3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

A/c Blower Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/c Blower Problem

i need some help on a 2003 dodge truck.
my wife was driving yesterday with the a/c blower set to medium, hit a huge pothole and the a/c quit blowing/cooling. she turned the fan to high and the a/c will blow and cool, but any other setting and it will shut off the fan and compressor.

is this the blower resister that has gone bad? do i need a new control head? any ideas?
Old 09-13-2006, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck has starting having an intermittent problem with the fan blower too. Sometimes the fan will not come back on after a stop. Sometimes when I shut the fan control to off........the blower stops...but the a/c compressor indicator light is still on and I hear the compressor cycling. Then at that point I can turn the blower control back on and it won't work.

If I take my hand and lightly tap the a/c ventwork under the glovebox it will start working normally again, at least for a while.

The air blows cold when it is running and I haven't noticed it stopping while going down the road.

Any ideas guys? My 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty is gone.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CCOUGHRAN1
i need some help on a 2003 dodge truck.
my wife was driving yesterday with the a/c blower set to medium, hit a huge pothole and the a/c quit blowing/cooling. she turned the fan to high and the a/c will blow and cool, but any other setting and it will shut off the fan and compressor.

is this the blower resister that has gone bad? do i need a new control head? any ideas?

You blew the resistor. Very easy to fix. Stick you head under the glove box. You will see the blower motor with 2 wires coming out of it. Beside that you will see another wiring harness plugged in( just off to the left) 2 screws are holding it in. Take out 2 screwsm resistor drops down/ unplug it. Drive down to dealer, show them the part. They give you new part. You pay for new part and intall. Presto problem solved. Part cost about $60. When they are blown they only work on high. It's a safety issue.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
My truck has starting having an intermittent problem with the fan blower too. Sometimes the fan will not come back on after a stop. Sometimes when I shut the fan control to off........the blower stops...but the a/c compressor indicator light is still on and I hear the compressor cycling. Then at that point I can turn the blower control back on and it won't work.

If I take my hand and lightly tap the a/c ventwork under the glovebox it will start working normally again, at least for a while.

The air blows cold when it is running and I haven't noticed it stopping while going down the road.

Any ideas guys? My 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty is gone.
You should look into rplacing your ignition switch. 04.5 have a tsb out about this problem. You can go to dealer and pay them to rewire it or just replace the ignition switch very easy to do. I had this same problem with my truck. I got the wiring diagram for the blower and found it ran through the ignition switch. you need a t-15 to take apart coloum. Then the switch is held in by a couple torx screws and then just unclips. Very easy to do. Part only cost 20 and takes about and hour for a novice
Old 09-14-2006, 04:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDave12768
You should look into rplacing your ignition switch. 04.5 have a tsb out about this problem. You can go to dealer and pay them to rewire it or just replace the ignition switch very easy to do. I had this same problem with my truck. I got the wiring diagram for the blower and found it ran through the ignition switch. you need a t-15 to take apart coloum. Then the switch is held in by a couple torx screws and then just unclips. Very easy to do. Part only cost 20 and takes about and hour for a novice

Dave,

So you are saying that my a/c blower switch is related/connected thru my ignition somehow?? Your truck had the same problem with the a/c blower not coming on and the compressor not going off? That is weird. I know nothing about this kind of stuff....I just would have never guessed it had anything to do with the ignition. Mine will work great, then it won't intermittently. A tap on the ductwork under the glove box...and all is well. For a while. I'll try to find the TSB about it. Thanks for the info. IF you have any more info on this please let me know.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:55 AM

thank you.

i will try to get it swapped out today. i will update as well.

chris
Old 09-14-2006, 10:25 AM

looks like i got lucky.
the plug under the blower motor had come unplugged, i plugged it back in, and everything is working great.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

chris
Old 09-14-2006, 04:19 PM

I am not sure about all your problems. I never had to bang on my dash to get it to work. I just got all the wiring diagrams for the Blower motor. And it goes from the fuse box #4 fuse to the ignition switch (2 big blue wire 10g coming off top) then over to Blower motor/resistor. Does your blower start up at all? Does the a/c condensor kick in? When I had my problem the dealer pointed me in the right direction. Told me all about the resistor and what to check and then gave me the wiring diagram for the Blower motor. So don't bang on anything and check for power. You may just have a stick door
Old 09-14-2006, 04:55 PM

I had a problem with my blower motor at one point, it wouldn't come on at all, then would only come on high. Got out the Haynes manual and read through the troubleshooting there. Said unplug the blower motor and plug back in. . . hasn't caused any trouble since. Might give that a try????