3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cheap wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap wiring

I have had my CTD almost nine months now, and really do like it.
Until now I really had no complaints. Today I wired up a 7-pin 5th Wheel connector, and had to tap into the existing wiring. I could not believe the small under size wire they used.
Come on DC, if anybody there reads these posts. Just because the wire does not melt, does not mean it's big enough!!!!
If anybody out there has noticed your trailer lights are a little dim, this would be the reason. Which reminds me, I have read a LOT of posts about poor headlights. My guess is the headlights are OK, you just need to run the proper size wires to them.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:58 AM
ZS

Cannot comment on wiring something up - My boat trailer connects to the standard connector provided with the truck.

I do know this though - With my previous vehicle (97 Jeep Cherokee), the trailer lights (brake lights) were VERY dim - The first thing I noticed when I got this truck, hooked up my trailer & hit the 4-ways was just HOW much brighter they were compared to the jeep...

Twice as bright at least - With my jeep it was tough to even SEE the trailer lights in the bright daylight.

With this truck there is no doubt when the brakes / signals are on.

SO - Aside from what you said about wiring your own, I have seen the exact opposite results!

ZS
Old 08-12-2004, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ray,
Where did you tap the wiring from? Did you tap from the 7 pin connector on the bumper?

MikeyB
Old 08-12-2004, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by MikeyB
Ray,
Where did you tap the wiring from? Did you tap from the 7 pin connector on the bumper?

MikeyB

I tapped 10 or 12 inches from the 7 pin bumber cinnector.
The wires on the connector I installed were twice the size as the wires I tapped.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:17 AM

Do a search on wiring a Dodge Truck and you find one I asked. The wirung will not support the plug on Dodges and Jeeps. They make a relay set up. The wiring is only 22 gage and will burn out the head lite switch.