3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

a/c cold on drivers side warm on passenger

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a/c cold on drivers side warm on passenger

I have a 2005 Heavy Duty Diesel 3500 4x4. When I idle or am running slow my a/c blows warm air on the passenger side while blowing cold on the drivers side. Usually when I get back up to speed the passenger side starts blowing cold again untill I stop or slow down then the process starts all over again. I do not have the dual climate control option. Any ideas?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:36 PM

I haven't ran into this on our trucks, but the A/C may be low on refrigerant. Newer vehicles use really low amounts of refrig. so if they lose just a little bit it affects performance. I work for a BMW dealership and its common to see that on X5s. They only hold about 1lbs of refrig. It'll do funny things if it is low. Check that first.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is the same way. Guess I better keep an eye on this post to see what kind of answer's you get.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Banned

i see this quite often on cars that come through the dealer check your blend doors.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a common problem with the newer diesel trucks. There was a recent post a few days ago about someone on here who got $800 from Dodge/Cummins for repairs, and a few have been trying to file claims. There is no problem with the truck, just a manufacturer defect. Do a search and you will find some information.

Matt Sandt
Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ighlight=A%2FC

There is the link. If yours is under warranty still, there is a good chance you can get something done about it. Good luck.

Matt Sandt
Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 AM

I have the same problem here and plan on taking it in soon. I'll suggest they check for low levels of refrigerant first and go from there. Will advise.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:35 PM

MANY MANY posts and threads on this issue.Low ac charge.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:03 PM

not doubting, just asking....how could a low charge make 1/2 the system blow ice cold and the other luke warm?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 PM

Thanxs for any and all help...but I agree if it has a low charge how does it blow cold on one side all the time and cold/warm on the other side?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:39 PM

The center duct on my drivers side blows air at 40 degrees while the center duct on the passenger side blows air at 65 degrees. That is at 90 degrees ambient temperature (on the overhead). I have the dual zone control, both set to coldest setting, on MAX, fan on HIGH. I just don't see how it can be low refrigerant when one side is that cold. They replaced the "lower heater box" last month but that did not fix the problem. It goes back to the dealer again next month for another shot at it.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Casey Balvert
The center duct on my drivers side blows air at 40 degrees while the center duct on the passenger side blows air at 65 degrees. That is at 90 degrees ambient temperature (on the overhead). I have the dual zone control, both set to coldest setting, on MAX, fan on HIGH. I just don't see how it can be low refrigerant when one side is that cold. They replaced the "lower heater box" last month but that did not fix the problem. It goes back to the dealer again next month for another shot at it.
I had the blend door problem rear it's ugly head just after my bumper to bumper warranty expired. I was able to get DC to pay for 1/2 of the TSB. I did not have the temperature difference problem until after the TSB was performed. If I did it was not nearly as bad. The dealer found the blend door had broken again. This was about three weeks after having the TSB performed. They did the job again but the temperature variance problem was still there and they could not fix it. It does seem a little better than before but it is far from being right. I believe it is a design flaw and DC must know about it.

The first time the TSB was performed only a few minor scratches incurred. When they tried to diagnose the problem the tech decided to pry on the woodgrain on the center panel. His screwdriver slipped and scratched the crap out of the woodgrain and the corner of the radio. I assume they had to disconnect the radio before attempting to reflash for blend door operation. I am not a DC tech but even I know that prying on the woodgrain insert is not how the center panel comes off. The whole panel comes off and the starting point is at the litter bag hook. The service manager said he would order a new panel. He did so and it was installed when they did the TSB for the second time. I had to pick my truck up after the service department was closed. I could not believe the condition my truck was in. Leather steering wheel scratched in numerous locations, a dent in the front of the driver side door panel and too many other scratches to mention all of them. Even the supposed new center panel was a mess. It looked as if they must have got it at a salvage yard. It looked worse than the one it replaced. I used some plastic cleaner and polish on it. It is ok but far from perfect. I am sick of the way my truck is treated when in for service. It goes in clean and scratch free. It comes back filthy and scratched to heck and back. They didn't even bother to wipe off the antifreeze that was some how sprayed all over the interior. I am fed up with this dealer. I have not been back since and never will go back for any reason. For now I just have to be content with a mutilated truck. Good luck to all whom takes ther truck in for this AC problem. I suggest you just live with it for you risk having your truck screwed up for a problem that is a design flaw and can't be fixed.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:46 AM

Took mine in for the relocation of the Fin Temp Sensor.Pulled dash etc.No issues with the repair.Done in a day and all put back togather nicly.Depends on the TECH working on it.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:14 AM

I agree there are good ones and bad ones, just like luck. It seems like my luck is bad and I always have one of the bad techs working on mine.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:26 AM

im taking in in early next week for this, ill keep y'all posted.

Quick Reply: a/c cold on drivers side warm on passenger