3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cab Marker Light Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab Marker Light Leak

OK here we go again, this time it's the driver's side marker light. For those of you with 3500's or 2500's with cab marker lamps. Be aware, they crack for no reason and start to leak water inthe cab.
These lamps really suck because I have had no problems with them for the first year and a on half & then all of sudden they begin to get moisture in them from stress cracks. Then they start to leak into the overhead of the cab. I have had the one on the passenger side replaced because after the summer dry spell ended and we had 4 days of heavy rain I had water leaking in coming down the A pillar. Now it's doing it on the driver side.
Does anyone have a real fix other than replacing them
Old 10-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Just replaced my drivers side also.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:46 PM

Is it a general crazing of the entire lens, or just individual cracks showing up.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:12 PM

These things are terrible. I really didn't want them but I guess they come on 3500's no matter what. I had posted a few weeks ago and the dealer claimed they resealed them but the were obviously cracked, because they still leaked. I went back and made them look at what I was looking at and they replaced all 5. So far so good but I watch them like a hawk. They first crak I see, it is going back.

good luck
Old 10-17-2004, 10:07 PM

I bought some foam rubber for gasket material and used silicone on both sides. Don't over tighten the screws just tighten them enough to squeeze out some silicone. No more leaks even with the truck wash high pressure nozzle only 6" from the base of the lense. If this fails anytime soon I'll purchase the kit from Dodge to add lights to trucks without markers. The lights in the kit have much thicker gaskets and the screws are on the sides where they should be instead of the ends where they are stock.

Hope this helps...

Richard
Old 10-17-2004, 10:56 PM

Went out and checked mine. Three out of the five have small cracks in the front.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:56 AM

Just had my center light replaced with 5000 miles was full of condensation .
Old 10-24-2004, 02:17 AM

I'm going to the dealer on Wedensday to have them replaced. For a temporary fix I pulled the lamps and put some clear rtv in the screw holes and on the cracks. It seems to work for now.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the heads up .......... truck was going in next day for flash and decided to check my lights and sure enough center one was cracked in three spots and full of moisture . Can't thank everyone enough for all the knowledge and info I have received from this board .
Old 11-01-2004, 09:09 PM

Went back in to the dealer today, had the Service Mgr out looking at the cracked lenses. Had a talk with the tech who signed off as lenses "OK, just some moisture inside. " Only problem being, no lenses to be had, go figure. Found one, in Moncton. Could be a while getting replacements.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:28 PM

doesn't that amaze you? Lenses OK. My first work order said resealed lenses. I asked what they did to reseal the large cracks right down the front of them. They just looked at me and said if they leak again come back. Sure enough it leaked the next time it rained and then they replaced them all after I talked to the service manager.

The only thing I like about my dealer is the diesel mech they have is a really good guy and easy to deal with.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:57 AM

Yikes, I have water dripping from my visor and grab handles sounds like I have your problems too. What about a recall for these lights.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:14 PM

I have had nothing but trouble with these poor excuses for cab marker lights. I have replaced several only to have them leak again. Next rather than replacing I have sealed with silicon which works for a while only to have them leak again. What are we to do?

The last two times it has rained here I have had water on the passenger side rubber floor mat. After the first occurence I removed and resealed the extreme passenger side lens and thought that would solve the problem. Guess what? The next rain more water on the floor mat. It is not leaking through the grab handle or visor mount. I look up under the dash but can't see the origin. It drips down the side of the blower motor but I can't see any further. I took the truck to the car wash and sprayed it with the high pressure water and can not get it to leak. I suspect body seam sealer missing some where on the upper A-pillar. I don't know why this problem takes so long to rear it's ugly head but my last Gen II did exactly the same thing. It just started a little earlier. Mid twenties instead of low thirty thousand miles. The Gen II took four trips and seventeen days in the shop to fix the same problem. This is why I bought this truck. I had convinced myself that the dealer could not fix it and I would get a new Gen III. Next I decided to take it to the dealer one more time, tell them to have the windshield removed and if the leak then could not be found I would pay for everything including a new windshield if it was broken when removed. Well needless to say, they found missing and cracked body seam sealer. No more leak but the seed had already been planted for a Gen III. Now I have the same problem. I still have five thousand plus miles on the bumper to bumper warranty. I am hoping it will leak rain water during working hours so I can show the dealer. When the leak can't be duplicated with a hose it sure makes it tough to find the source. Sorry for the long post and going off topic but I thought maybe some of your leaks may not be the cab marker lights. I am extremely disappointed that this has now happened on both of my DC built trucks. I love the CTD engine but I will not buy another DC product period. They as myself can't seem to learn from our mistakes.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:20 PM

QUOTE,,
If I could fill the holes you guys could have my cab lights. I just think that
by now they would have come up with a better looking, more low profile,
modern looking cab light. At night I think they are fine but in the daylight
these faded, leaking things just look too goofy.. ...they blow
the sweeping lines of the new cab right out the door. Come on, a new
cab design deserves new cab light designs,, after all it is the 21st century.
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THESE GOOFY THINGS ARE SUPPOSED TO DO??
And what the hek is a 1 ton truck. Mine weighs @ 6600 and carries @ 6400.?.
Just say no to old fashion cab lights.. ..but I would never let my truck
here me say any of this, I just love her too much.. ....Hope she doesn't read this.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:27 PM

My center light had cracks and I may pull them this weekend and put silicone on all of the rubber gasket areas, as well as the top and bottom screw holes. Nothing leaking inside, but I have seen some moisture on the inside of my light, I'm watching it though.

Quick Reply: Cab Marker Light Leak