3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

A/C warranty info update - $800 DC assist

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A/C warranty info update - $800 DC assist

Some info that may be of use to many of you having or about to have A/C issues. DC finally kicked in $800 toward repair on my 03 2500 which started having issues last year. Hope this helps many of you - your previous posts helped me and we need to pool our experiences and demand some long-term help!

8/05- blowing 20 degrees warmer on passenger side, no flow after 1.5 hrs on hwy (coil freezing up due to low R134A)...sound familiar?
Fix: DC replaced the evap and recharged at no cost under 3/36 warranty

3/06- only 7 months on the new evap, blowing 20F warmer on passenger side...
Fix: Can't pinpoint issue, sys low, recharge and add die for $288. Recirc door controller broken (must order parts and repair for $510!). Nothing covered since vehicle is now over 3/36.

6/28- blowing 20F warmer...Back to the dealer for the dye results. Before going to dealer, called DC, stated frustration and informed them of all other issues you've been reporting w/ AC. Lady was nice and said call back with diagnosis prior to repairing to see if they can offer "assistance." Diagnosis: compressor leaking - replace along with accumulator and o-rings (est $1102!!!). Call DC w/ diagnosis.
Fix: DC picked up all but $300. So I'm out $588 and pretty much have a new system (compressor, evap and accumulator) since last year. Never did replace the recirc controller and have a file on record waiting for the class action suit down the road and recall when DC finally figures out what to do with their AC issues. Good luck!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine truck has been doing the same thing with much warmer air on the passenger side. So are they working on a recall or what, cus I am out of warranty, and cant pay for all that stuff. I wasnt real sure what was causing that, but Im glad to see that I am not alone. Thanks for your work griping and complaining, especailly for guys like me who just thought my truck was acting strange.

Matt Sandt
Old 06-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Chapter President

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Semper Fi!

I like that!
Old 06-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Banned

good job keeping up with all of that....the guys over on DodgeTruckWorld (including myself) are having the same issues but on 05's. and unfortunately i too passed 36k. soo close...38500.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:25 AM

Having the same issue with my '04.5..... Except Dodge doesn't find anything wrong with my A/C system.... The last time I had it in, they simply evacuated the system and recharged it.... It at least blows warm on P/S for about the first 2-5 miles before it cools off....

I donno.... If it wasn't for Cummins I wouldn't have bought a Dodge...
Old 07-01-2006, 09:03 AM

Thats a quote from the author George Orwell.
Sorry to get off subject.

Matt Sandt
Old 07-01-2006, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the information. Did have to have my system filled when I came to AZ. The put dye in also. They did not find any leaks. Since the truck was a low 9.1. K miles when purchased in WA state I figgure the A/C was never used. Now it is on all the time. Not having any problems.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:16 PM

It hasn't gotten any better with time either. Traded my '03 which had numerous trips to the shop for the a/c problems. The new '06 has 3400 miles on it and is scheduled to go in the dealership next Wednesday for the "same song, second verse" a/c problems just like the '03 had.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:19 AM

Lemon Law
Old 07-02-2006, 11:58 AM

Keep logging files w/ DC for everyone's benefit

Thanks for the responses back! Like I said, mine is out of warranty right now - 43K, but I had some record of the issue starting back under 36K. Get a file # started w/ DC and if nothing else, use my experience as leverage to try to get some "assistance." They know they have issues w/ AC otherwise I don't think they would have been so quick to offer $800 toward my repair.

If this keeps up, anyone know of class action precedent against auto manufacturers for poorly engineered equipment? I feel for you guys who are buying brand new mega cabs and quads with the same issues - you think they would get something right after the 3rd gen design has been in service this long!! Tell you one thing, they DC and Ford better get it right before Toyota or Honda does - woe be the day that they roll out a HD diesel truck that can compete.

Keep up the vigilance. Remember what David Horrowitz said..."fight back."
Old 07-02-2006, 03:27 PM

What is the baest way to contact DC and let them know I am having serious issues as well. What could they do for me, since I am far out of warranty (104,000) if they would do anything. Thanks again for your perserverence.

Matt Sandt
Old 07-03-2006, 06:35 PM

What Kind of warranty did you Guy's get when you purchased? I know when I bought my 03 they were offering the standard 7/70 mile warranty. I knew I was going to be running 25k a year & had them change it to 5 year/100k warranty. Thus, Mine is 85k with a/c problems. I have to pay a $100 deductable, but the rest is there baby.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:15 PM

I had the 5/100,000 warranty on my truck, but I bought it with 92,000 on it. Also, that I was told that just covered the motor, no drivetrain. Im not sure if AC is covered under Powertrain, but I would think it is. Regardless, Im SOL now, being 4 grand over. Plus, I didnt notice the differance in AC temps until about a month ago, since I never used AC for one, and two, never rode in the passenger seat. Oh well. Im glad there are calims being filed. Id like to do one myself, just dont know where I could go with it, since Im out of warranty. The only defense we have is many trucks have the same symptoms.

Matt Sandt
Old 07-20-2006, 03:33 PM

I don't have dual climate. I did take it to the dealer today. They checked it and said it was low on R134 and added some along with the dye. On the way home I had 2 temp probes installed and once the right side dipped about 10* warmer than the left which is a vast improvement. Going to run it about a week and see how it goes.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:34 PM

Took it back to the dealer today. No leaks detected no idea how to fix it. Called DC at 800-992-1997 and open up a file. They told me to take it back to the dealer and give them my file number. Not sure what that will do. Anyone ever had it really fixed proper? Also they took care of a recall item while I was there.

Quick Reply: A/C warranty info update - $800 DC assist