3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

A/C Recall????

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:37 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:A/C Recall????

A compressor will drop out when the gas level is too low. The oil for the compressor is carried in the gas - - a pressure switch will sense low pressure and kill the compressor. When the engine is reved it can kick in and when it gets a little warmer and the gas expands, it will then show a higher pressure. I would have them put the gauges on when cold and read the pressures, both high and low sides of the compressor.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not overly impressed with any of the air conditioning since Uncle Sam mandated the change to the RU134 systems. They sure don't perform like they did in the good old days. :
Old 07-20-2003, 10:01 PM

Ive found that on a ot day...when you first start the engine...the AC wont cool down at Idle (The compressor cycles alot at Idle)<br><br>Only when you are moving and even then it takes about 5 minutes for it too cool enough <br><br>But once Cold.....it spits icecubes at you ;D
Old 07-21-2003, 09:44 AM

[quote author=Zeedaddy link=board=17;threadid=15698;start=15#162167 date=1058756463]<br>Ive found that on a ot day...when you first start the engine...the AC wont cool down at Idle (The compressor cycles alot at Idle)<br><br>Only when you are moving and even then it takes about 5 minutes for it too cool enough <br><br>But once Cold.....it spits icecubes at you ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ditto to all of the above except the ice cube thing.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:05 AM

I've had one R134-based AC system perform really well, and believe it or not, this was on a 1994 Ford Aerostar. That thing was so over-engineered I could cool the van off from curb idle after sitting in the water slide parking lot all day. no kidding. <br><br>the 4.0L engine was a piece of low fuel economy junk but the AC was good! my 7,000 lb 4WD towing animal gets better fuel economy than that Aerostar did.<br><br>I've been satisfied with the AC on my 02 RAM. It does just fine even in 100+ degree weather.<br><br>did the AC systems change in 03? do they not work as well as the 02's did?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:29 AM

I can't comment on the 02 but the 03 AC is comparable to my previous 01.5. I was not overly impressed with it either. For me, the colder the better. I am use to the old systems that would just about run you out. Maybe I am expecting too much from the 134 systems. Thanks again Uncle Sam. ??? &gt;
Old 07-25-2003, 11:51 AM

Mine is doing the same thing. I have the remote start and it doesn't get cold by the time i get there. Also blows warm at an idle and the compressor cycles on and off. My neighbour here in my complex at work here is an ac specalest and is going to check it out today. Will let you know the results.<br>Kory
Old 07-25-2003, 08:39 PM

There must be something wrong with your systems!<br><br>Mine blows so cold I could make ice cubes!! (even at idle!)<br><br>It's only been around 85 or so around here, but still...<br><br>Rene
Old 07-26-2003, 12:46 AM

[quote author=Zeedaddy link=board=17;threadid=15698;start=15#162167 date=1058756463]<br>Ive found that on a ot day...when you first start the engine...the AC wont cool down at Idle (The compressor cycles alot at Idle)<br><br>Only when you are moving and even then it takes about 5 minutes for it too cool enough <br><br>But once Cold.....it spits icecubes at you ;D<br>[/quote]Ditto on that for me too!
Old 07-26-2003, 08:02 AM
JKE

I run on recirc all the time. Fan on position 3 to start. Within 5 minutes everyone is compaining about being cold so I move it to position 1...If we are in it longer than 15 mins, I have to change the temp setting because I start freezing!<br><br>Works better than the new 4 runner. I will not complain about the air on this one..... <br><br>John
Old 07-26-2003, 09:35 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

Mine is cold even at idle on a very hot day. I tried the recirc when I get into a boiling hot cab. It does not seem to work any better than if I just use normal high. My theory is on recirc there a large volume of extra hot air in the cab that needs to be cooled down. This takes time. On normal high it brings in cooler air from outside and pushes that hot air out thru the vents. This makes a smaller volume of hot air that needs cooling therefore similar time and less energy wasted.<br>Now, is someone going to tell me that my theory is just air?<br>BTW, those silver flexible sun shields make a huge difference when I leave my truck out in the hot sun. Without it we have to leave the doors open for a minute or two before we drive off and even with the air on high it takes a while to become comfortable. With it we just get in, drive off, turn the air on high for a minute or two and we are comfortable.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:26 PM
cp

That's the way to do it--bring in the relatively cool outside air when the cab is hot, even leaving windows down if need be. Once the cab temp comes down to ambient, then switch to recirculate.<br><br>My '03 doesn't do very well at idle, either. I have a '98 Ranger that will chase you out of the cab. So much so that it will cause eyeglasses to fog up when you get out of the cab.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:50 PM

My '03 does the same thing on a very hot day. It cycles but no cold air until you get some rpm's on the motor. Then it spits out ice cubes!
Old 07-27-2003, 11:41 PM

I think I may have found the culprit....the fan clutch, when the compressor cycles @ Idle, the fan wasnt engaged.

maybe just installing a small electric fan on the condensor and have it come on only when the A/C is on, might help

It seems that at Idle there isnt enough air moving through there

Quick Reply: A/C Recall????