3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

A/C Recall????

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Recall????

???Has anyone heard of this ???<br><br>when at a stand still and engine temp is less than 180 degrees. The A/C will not work. <br><br>This is what my dealer told me was wrong with my A/C and dodge knows it and is coming out with a computer upgrade to fix the issue.<br><br>
Old 06-09-2003, 08:13 PM

Re:A/C Recall????

I haven't heard of it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Mine seems to be working fine. Even the defrost function is working with a cool engine. <br><br>What do you mean &quot;does not work&quot;? The compressor spins but no cold air comes out of the vents, or the compressor doesn't spin, or?<br><br>What did the dealer say when you asked for any recall number for documentation purposes? Who at the dealer did you talk to? Call him back for more info.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My A/C works great with the engine hot or cold.<br><br>MikeyB
Old 06-09-2003, 10:25 PM

My A/C works great even at startup. Use the defrost during cold and rainy weather. Nothing wrong in 15K miles. ;D
Old 06-10-2003, 12:48 PM

It is only when you are stopped and the motor isn't 180 degrees.<br><br>You can hear the compressor clicking on and off and the air won't get cold.<br><br>As a mattor of fact if you start moving, it will start to get cold then stop again, BAM it starts to warm up.<br><br>Just came back from a Colorado River trip, where it was 110 degrees. This A/C problem was huge for me out there.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:03 PM

[quote author=Carnage link=board=17;threadid=15698;start=0#147805 date=1055267304]
It is only when you are stopped and the motor isn't 180 degrees.
You can hear the compressor clicking on and off and the air won't get cold.
As a mattor of fact if you start moving, it will start to get cold then stop again, BAM it starts to warm up.
Just came back from a Colorado River trip, where it was 110 degrees. This A/C problem was huge for me out there.
[/quote]

In addition to warm air blowing out of the vents, it sounds like your dealer is blowing warm air up your skirt. Bottom line is this, tell him to drop the excuses and fix it. Go visit him one morning and ask to test drive a CTD sitting on the lot; and turn on the AC first thing and hold your hand next to the vent. Maybe its a defective AC clutch.

BTW. how do you know its 180 degrees? Do you have a digital readout or something? I don't think mine says 180 anywhere.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:32 PM

&gt;He might be blowing hot air at me &gt;...maybe I should take it to another dealer and see what they say about that. ???<br><br>My temp gauge has 200 degrees so you kind of estimate. I got the 180 degree firgure from the dealership. That is what they told me
Old 06-10-2003, 06:52 PM

Better try another dealer. Sounds like some hooey to me. <br><br>2 cents
Old 06-10-2003, 09:45 PM

Some Dealers will say anything to the customer, i.e. &quot;the CTD in Dodge has 8 spark plugs, called the Hemi&quot;, &quot;Must use Mopar Oil Filters or Warranty is Void&quot;, &quot;CTD uses Mid-Grade un-leaded fuel&quot;, &quot;Standard Output Cummins Turbo Diesel comes without a Turbocharger&quot;.

Yep, How some can spin a yarn.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:45 AM

Carnage, when I got home after work, I started the Beast up and turned the AC on. It was 85F outside, and the engine temp was certainly cooler than 180; and it was sitting in the driveway: AC worked great, blasted out nice cold air.<br><br>It sounds like your dealer got what he was looking for: a new vehicle sale. Customer support may not be his strong suit.<br>
Old 06-11-2003, 10:43 AM

This was the service department telling me this!! didn't notice the issure until I had the truck a week or two. <br><br>I'll try another dealer. I don't like to be lied to and that is what that dealer is doing to me. &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<br><br>NO GOOD DIRTY :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X..@&amp;?!
Old 06-14-2003, 11:58 PM
Muted User

Carnage<br><br>I noticed this the other day on my truck. I left it running for about five minutes with the A/C on. When I got back in it the A/C didnt seem to be working I checked the gauge and it was well under 200 and as soon as I stared driving it stared blowing cold air again.<br><br>
Old 07-15-2003, 10:04 PM

I was a production engineer at sanden for 13 yrs, the company that makes the compressors for our trucks, may be able to help on some things, just ask if need be!
Old 07-15-2003, 10:47 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

This may sound like a silly comment, but when you notice no cold air coming from the A/C what setting do you have the control set at? Next time this happens, without doing anything else just try setting the control to a colder setting. It could be that the temperature is set too high for the ambient temperature which causes the A/C to cycle off. Also next time there is no cold air lift the hood or crawl underneath and see if the A/C clutch is engaged. If it is engaged and you still have no cold air then you may have a problem.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:34 AM

Questiion for you? Did the fan kick in when you first started moving and how warm was it outside when this happened? It sounds like a normal condition that occurs when you come to a stop for a long period of time so the engine can ensure that the Tranney, Oil, &amp; engine coolants are properly cooled down. The computer will cutout the AC until you get moving again to keep from having a overheating problem. I just finished a cross the US trip and had to use the AC alot on the way back to the West Coast. My Temp gauge would cycle between about 180 &amp; 250 while pulling long hills with the AC on. It normally drop to about 190 when sitting in traffic except when pulling off the fan would kick in until I got enough air flow accross the radiators which would somtimes cause the AC to kick off until airflow was regained. ALL NORMAL ops. Just my pennys worth ;D

Quick Reply: A/C Recall????