well and EVERYTHING is Stainless!
Old 12-23-2007, 08:59 PM

The OEM tube steps are tight to the rocker panels which does limit the room for your foot, but that's why I bought them. I actually take my truck off-road (unlike most people) and the aftermarket steps will high-center you way before these will because all the ones I've seen hang way below the body. Installation was a PITA until I figured out a way to keep the wingnut from spinning around inside the body mount. Dodgeparts.com sells them for about $450 and the black ones are on sale for around 350 right now, so I wouldnt pay any dealer over 500 for those steps as they are not that hard to install yourself.

Quick Reply: Chrome Tubular Side Steps