3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Can't find one.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcssr
Festus

Is that tax/title/liceses, Ready to drive? Or is there Duty for importing this vehicle? Just want to know.
We have a slightly different process in Canada. Hopefully what I type will make sense.

1) Call Dave Smith in Idaho (dealing with Phil), give him a $500.00 deposit on my credit card so he can pull truck from inventory.

2) After getting VIN, get insurance from my insurance company effective the date of picking the truck up. At the same time he'd have to email me title inforamtion so I can fax that, along with some other paperwork to Customs folks where I'm crossing - they require 72 hours to process before I come across with the truck. Fax Canada Customs registries to process title transfer 48 hrs prior to crossing at a $206.70 cost.

3) Get down to Kellog, ID, pay for the truck and obtain originals for border crossing, and drive toward home. (Maybe pick up some accessories while down there)

4) At US Customs step in to get all originals reviewed and stamped.

5) Step into Canada Customs to get those papers reviewed. Pay them 6% GST (Goods and Services Tax) on the cost of the truck. Btw, from some acqaintenances that work for the government, on Sept. 1, a new regulation came into force that "duty" on new vehicles no longer exists.

6) Continue to drive home from the border with a big grin.

7) Get the truck inspected for insurance purposes and forward paperwork to my insurance company. That's easy, my cousin is a licensed tech. for vehicle inspection.

8) Be really happy that I screwed the Alberta dealerships on money that they could have had if their prices were more reasonable.

Now, I've left a few things out and generally gave the jist of the process because there are a few little details I still have to clear up, but they have to been done properly for US and Canada Customs to eliminate any hassle whatsoever - most of it is making sure they're up to date with some of these new regulations - and boy, would you be surprised!

Now the actual process sounds difficult, but it's really not. The investigation and gathering of information is what has been difficult. It has taken longer already to do the research, leg work, and the lining up of ducks than it will to drive from Kellog, ID to Edmonton, AB.

Hopefully, this makes some sense. Heck, I've done the research, and I'm still having trouble keeping it all straight.

The MAJOR detail of this whole entire thing is accurate paperwork for crossing the border. If one "T" isn't crossed, it would cost me alot of time there.

On edit: Now, anyone want or know anyone that wants a perfectly good 1998 360 gas (pic is in gallery - have more that can be emailed). That is my only current drawback, I'd like to use the money from the sale of the old one to put down on the new. There might be a slim chance that I can deliver as far as Kellog, ID.....fairly cheap with the accessories that are on it. Due to the rules of this site, this particular topic cannot get discussed in detail in this thread........PM or email me only.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:22 PM

I have a question. How much easier would this be if you found a new truck elsewhere in Canada if the price was right? I know your part of the world isn't as compact as mine, but if you flew into another Canadien city, providing you could get a good deal there, then drive home?

Have you looked into other cities or areas? You might not save 18 large, but if you could save some cash and still have your warranty this might be another option.

18 grand is quite a nice starter for a BOMBing fund, though.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:36 PM

I've had a search done on the inventory from all dealers in this province - no manuals in the color and options I want.

To go to another province, even if they worked on the price a bit, I'd still have to pay provincial tax on top. No provincial tax in Alberta. I could apply for a provincial tax credit to that province, but I'd have to wait to tax time and the paperwork is worse than crossing an international border - believe it or not.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Festus
I've had a search done on the inventory from all dealers in this province - no manuals in the color and options I want.

To go to another province, if they worked on the price a bit, I'd still have to pay provincial tax on top. No provincial tax in Alberta. I could apply for a provincial tax credit to that province, but I'd have to wait to tax time and the paperwork is worse than crossing an international border - believe it or not.
I see. I didn't know there was a provincial tax. No wonder you're looking at the US option. Good luck in which ever way you go and please keep us posted.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Festus

To go to another province, if they worked on the price a bit, I'd still have to pay provincial tax on top. No provincial tax in Alberta. I could apply for a provincial tax credit to that province, but I'd have to wait to tax time and the paperwork is worse than crossing an international border - believe it or not.

Actually you just sign a residence form and they photocopy your drivers license. You don't even pay the sales tax. But you won't find anything remotely close to the deal you are looking at, just do it.