3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Can't get Rush...poor AM radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the think for yourself comment...Right or Left...

Also get your information from as many sources as possible to help form an opinion. I have XM anyway that I listen to at work as well as driving around. The $11.00 per month is worth it to me for no commercials...Too lazy to do the buying & loading of ipod...
Old 04-25-2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Herr Diesel
Also get your information from as many sources as possible to help form an opinion. I have XM anyway that I listen to at work as well as driving around. The $11.00 per month is worth it to me for no commercials...Too lazy to do the buying & loading of ipod...

Rush is right about alot but has his down sides. Thats why I listen to 30 min of Fox news then flip to CNN. Thats my Fair and Balanced news
Old 04-25-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SBishop
My suggestion is to turn your radio off and "do your own thinking"

Tried that once, it was too scary (the voices....)

Back to the truck. I unscrewed the antenna. Except for a big blob of blue locktite it looked really good. No corrosion. Didn't have any dielectric grease handy, but figured it wouldn't matter anyway since it was clean. Removed the wheel well liner so I could get to the connector on the backside of the antenna. That didn't do any good, there is no connector. The antenna cable is just swaged into the antenna base. I didn't have time to check it at the radio, but can't imagine the problem lies there.

Anyone else have this problem? Or am I the only one on this forum who still listens to AM? My 3/36 warranty is up in a couple of thousand miles, need to know if I should ask for a new radio.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:15 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SBishop
My suggestion is to turn your radio off and "do your own thinking"
Good Answer.
(or) listen to someone with an audience large enough to be on that new fangeled FM band.

Or better yet, a program that is syndicated or played on Sirius. May I suggest Howard Stern, or Opie and Anthony, recently took over Diamond Dave's train wreck on "Free" FM.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:16 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by jwooden
My 3/36 warranty is up in a couple of thousand miles, need to know if I should ask for a new radio.
I would, if it don't work, it don't work.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Muted User

Anyone else have this problem? Or am I the only one on this forum who still listens to AM? My 3/36 warranty is up in a couple of thousand miles, need to know if I should ask for a new radio.
No your not the only one who listens to AM. Funny though how everyone is trying sooo hard to turn this into a political thread instead of addressing the problem.
I would see if they would try and swap one out. But if you luck is like mine you probably get good reception at the dealer but as soon as you pull out.....

Just wondering, did you do anything to the truck before the reception died. like add lights or maybe a cb radio, new batteries? Just a thought since AM is extremely affected by electrical noise. I had a cell phone charger that would KILL mine in my semi. So I replaced the antenna, and moved it to the roof instead of the side of the cab since I knew it wasn't the radio (bc it is a $1600.00 Pioneer touch screen dvd player). It fixed my problem.

Another option would to go completely aftermarket I changed the radio in my Dodge right after I got it so i'm not sure how good the factory AM was.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by P.J
Good Answer.
(or) listen to someone with an audience large enough to be on that new fangeled FM band.

Or better yet, a program that is syndicated or played on Sirius. May I suggest Howard Stern, or Opie and Anthony, recently took over Diamond Dave's train wreck on "Free" FM.
As entertaining as Howards "sylban" is, I find that there are far more enlightning things to listen to to provoke thought than Mr. Stern. (I was a stern fan, until the switch, I have xm.)

P.S. All political stuff aside, Rush has far more listners than Stern.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:13 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
P.S. All political stuff aside, Rush has far more listners than Stern.
Now that he moved, probably true. When Stern was still on FM, no-one had more listeners.
I listen to the radio to be entertained (and laugh), watching the news in the morning and evening is enough enlightenment for me.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When Stern was still on FM, no-one had more listeners.
Funny, I live near one of the largest cities in the US and Stern has never had a presence here. It must be a left and right coast thing.

Of course, our area is so converative a local radio station announced a format change that included Stern's show and the area Pastors protested and the station decided to go Tejano.

I saw his TV show once and thought it was pretty juvenile.

Back to the OP, my AM reception in the Dodge is good. My Suburban, however, the AM reception went to right before the whole radio failed.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
Just wondering, did you do anything to the truck before the reception died. like add lights or maybe a cb radio, new batteries?
I added in-console gauges about two weeks before the reception cut out. The wiring makes for a rats nest behind the console plate, but the radio is several inches above that, so I can't imagine I put any pressure on the antenna cable (loosening it) when I closed it up, but I can easily check.

One thing I noticed yesterday while trying AM is that every five minutes or so the reception would spike for a couple of seconds. It also got better when I opened my drivers door, but then quickly tapered off again.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 AM

I Love AM... I get tired of the same 20 songs on the FM band over and over... I Like Neal Boortz... Libertarian... He really pisses me off at least once a day but he makes me think... Rush is Ok but Hannity is a hack that argues like a teenage girl. Rush is brilliant but is obviously trying to pull a Zell Miller and fix the GOP.

But back to the point... AM In Tejas is strong! A couple of years ago the local station change on the dial from 1150 to 1620 and I had to buy a new car so I could get that station... The old one stoped at 1600!

Oilguy
Old 04-26-2006, 10:51 AM

Dielectric grease is an insulator, so don't use it on electrical connections, instead use it on the insulation such as the connector body, boots, etc.

As far as getting not getting Rush on the radio see if you have the hyprocrite filter turned up too high; Chickenhawks who get out of military service because of boils on their butts, or druggies who think that their drug addiction should be ignored as they complain about drug addicts, will need the filter set to very low or off.

I appreciate any good argument, position, etc., left or right, but especailly despise hypocrisy in arrogant blowhards.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:55 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1sttruck
Dielectric grease is an insulator, so don't use it on electrical connections, instead use it on the insulation such as the connector body, boots, etc.

As far as getting not getting Rush on the radio see if you have the hyprocrite filter turned up too high; Chickenhawks who get out of military service because of boils on their butts, or druggies who think that their drug addiction should be ignored as they complain about drug addicts, will need the filter set to very low or off.

I appreciate any good argument, position, etc., left or right, but especailly despise hypocrisy in arrogant blowhards.

Well said. Right on.

Wetspirit
Old 04-26-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
If I recall the antenna able is a 2 piece cable. It connects at the radio. I think if it was disconnected there you wouldnt get any reception at all. There is another connection behind the glove box I think. Could be it has come loose or undone there and you are getting some reception due to having some antenna but not enough. Might be worth a check anyway
Old 04-26-2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by bama
aahhhh,,,,rush,,true genious there.........says the oil companies are doing us all a big favor by only charging 3 bucks a gallon,by all standards,it should be 4.......when you let your political preference determine what you think solely by that preference,youre out of touch......complete moron,period...........bama

Well BAMA I am diversified, I listen to XM, sorry no Rush. Every day or so I switch over to Air America for a good laugh and some current news humor. Yeah that is the one with Mike Malloy, Franken, and a few other smart people.

they have good opinions to correct America like sending billions to Mexico to strengthen their economy so that poor immigrants will not have a reason to get wet. The names they call the Bush administration I would get sued for if I called my neighbor in public.

That is the opposition to conservative radio, quite a class act It that is the best the libs can do, goodness

Quick Reply: Can't get Rush...poor AM radio reception