3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Can't get Rush...poor AM radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what it would cost to get a cheep ant. at some place like Radio Shack. If you had one, you could hook it up for a quick test. Then you would know if the problem ie in the Radio or the ant.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by Ray Roton
I don't know what it would cost to get a cheep ant. at some place like Radio Shack. If you had one, you could hook it up for a quick test. Then you would know if the problem ie in the Radio or the ant.

The problem with that is Dodge in all their glory decided just like GM, VW, and a few others that the standard antenna plug that has worked flawlessly for years needed to be changed. So in order to replace the antenna or the radio you need this antenna adapter (the 40-cr20)to plug an aftermarket antenna into the factory radio (which is less than $10.00). You can also replace the antenna with and aftermarked factory replacement for about $12.00 but it's a pain to do. If there is a car stereo shop (not a box store like Best Buy) around you could stop in and ask them. They may have the adapter and an antenna (doesn't even have to be for your truck) you could hook up and try. That would help narrow it down and wouldn't take much time or effort.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by jwooden
I added in-console gauges about two weeks before the reception cut out. The wiring makes for a rats nest behind the console plate, but the radio is several inches above that, so I can't imagine I put any pressure on the antenna cable (loosening it) when I closed it up, but I can easily check.

One thing I noticed yesterday while trying AM is that every five minutes or so the reception would spike for a couple of seconds. It also got better when I opened my drivers door, but then quickly tapered off again.

If any of your gauges are electronic, such as trans temp, even some fuel pressure you might unhook the power to that gauge. If you tapped into a power wire to the radio that may be causing interference. The ground wire might be close to the radio ground and doing it also. AM doesn't like electrical noise. When all else fails, try wrapping your head in aluminum foil.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:28 PM

Yeah, but just try and find Rush, Sean or Dr. Laura anywhere on FM!
i haven't a clue who any of those are...
Old 04-26-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bama
aahhhh,,,,rush,,true genious there.........says the oil companies are doing us all a big favor by only charging 3 bucks a gallon,by all standards,it should be 4.......
Perhaps you believe Bush and ExxonMobil set the price of oil. ? . In reality it is set by Islamist/Communist OPEC cartel members, mutual funds and Traders.

Lets do the math:

Todays crude price is $72 a barrel. There are 42 gallons in a barrel. That's $1.71 per gallon of crude. If that crude is of the "light sweet" variety you can get 60% of that gallon of crude turned into gasoline. That puts the raw price of gasoline in the $2.75 range without taxes and refining cost added in.

Maybe should do what Jimmy Carter did in the previous oil crisis-- Windfall profit taxes and price controls on oil. The results were gasoline shortages, rationing and looong lines at the pump.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:31 PM

Here in Colorado I like to listen to Mike Rosen on 850 KOA. Regardless of all that even with 50K watts of transmit power on 850 KOA my AM reception stinks on occasion. And KOA is supposedly available in 38 states and two countries. What is a good brand of aftermarket stereo that is reasonably priced and fits our trucks? Also tinfoil hats tend to attenuate radio wave frequencies...don't ask me how I know.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nickleinonen
i haven't a clue who any of those are...

O Canada...

Anyway, regarding the truck. Can't be the external antenna. Remember that radio kit you built in your high school electronics class? The AM antenna is a smallish coil looking thing, attached right to the radio's circuit board. FM antennas are obviously external to the radio. I tested that theory today by sliding my radio out of the dash (took about 1.5 minutes to do, scary if anyone wanted to steal one out of your truck ) and disengaged the antenna cable. No difference on AM, big difference on FM (FM reception ceased without the cable plugged in). The problem must be inside the radio.

I guess I'll take it to the dealer, who will b!+ch and moan about my guages and how they are at fault (and no, I didn't tap my radio for power to the gauges, that's what the lighter is for). Then I'll insist he swap out my stereo with one from a used '03 on the lot to show him the difference. That should do it I hope.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by jwooden
O Canada...

Anyway, regarding the truck. Can't be the external antenna. Remember that radio kit you built in your high school electronics class? The AM antenna is a smallish coil looking thing, attached right to the radio's circuit board. FM antennas are obviously external to the radio. I tested that theory today by sliding my radio out of the dash (took about 1.5 minutes to do, scary if anyone wanted to steal one out of your truck ) and disengaged the antenna cable. No difference on AM, big difference on FM (FM reception ceased without the cable plugged in). The problem must be inside the radio.

I guess I'll take it to the dealer, who will b!+ch and moan about my guages and how they are at fault (and no, I didn't tap my radio for power to the gauges, that's what the lighter is for). Then I'll insist he swap out my stereo with one from a used '03 on the lot to show him the difference. That should do it I hope.

I thought about that AM antenna thing as I was typing that, however I think it uses the antenna wire to help with reception. Home theatre recievers come with (pioneer anyway) an external AM antenna which like you said is a coiled wire. When the AM reception in my truck was horrible, unplugging the antenna killed the reception completely. This might be because the tuner is a seperate box that is mounted under the seat.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are referring to a different antenna type than is used on a car radio. The radio will use the whip antenna and tune it to match the am frequencies. If it was on the board like a transistor radio of the '60s you would get no reception under the dash.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:02 PM

I don't think you need to worry about rush he's in the slammer for doing cocaine
Old 04-28-2006, 07:08 PM

HAHAHHAHAHAHA..... Then they must have installed the Golden EIB Microphone and the dittocam in the can because he is on everyday!

Cocaine!!! hahahahahaha

Good one!
Oilguy
Old 04-28-2006, 08:08 PM

Did I say cocaine,I meant synthetic heroin he already bailed out
Old 04-28-2006, 10:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Rush

Originally Posted by socal 610
Did I say cocaine,I meant synthetic heroin he already bailed out
I bailed on both parties years ago but must come to the defense of Rushbo. By mutual consent Rush was arrested and charges dismissed by the prosecutor today simultaneously. I do however side with Mr. O'Reilly and feel big oil in a time of war is raking us over the coals. How much profit is enough? Conversely,how much vehicle is necessary to get four kids to soccer/ Certainly not an Excursion or Suburban. I love my truck but drive a '98 Accord to work each day and for errands. Three bucks every 28 miles makes more sense than driving the big guy.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:38 PM

I drive my big honkin truck everywhere I want to go and I don't really care what the fuel prices do. I hope they go down... but if they don't I will just work another 20 min to pay for it.
I do have a toyota celica... but it is heavily modified and gets about 5 miles to the gallon when I race it. I think my boat is the most effecient thing I have... But when you are on the lake pulling a tube... who care how much gas you go through?? hahaha...

I just have to laugh when I hear people saying that our truck are killing the plante and causing global warming!!! A story came out a month or so ago about the sun going through a "cycle of heavy solar activity" that is going to play havoc on cell phone and radio transmissions but did not say one thing about how this hotter than normal cycle is going to make the earth hotter.... NOOOOO!!! That guy with the smokin Dodge is the one responsible for that!!! If he just had a hybrid or Vespa.

News Flash... Sun gets hot = Earth gets hot.
Bush didn't do it.

In fact... to get back on point... That is the problem with your AM!!! Solar Flares are causing interferance!!! There will probably be a new Re-flash to resolve it... and make your horn honk in Park too.

I got to get another beer.

OG