3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

A/C Cutting Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A/C Cutting Out

My A/C just recently started cutting out while I'm in traffic. It only does it on the higher settings and will kick back in after 5-10 seconds. I thought it might be the evaporator freezing but it shouldn't be coming in and out like it is. What do I need to check? Could it just need a recharge? Thanks

-Steve
Old 07-04-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to have my evaporator core replaced. It was doing the same. Just a slow leak, but once it was down it would cut out. I believe there is a sensor that will not allow it to run when the system is low on freon. Just take it to the dealer and the warranty will cover it, if you are still under the mileage.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:28 PM

could be low in charge indicating a leak.

condensor clogged in front. bugs

cabin filter clogged.

poor air flow, bad fan clutch maybe. watch temp.

try on recuirculate and see if that helps.

you have two switches for low pressure and high pressure. both will cut out compressor if low is to too low or high is to too high. most likly its the low switch.

could be anything, check the above. if nothing take it in.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:37 PM

It ended up being the blower motor. I figured it was something in the electrical system but I took it to an A/C shop and they said the blower motor was cutting in and out and the electrical system had nothing to do with it. Ended up being $175 parts and labor. Whole lot cheaper than it could have been...
Old 07-18-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by leonesm
It ended up being the blower motor. I figured it was something in the electrical system but I took it to an A/C shop and they said the blower motor was cutting in and out and the electrical system had nothing to do with it. Ended up being $175 parts and labor. Whole lot cheaper than it could have been...

should have said the blower was not working sometimes or it didnt blow as hard. you couldnt tell the blower was not working.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:25 PM

Had mine replaced on my 05, a/c only worked on the highest setting.
Replaced the blower motor and resistor under warranty, fixed it right up
Old 07-19-2006, 09:29 PM

I'm going to have to replace the resistor as well. When the blower motor is working it moves more air than before but it still just works when it wants to. It'll work fine all day and then cut out on the way home. The resistor should be in tomorrow and hopefully that will solve my problem...
Old 07-24-2006, 09:34 PM

Resistor still hasn't solved my problem. It works when I first start it in the morning and by the end of the day it won't do anything. When it cuts off for the first time I can turn the switch to off and then back on and it'll work again but for a shorter period of time and eventually it won't work anymore after I've repeated the process so many times. Anybody got any ideas? The guy at the AC shop is kinda stumped and I'm running out of patience.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:59 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by leonesm
Resistor still hasn't solved my problem. It works when I first start it in the morning and by the end of the day it won't do anything. When it cuts off for the first time I can turn the switch to off and then back on and it'll work again but for a shorter period of time and eventually it won't work anymore after I've repeated the process so many times. Anybody got any ideas? The guy at the AC shop is kinda stumped and I'm running out of patience.
Have you looked at the Blower Motor Relay in the Power Distribution Center? There is a way to test it after you pull it out, but if it is intermittent it should fail the test intermittently. Replace the relay (pull out the old, push in the new) if its cheap and see if it still cuts out. If you don't want to replace it, trade it with a similar relay in the PDC if there is one. Remember though, you may be moving a bad relay to another circuit.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:11 AM

I'll try that. It's back at the AC shop now and hopefully he'll figure it out. I'm hoping it's not the control head because that will be expensive...

I don't think it is because I still have the AC light working when the actual AC isn't. The problem started out as a once in a blue moon type of thing and has gradually become worse over the past month or so
Old 07-28-2006, 09:13 PM

He replaced the control head and it worked again for about 15 minutes. The shop has it back now and is supposed to look at it again tomorrow. The owner is a real good guy and wants to keep working on it until he fixes it and charged me initially for the blower motor but is going to refund my money and remove any parts that haven't solved the problem. I know a dealer wouldn't do that and I'm going to keep working with him but it still doesn't make my truck have A/C...

The control head was his last attempt and the part wasn't as expensive as expected. I don't know what could cause it to do what it's doing but it has to be something electrical with the blower motor. I can hear the compressor operate as it should but nothing happens after that.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:59 PM

Wiring Melted

We found the root of the problem. Turns out a wire in my steering column that eventually powers the blower motor was melted. I'm not sure if I'm going to splice into the harness and repair it or if I can order a specific section of the harness to replace it, but it's definately the problem.

My column has never been taken apart or had any type of alarm or accessory spliced in. It is basically a design flaw in the wiring of the vehicle...
Old 08-25-2006, 09:57 PM

Im suffering from the same probem after my Juice install today. Where at in the steering column was it melted, and what color is the wire??
Old 08-26-2006, 02:22 AM

I just got my truck back today from getting a new AC pump installed. my pump froze up at 31000 miles. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.....
Old 08-26-2006, 04:35 AM

If your JUICE has a ground move it to another location.Unplug it and see if ac/blower etc.works ok.That issue I've read about before.There has been a post eaither here or on TDR about his truck BURNING to the ground and it started at the steering coulumn.

Quick Reply: A/C Cutting Out