3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

A/C freezing up??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C freezing up??

Just got back from a trip to Savannah Georgia over the weekend. I pulled our 5er down to store it at the in-laws in anticipation of our move to Jacksonville later this month. On the way down cruising at 65-70 A/C on, outside temp mid 70's and rain coming down hard, the fan quit blowing air. Turned it on high and barely anything. Turned off the A/C and left the fan on and slowly the air started blowing. It took a couple of minutes to get back to full speed. Turned the A/C back on and all was fine. It did this twice, once I had the air on re-circulate the other time normal outside. Both times it was raining hard. The rest of the trip it worked fine. Any ideas to what would have caused this?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine started doing that.

Later on it started dripping water on the passenger floor before it started not blowing air...

I tried the old "shop vac on the condensation drain" trick to try to unplug it, but it didn't help. Since I was under warranty, I just took it in and they cleaned out the whole chamber in there under warranty.

Anyhow, I would guess your condensation drain is getting marginally clogged and/or scale or mildue is building up in there slowing the water's path to drain.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:08 AM

take a look at previous threads about ac going south. You will find that most problems are with the ev sensor. The catch is to get it to act up while the dealer has it in there. The evaporator is not defrosting the fins and turns into a solid block of ice and the air can't move through till you manually defrost it by putting it on vent.
Mine went in and the answer was "theres nothing wrong with it", cause it would'nt act up while they had it
Old 08-01-2005, 02:44 PM

FACTORY SCREW UP.

NOT ENOUGH GAS CHARGE.

GREGG S
Old 08-01-2005, 05:36 PM

Mine just got fixed for this, the dealer replaced and relocated the fin temp sensor. I am not sure if this fixed it yet because I haven't taken a trip with it yet but the air seems a little colder.